Thread: New laws suit Reds

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

New laws suit Reds

New laws suit Reds

Phil Lutton | December 10, 2007

Queensland rugby coach Phil Mooney says the revised Super 14 laws could transform the ailing Reds from wooden spooners into title threats.

The Super 14 competition will adopt a revised version of rugby's Experimental Law Variations for the coming season, with the changes aimed at speeding up the game and promoting the running rugby that has largely gone AWOL at the top level.

Some of the new laws include backlines being five metres back from the scrum, quick throw-ins can go backwards towards a team's goal line and free kicks instead of penalties for all offences other than offside and foul play.

Mooney joined rival coaches last week at the SANZAR conference and believes the changes will not only benefit frustrated fans but the Reds, who are coming off the worst season in Queensland rugby history.

Mooney, who has taken over from Eddie Jones, says the Reds squad is a good fit for the new laws and could become a "dangerous commodity" if the likes of speedster Digby Ioane take full advantage of the predicted open spaces.

"I think it will be a good fit for us. We've got Digby, Chris Latham, Clinton Schifcofske - guys of that ilk are very good from broken play and there will be more of that," Mooney said.

"Potentially we've got a very good forward pack but there's still a massive emphasis on the set piece. If we can get that up to speed, we'll be a pretty dangerous commodity I reckon."

And Mooney has forecast what will be music to the ears of Reds fans who endured last season's train wreck - a more attacking attitude that will result in more tries and fewer penalties.

"I think you'll probably see teams going out with a more attacking mindset, with a greater emphasis on keeping the ball in play and trying to score the four tries to get the bonus points.

"I think there's also a place for more attacking kicking, shorter kicking, kicking to recover the ball. That's a great skill."

While the new laws should quick the speed in which the ball is recycled, Mooney says the basics of the scrum and the line-out still remain the most crucial elements if the Reds are to get back on track.

"One of the great things about rugby is that there is a place in it for all the body types. The set piece is still immensely important, so the technical excellence from the bigger blokes in the scrum and line-out is vital," he said.

"The bigger guys that can get around the park with the ability to dominate contact and offload is a fantastic commodity. It still caters for all the body types but it will be a better spectacle because as the game progresses, those different body types come to the fore."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Wonder what the odds are on that - Reds contending for title next season. TG any thoughts?

Laugh and the world laughs with you.......
    ......cry and you'll weaken your beer

vCash
    my gut says no chance but my head says Phil has a point!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Ok, I thought it was good the way he was setting high standards aiming for the finals but now I just think he's having a laugh. I'm sorry but with both Queensland teams on the bottom of the ARC ladder how exactly will the Reds be better off than the other Australian teams.

BTW, with ELVs encouraging a free-flowing style of rugby that many Force players (particularly the forwards) are comfortable with does anyone else think we have quite an advantage starting off with a South African trip? Admittedly the Sharks have some devastating runners but they, and the others, are bound to take a little while to adapt to it all.

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Ok, I thought it was good the way he was setting high standards aiming for the finals but now I just think he's having a laugh. I'm sorry but with both Queensland teams on the bottom of the ARC ladder how exactly will the Reds be better off than the other Australian teams.

BTW, with ELVs encouraging a free-flowing style of rugby that many Force players (particularly the forwards) are comfortable with does anyone else think we have quite an advantage starting off with a South African trip? Admittedly the Sharks have some devastating runners but they, and the others, are bound to take a little while to adapt to it all.
    It probably does give the Reds a slight advantage as they have experience but only slight as they still have problems.

I hope you are right with your Force remark, you'd immagine it would give our lads a head start but you need something to have a chance in SA.

Just happy to be here

vCash
    We're already pretty good on the SA road trip TIF, it's the Kiwi road trip that hurts right now.

James, took the words out of my mouth, QLD wooden spooned the ARC by a mile, you'd have to think they aren't going to do a whole lot more in the S14.

C'mon the

vCash
    ^^ Well of course there is the small issue of some of Queensland's better players being transplanted interstate for the ARC. The ARC cannot therefore, be considered to be a true guide as to local form in Super 14. If it were, Melbourne should have a S-14 team and I think we all agree that this would be a joke and a disaster.

But in reality, I can't see Queensland being a title threat, but, injuries aside, I think they will be a strong outfit in 2008 and finish well up. 2007 was the season from hell for injuries, and while Eddie Jones brought his "international program" to train the Reds, this program was too advanced and too difficult for all the rookies who had to step in to replace the injured front line troops.

Mooney's back to basics will suit this outfit just fine.

vCash
    well mooney cant be much worse than jones.
    hes got nothing to loose really, as long as they win at least 3 games.

vCash
    ^^^ Mooney is VERY highly regarded in Australian rugby circles. I'm certain that he will achieve more than a few wins - the Reds will be very competitive.