Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Croke Park hosts 'foreign games'

vCash
    the GAA will probably tell rugby and football to stick it when tin shed is completed

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Won't be so much of a tin shed IWB when complete take a look
    here

www.lrsdc.ie/gallery/photocategory.asp?PCID=34

but I agree this is probably a very temporary arrangement. In truth I don't think the IRFU can justify such a large stadium on an on-going basis. There are only 2 or 3 6Nation games each year (depending on rota) and possibly 3 Autumn internationals (of which 1 is usually a lesser side). Would be a very costly white elephant for such a few occasions. The risk in having such a big stadium is that if it is not full then it can be worse than playing in a smaller packed ground IMHO.

Anyway I will certainly be doing my best to experience Croke Park just in case this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. By the way do remember that CP is also getting on a bit, it is certainly in a different league to the current Lansdowne but by the time the new development is complete CP may look even more dated.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Isn't the football played at Lansdowne normally though as well Flat-top?
    What sort of crowds do they attract?
    If I had the chance I would definately get to a Croke Park fixture because I doubt it will ever happen again.

vCash
    They do indeed play football at Lansdowne (I thought you called in soccer Burgs!) but once again the quality of teams that Ireland get at home do not tend to generate crowds in excess of 80,000.

I think the longer term aim of the Irish Sports Bodies is to develop several grounds outside of Dublin (eg Ravenhill, Donnybrook, The Sportsground, and Thomond Park). They should have 2 or 3 grounds capable of holding around 25,000 and a couple that could take maybe 15-16,000, that added to the 50,000 at Lansdowne will provide sufficient range to satisfy the needs of Rugby and Football without the need to beg the GAA to use CP. There is even a rumour that Ireland would bid to host the RWC next time it is due to be played in the NH and with this range of grounds (better than NZ could offer), plus the hugely improved transport arangements in Ireland, not to mention the Craic it would be a tournament to relish.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2