Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Will Mitchell Join Deans with Wallabies?

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Will Mitchell Join Deans with Wallabies?

If some Australians are cringing at the thought of one New Zealander taking over the Wallabies, they should think twice - don't rule out John Mitchell joining Robbie Deans at the helm of the men in gold.

After being overlooked for the All Blacks job Deans is now the frontrunner for the Wallabies position.

He has the coaching credentials if not the birthright for the position and given the unashamed drive by ARU boss John O'Neill to lure Deans across the Tasman, it's hard to see anything but his appointment to the job later this week.

If that pans out as expected the next question will be who does Deans put on his coaching staff?

His old mate and All Blacks boss Mitchell could be top of his hit-list.

Dumped by New Zealand after they led the All Blacks to a 2003 World Cup semi-final loss at the hands of the Wallabies, they have quietly done the business on either side of the Tasman and remained good friends ever since.

Deans has maintained his grip on Super rugby with the Crusaders and Mitchell has made a success of quickly building the new Western Force franchise into a competitive Super 14 outfit.

Clearly content in Perth, Mitchell has resisted the temptation of going for the head job with the Wallabies.

But he has declared his willingness to help out as an assistant coach if the mix is right. You would think there would be no better mix for Mitchell than reuniting with Deans.

And there would be no greater joy for either of them than getting one back over their old New Zealand bosses.

The possible irony is this whole business is almost unbelievable.

The Australians might squirm at the thought of Deans and Mitchell being in charge of their side. But if they consider Deans the best overall option it might be hard to argue against the merits of Mitchell's forward coaching skills to cover their greatest area of weakness - up front.

Mitchell was instrumental in helping mould Sir Clive Woodward's champion England team as the forwards coach before he returned Down Under.

He's a straight-shooter who could certainly help fix the Australian scrum problems.

Whether the Aussies could stomach a double-act is another matter and there are obvious Australian alternatives in Ewen McKenzie, David Nucifora and Laurie Fisher.

There's a wee bit to play out in this scenario yet as Australia come to grips with a foreigner taking over their national side.

And the unease apparently extends to even some of those within the corridors of power in Sydney.

Reports suggest that there are going to be some considerable cost-cutting - perhaps even to the extent of bonuses for some administrators - to cover Deans' reported million dollar a year contract.

Will Mitchell join Deans with Wallabies? - rugbyheaven07.com.au

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    If beating the All Blacks is the aim or benchmark of Australian rugby - I think Deans and Mitchell are the the right men for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Johnstone
    Mitchell has made a success of quickly building the new Western Force franchise into a competitive Super 14 outfit.
    p.s. Wow - an article form the SMH which has nothing negative to say about the Force...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    They are only just catching up though Boss, back when Head Coach names were being thrown around Mitch said he wouldn't nominate but would be happy to look at Assisting to whoever became Head Coach, you would assume that extends to if Deans asks him as well.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach
    If beating the All Blacks is the aim or benchmark of Australian rugby.
    Well IMHO it's not, or shouldn't be at least. It's to be the best. At the moment that benchmark is shared by two SH powerhouses. Again IMHO. With an Aussie coach if possible. Though I readily admit that a Deans/Mitchell brains trust would be hard for the board to resist.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I'll wager that those with any power in the east will make a titantic struggle to keep Mitchell out... As coach of the Force a Mitchell/Deans combination would likely lead to more Force players getting national call ups (woohoo!) which is great for us but for them it is not an event they would like to see happen. They'll kick and scream long and loud enough to make it difficult to say the least.

vCash
    these kiwis are pretty smart..

1.finish 3rd in RWC 2003, not good enough, sack the coach.
    2.rest the squad for half the S14 season, so they are superfit for the important finals in RWC 2007.
    3.re-employ the coach that failed at RWC 2007.
    4.dont give deans the job of all blacks coach.

whats going on over the ditch?...personally i think its great, deans the new wallabies coach by the weekend a top christmas present all round, unless your a kiwi of course.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I'll wager that those with any power in the east will make a titantic struggle to keep Mitchell out... As coach of the Force a Mitchell/Deans combination would likely lead to more Force players getting national call ups (woohoo!) which is great for us but for them it is not an event they would like to see happen. They'll kick and scream long and loud enough to make it difficult to say the least.
    I reckon Mitchell would be pretty hard on his own boys...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    But just think if Australia then went on to lose the 2011 World Cup - SMH and the like could blame it all on the Force (and maybe on New Zealand too) - perfect!!!
    Of course, if Australia won, they wouldn't complain (or would they manage to find something anyway...?).

Keeping the Faith ... right here in Perth!

vCash
    I am hearing from some knowledgeable kiwis up here (is that an oxymoron???) that the reality is that deans and mitch aren't as chummy as we have been led to believe..I tend not to believe that, and in this case NZ politics won't play out so should be great combo...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    If I recall correctly, every time they meet up for a pre-season match or during the season they have a game of squash together. I'd say thats pretty chummy. I doubt Mitch, or Deans for that matter, makes that kind of time for any of the other coaches.

vCash
    Like i said, i don't believe there is any issue...My mate reckons its a NZ thing, but i think they are more mature than that and as a team they are very formidable, and as a Wallabies team politics won't come into it, so perhaps they will become an even better partnership than the one we beat all those years ago...Bring on the Bledisloe i say...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Anyone in Melbourne for The Bledisloe this year (and yes Burgs that includes Nick!) would know that John Mitchell was actually in the Wallabies coaches box for the match. He's helped us out once against Henry, why wouldn't he do it with his old mate Deans??

The vision of Robbie, John and Wallabies Captain Matt Giteau holding "billy" aloft in Auckland late in October 2011 is becoming clearer by the day!!

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by slomo View Post
    these kiwis are pretty smart..

4.dont give deans the job of all blacks coach.

whats going on over the ditch?...personally i think its great, deans the new wallabies coach by the weekend a top christmas present all round, unless your a kiwi of course.....
    I think the board wanted to get out of the cycle of "let's sack a coach after every failed world cup" routine....which is admirable. However, i do believe the Deans is the better coach.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    How is Nick these days TIF?

It wouldn't have been a sacking Skiz, just letting him go at the end of a contract.
    They had the opportunity but (and this is the NZ sourced opinion) they let politics cloud the judgement on the day.
    Good job I reckon, all the better for the other teams, let a bit of internal chaos stir the pot over the ditch

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiza View Post
    I think the board wanted to get out of the cycle of "let's sack a coach after every failed world cup" routine
    Not a bit of it Skiza. Pure politics. The Hatfields and McCoys have nothing on the NZRU and the trench between the North and South of NZ Rugby is far deeper even than "The Ditch". Incoming NZRU CEO Steve Tew and Deans just don't get along. Deans' brother-in-law, Jock Hobbs had to stand down from the process so he was no help and even the Crusaders Boss voted for Henry. Maybe he saw the writing on the wall. Incredibly the NZRU employs the Crusaders coach so Deans will likely get the sack there as well.

Nussy should still get the Wallabies job.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast