Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Booing

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash

Booing

This topic has been brought up on more then one occasion in these forums, (the first time in October 2005). I think there is something that we need to consider before the start of the new 2008 Super14 season and on in to the future.

Most of the “veterans” of TWF will be well aware of my feelings on the subject of Booing. For the newer people, I will keep it simple. I humbly believe that there is no place for booing in sport. Ever. Not the opposing team, not the Referee, not for a high shot. Not ever. This is my own opinion and I am not big or tough enough to force my views on anyone. This is still a free country and we are all able to form our own views. But, for those of you out there who disagree with me, I would like for you to consider some things before you go to your next match, of any sport.

A lot of supporters seem to get blinkers on when they go to a match and they seem to forget about who is around them, the language used by some spectators at games of any code is a disgrace, kids go to these games, old folks go to these games, ladies go to these games. I would like to think that these same people wouldn’t use that sort of language in front of their own grandmother or other members of their family. Please don’t misunderstand me, I am not saying do not have a good at the match. But you can hardly sit in the stands abusing the players the referee and the scoreboard attendant when one row in front of you is a group of 9 years olds.

But back to the topic. In Perth in 2008 there are going to be a couple of unusual things happen. First up the West Coast Eagles will be playing matches against the former Captain and champion player Chris Judd. I am willing to put all my vcash on the fact that their will be a very vocal part of Eagles Supporters that will boo him.

Why? Did he bad mouth the Eagles when he announced he was leaving? Did he not win a Brownlow Medal? A Grand Final? Clubs best and Fairest? Why did he leave WA – to go back to his home state of Victoria to be with his family. Is that such a crime. Shouldn’t all West Coast Eagle fans thank him for what he gave to their club?

To a lesser extent the Emirates Western Force will play against one of their former favorite sons Digby Ioane, who returned home to Queensland to be closer to family. Will he be booed when he plays the Western Force? Probably. Why? Because he was home sick, its ridiculous to think that 2 players that gave blood sweat and tears to two clubs are expecting to be treated so badly when they return.

Personally I just don’t think its right.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    I don't think Digby will get noticeably booed - I only heard cheering at his last game at subi ..

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Player
    vCash
    i think judd has done enough for the club to earn the supporters respect regardless. and i see know reason to boo digby (despite me jokingly bagging him in another thread). i also dont feel excessive abuse or swear words should be hurled around at a family friendly event. on the other hand if the ref makes a bad call or theres a high shot i see no issue with booing or giving them a bit of crap or booing and having a dig to try and unsettle opponents, as long as you dont go to far. after all if a opposition player made a bad error a few mins ago and is standing a few meters from you isnt it your job as a fan of your team to have a dig at them about it?
    just my views

vCash
    your right but i think a bit of booing makes the game fun.

i sometimes boo the other team when there is some bad sportsmanship or when something stupid happens like when the quick line out try was scored against blues. i think its ok for stuff like that, like bort said as long as it doesnt go to far.

there is always a kiwi i mean idiot near you that takes it way to far. usually if you can embarrass them they will shut up and you can watch the game in peace.

Player
    vCash
    I don't reckon Ioane will get booed. Rugby fans in my experience are much more in love with rugby than with their team and always treat opposition with respect. The only booing I've ever seen at a Rugby game is 'mock' booing, to get a smile out of an opposition supporter sitting nearby.

Footy (AFL) has the worst crowd behaviour I've ever seen (though admittedly I've never been to an English football (soccer) match). People can be animals, even to towards their own team. Remember that Richmond fan spitting on their coach a few years ago?
    I can guarantee that Judd gets booed though. WA footy fans (and Eagles fans ESPECIALLY) are notoriously belligerent and even abusive at games.

We should be thankful the game we love is to complicated to attract morons like that as fans...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyM View Post
    We should be thankful the game we love is to complicated to attract morons like that as fans...
    Well said.

Atleast thats one good thing about the complex rules!

vCash
    Do you really think the Reds can massage him into a threat - he has a lot of potential but he needs more constancy which we were just about getting there with the Force - not sure how he will fare with the Reds

All for a bit of marketing to get more bodies in the gate

However am against booing to - am thinking a lot of ex eagle fans would enjoy a good fast game without the hassles and hang ups of Weagles - no booing of refs - clapping the opp - eerie silence for kicks - what an experience that would be for the new punters - maybe I'm harking back to a different age !

On a personal note - I have apologised to my children for my language during a match - and was told to F@@@ @@@ by my daughter - another side to my child

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyM
    People can be animals, even to towards their own team. Remember that Richmond fan spitting on their coach a few years ago?
    I can guarantee that Judd gets booed though. WA footy fans (and Eagles fans ESPECIALLY) are notoriously belligerent and even abusive at games.
    yea some people can be animals but there is always a few idiots at every sport game. most people at eagles games act fine and are there to enjoy the game. there is always going to be an idiot sitting near you who is there to drink and shout. eagles get twice as much people which makes twice as much idiots.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    ok exile,I will APPLAUD the next high shot I see

get real

vCash
    I agree with Exile, though like Jazza, I do think that there's a place for booing unsportsmanlike behaviour.
    And I certainly wouldn't boo someone for moving to another team - these guys aren't from WA, so what's wrong with them wanting to move home? In this professional era for the sport, it's just like moving job. You give your best to your employer, and if you change jobs, you do the same for your new employer.

Keeping the Faith ... right here in Perth!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I disagree... Booing is a way of letting someone know what you think .. but it doesn't mean it is permanent .. anyone remember Gilchrist's first game at the waca ????

Get over it !

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    Seems to me the majority (though it be slight) are in favour of respect for every player, until that respect is proven to be undeserved. Teams should be clapped to and from the field, good plays should be appreciated no matter who performs them and unsportsmanlike behaviour and ridiculous reffing decisions should be booed! I'd be interested to know whether 'geeing up' players is in a similar category to booing,I think it is not. I believe having a dig at an opposition player is a perfectly acceptable form of gamesmanship which will be even more fun when we have a real stadium.

I remember the serve the crowd gave Wendell when he played at Subi. There wasn't a whole lot of booing, most of it was just smart comments shouted by wags in the crowd,lots of them really funny. I'm sure Wendell couldn't hear a word, but every time he touched the ball, some stand would chuckle. That really got under his skin, and the vision of him trying to pump himself up by egging the crowd on to do more still sticks in my mind. The reason this is legitimate form of abuse was evident that day, Wendell responded to the crowd pretty well, two tries, a pretty solid defensive game and we lost, points to him!

My 2c

C'mon the

vCash
    I just remembered one instance of booing which REALLY bugs me, and that's when there's a Mexican wave going round and a section doesn't join in.
    Now if this happens pre-match or at halftime fair enough (and in cricket at drinks/meal breaks). However where it happens during the match it's inappropriate.
    How would you feel if you were playing and instead of support all you could hear were boos? You'd be concentrating on playing the match so you wouldn't know it's directed at the crowd rather than the pitch...
    It actually puts me off joining in a wave, which really should just be a positive way of getting the crowd CHEERING!

Keeping the Faith ... right here in Perth!

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Why do I get the feeling that this thread is all about me?

vCash
    Sometimes booing is a form of love. Terrell Owens Dallas Cowboy reciever, ex Philadelphia Eagle comments on being booed in Philadelphia: "They still love me," he said. "I don't care what they say, those boos aren't really boos. There's a lot of love in those boos. If I got traded to the Eagles right now, they would love me."

So next time you're at a game Exile, show someone some love!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast