Thread: Reds aiming for finals

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Reds aiming for finals

Reds aiming for finals

Story by Sportal for ARU
    Monday, December 10, 2007 - 15:38 PM (AEST)

He may be a rookie coach but Queensland Super 14 boss Phil Mooney is steering clear of cliches and ditching the cautious approach as he attempts to reinvigorate the Reds in 2008.

Inheriting a team which won just two games last season - finishing with a record 92-3 loss to the Bulls and the wooden spoon - Mooney is thinking and talking big.

The first-year coach won't be content with mild improvement next season, telling Sportal: "We are certainly going out there to make the semis."

"It's a bit of cop-out to sit there and say we're re-building and it's a three-year plan or whatever because that gives people an excuse."

"We've got to win back respect from opposition teams and we've got to win back respect from the people who pay to come and watch us every week."

"We're certainly working as hard as we can to be as good as we can."

Helping Mooney's bid to win back some dignity north of the border is Wallaby centre Morgan Turinui, one-Test winger Digby Ioane and former Waratah Chris Siale.

The three new signings will add considerable power and pace to the Reds' backline stocks, with each having a point to prove after being let go by their former clubs.

"They've settled in really well," Mooney said of the trio.

"With Digby the transition into the team hasn't been that great because he comes from up here (Brisbane) and he's played a lot of footy with the boys."

"The change in scenery has been terrific for Morgan. Physically he's in good nick and he's been working really hard."

"Chris Siale has been there or thereabouts with the Waratahs and did really well in the ARC (Australian Rugby Championship)."

"He's been a real breath of fresh air with his enthusiasm and hasn't missed a beat at training."

The Reds begin their Super 14 redemption against the Highlanders at Suncorp Stadium on February 15.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Got some good signings there. I hope they do well, even if its just against the other aussie sides, get a bit of flavour back in the local derbys.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    Reds v Waratahs.......2 teams battling against mediocrity!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    Reds..................Finals....................AH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    A strong Reds is good for rugby, however i think they may still struggle. See a better season and should pants the Tahs.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Helping Mooney's bid to win back some dignity north of the border is Wallaby centre Morgan Turinui, one-Test winger Digby Ioane and former Waratah Chris Siale.

The three new signings will add considerable power and pace to the Reds' backline stocks, with each having a point to prove after being let go by their former clubs.
    I don't recall Digby being let go, I thought he wanted to go.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    I don't recall Digby being let go, I thought he wanted to go.
    i didnt like that statement either
    big diff between letting someone go and granting them a release

vCash
    Why would he make a statement like that? To try to boost crowds? When he doesn't get anywhere near the finals which, based on Super 14 and ARC form, won't happen, he is only building his team up for a massive fall when they fail...usually half way through the season a coach will say after winning a few games 'there is still a long way to go, we aren't talking finals yet'. To not inflate the egos of his players and to foster complacency...yet to do it do early? A rude awakening is on the horizon me thinks....

Can't wait to see the backpedalling when they lose a few

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Can't blame a man for being honest... yeah its a hell of an ambition but its a bit of a cop out when everyone gives their cheesy stock standard responses to some questions. Like 'We just want to go out there and play our best rugby' or 'We'll think about that when it comes were just taking it one game at a time'.

vCash
    I suppose it is all about being defeatist or not...Going into a new season saying we will try to improve doesn't indicate you will "bust your balls" to improve, but saying you are aiming high definately does...Good on him for setting the bar, now lets see them achieve it...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bread View Post
    Why would he make a statement like that?
    BTW Welcome to the site Bread

I have nothing against coaches setting high goals for their organisation. It's far better than the mealy mouthed lawyer-speak that we normally hear. I don't have a problem with a coach saying we're aiming for the finals, as long as they can be man enough to say 'we didn't make it this year, but we've learned some lessons and we'll have another crack next year.

Let's not forget what Super 14 rugby is about, It's all about winning the trophy, and anyone who doesn't have that in their plans at some point is kidding themselves.

But I DO understand the point you're making, he is taking a risk that he'll give the papers a reason to call for his head when he fails.

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I have heard players and Coaches in the past (can't recall who at the moment) say basically if you aren't aiming for the Semi's you shouldn't be in the team.
    I think pre pre-season this is what he should be saying, trying to give the boys some confidence.
    After the first couple of rounds is when the cliche's start coming out depepending on how the season is looking then.
    There is a fairly handy 1st XV in Queensland, I for one aren't ready to stick the boot in as they just might have a real dip under these new laws.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    ^^^^ Well said Burgs. Phil Mooney is no Eddie Jones and he does have a VERY handy team - the blooding of many rookies last year due to injuries will also help with bench strength.

It's ridiculous to be writing off a team like Queensland before a ball has even been kicked. The problems in recent years are well documented but its a state with a huge rugby pedigree and massive amounts of pride and guts. As someone else said - if Qld rugby is strong, Australian rugby is strong.

vCash
    in the end it comes down to who plays better on the day anyway.
    least if they are working overtime to win it will make for intersting games. and make victory so much sweeter because we know there throwing everything they have out there every game