Thread: Other "Kiwi" Still Hopeful

vCash

Other "Kiwi" Still Hopeful

Note the bit at the bottom

AS SPECULATION continues that the Australian Rugby Union will today choose Robbie Deans as the new Wallabies coach, David Nucifora - the frontrunner until the New Zealander's late application - says he is still up for the job.

Nucifora last night said he did not begrudge Deans his last-minute entry to a race that could end today when the ARU board reviews recommendations from the selection panel, which interviewed the six candidates.

However, Nucifora told the Herald last night that even if he were overlooked this time, he would seek the job again.

"Of course [I will]. Once you feel you have the ability to work at that level, you will. Otherwise why put your hand up for it?" Nucifora said from Auckland, where is still coaching the Blues Super 14 side.

Asked if he would follow Deans's response if he missed out on the Australian role and seek a head coaching position internationally if an opportunity arose, Nucifora said for now he was focused solely on the Wallabies.

"I don't know. That is a bit too far out there at the moment," he said. "And even if I don't get it [the Wallabies], I have a big job here at the Blues getting ready for another season."

It was only after Deans was beaten by Graham Henry for the All Blacks position last Friday that the Crusaders coach expressed his interest in the Australian position to the ARU, paving the way for an interview on Monday night.

Like Deans, Nucifora spoke to ARU chief executive John O'Neill about the Wallabies post at the World Cup in Paris. Until Deans came into the frame officially, the former Brumbies coach and Wallabies hooker was favourite to be appointed by the ARU board, which starts a two-day meeting in Sydney this afternoon.

However, there has been widespread belief that O'Neill's preference was for Deans, who told the ARU that he wanted to concentrate on his All Blacks candidacy and see its outcome before considering the Wallabies.

In the meantime, the Wallabies coach selection panel followed a process of interviewing five shortlisted candidates - Nucifora, Ewen McKenzie, Laurie Fisher, John Muggleton and Alan Jones.

Nucifora had no complaints about the process, even though it allowed for Deans's late entry.

"I don't have any objections. I am happy with the way things have gone. You give it your best shot. If that is not good enough, you try and go better next time," he said.

Nucifora did not question Deans's ability to coach the Wallabies, saying: "I have no doubt if that [appointment] is the case for Robbie, in this instance he will put the very best Wallabies team possible out there on the field."

He also said he was in no position to take issue with Deans's nationality.

"I have gone there [to New Zealand] and coached at this level of football. It would be hypocritical to state otherwise," he said.

However, Nucifora admitted he was hoping the Wallabies position was resolved as soon as possible.

"It is all out of our control now. But this has been going on for a very long time. It would be nice to get it finished," he said.

Meanwhile, 1991 World Cup-winning Wallabies coach Bob Dwyer has joined the chorus of support for Deans.

"He is easily the outstanding candidate, by a hell of a long way. You only have to see the teams he has coached," Dwyer said yesterday. "All his teams play quality rugby, detailed in excellence and accuracy."

"People say that against modern-day defence you can't score tries. But the Crusaders don't have trouble scoring tries. A quality attack will always beat a quality defence. And I think what everyone wants to see is quality."

As for whether Deans should be allowed to fulfil his 2008 Super 14 duties were he appointed by the ARU, All Blacks icon Brian Lochore was clear on his view after retiring as a national selector yesterday.

"I like to keep things tidy. I'm not a two-job person, so I wouldn't do it and I think it will be very difficult for him [Deans] to do it," Lochore said.

"How do you look at the Australian talent when you are full bore with the Crusaders?"

Also on the ARU board meeting agenda is the future of the Australian Rugby Championship, which is expected to be scaled down, with possibly the Melbourne and Perth sides being cut because of losses in the competition's first year.

He also said he was in no position to take issue with Deans's nationality.

"I have gone there [to New Zealand] and coached at this level of football. It would be hypocritical to state otherwise," he said.

However, Nucifora admitted he was hoping the Wallabies position was resolved as soon as possible.

"It is all out of our control now. But this has been going on for a very long time. It would be nice to get it finished," he said.

Meanwhile, 1991 World Cup-winning Wallabies coach Bob Dwyer has joined the chorus of support for Deans.

"He is easily the outstanding candidate, by a hell of a long way. You only have to see the teams he has coached," Dwyer said yesterday. "All his teams play quality rugby, detailed in excellence and accuracy."

"People say that against modern-day defence you can't score tries. But the Crusaders don't have trouble scoring tries. A quality attack will always beat a quality defence. And I think what everyone wants to see is quality."

As for whether Deans should be allowed to fulfil his 2008 Super 14 duties were he appointed by the ARU, All Blacks icon Brian Lochore was clear on his view after retiring as a national selector yesterday.

"I like to keep things tidy. I'm not a two-job person, so I wouldn't do it and I think it will be very difficult for him [Deans] to do it," Lochore said.

"How do you look at the Australian talent when you are full bore with the Crusaders?"

Also on the ARU board meeting agenda is the future of the Australian Rugby Championship, which is expected to be scaled down, with possibly the Melbourne and Perth sides being cut because of losses in the competition's first year.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Perth Now website says Deans is to be announced as New Wallaby Coach at 1pm today - guess we should find out soon

Laugh and the world laughs with you.......
    ......cry and you'll weaken your beer

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Deans announced as Wallabies coach
    By WWOS staff11:00 AEST Fri Dec 14 2007

The Australian Rugby Union has announced that Robbie Deans will coach the Wallabies for the next four years.

Deans becomes the first foreigner to coach the national side.

The appoinment of Deans comes as no surprise, as he was the firm favourite after being overlooked for the All Blacks job. Deans will give up his coaching position at the Crusaders to step into Australia's national role.

The decision is likely to upset the Australian candidates; Ewen McKenzie, David Nucifora, Alan Jones, Laurie Fisher and John Muggleton. Apart from losing out to a New Zealander, the Australians have been through a testing experience which included lodging their applications before the cut-off deadline, facing extensive interviews and being put in a holding pattern while Deans's All Black fate was decided.

Dean's appointment is seen by many as a masterstroke, but there are also plenty of Wallabies supporters who feel the role should have been reserved for an Australian.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Note the bit at the bottom

I hope not!

Sure, it's more costly because the teams are further away than the NSW, ACT and QLD teams but both these teams have a lot of support and i think the advertising will be a lot more high profile this time around and the competition will be a lot more successful.