Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New basketball staduim for Perth

vCash

New basketball staduim for Perth

BGC is to build new $73m sporting complex Construction of a new $73 million basketball and athletics complex will begin in Mt Claremont in the next few weeks, the State Government said today.

Sport and recreation minister John Kobelke said the project would be complete by 2009 and would include a state of the art athletics stadium and eight court basketball facility.

BGC Construction will build the new facilities, with the project to be managed by BGC Perkins Joint Venture.
    The new complex would replace the ageing PerryLakes stadium and would be built on AK Reserve abutting Challenge Stadium, the West Australian Institute of Sport and UWASportsPark.
    “The replacement basketball stadium and state athletics centre are desperately needed to replace the outdated and unsafe facilities at PerryLakes,” Mr Kobelke said in a media statement issued today.
    “The athletics stadium will become the new state of the art home for athletics in Western Australia with a 2,000 seat grandstand and grassed banking for a further 8,000 people.
    “The basketball stadium will be an eight court facility, including a show court and office space for local clubs and BasketballWA."
    Mr Kobelke said the project was part of the State Government's $21 billion capital works program.

JANE HAMMOND
    The West

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    how great of the government - to build a stadium for dozens of people

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    The government really see the big picture. I certainly can't...

Brother Gallagher I hear you

vCash
    73 Million dollars for 10,000 people, at those rates, we can expect 219 Million for a rectangular Rugby Stadium which seats 30,000. Where do we sign?

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    I believe this development will also become home to the brand spanking new offices of RugbyWA, so there is something in it for us!

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    perry lakes was meant to be closed down 2 years ago.
    maybe we should close subi oval?

vCash
    I always found it interesting that we have had to wait so long for our stadium and here we have another for basketball and tennis. Let's take a look at Perth shall we- and we'll just how excessive this waste of money will be:

Arenas already available for Basketball:
    1.Perth Entertainment Centre (If refurbished, cheaper than building a new one and already there,)
    2.Challenge Stadium,
    3.Burswood Dome (they'll probably want to demolish this one too.)

add to that the arenas already available for Tennis:
    4.Royal Kings Park,
    5.State Tennis Centre

Hmm, three for basketball, five for the Hopman Cup, sorry, tennis.

Back in 1991 (92?) I was a supporter of the Perth Kangaroos; a trend-setting fore-runner of the Perth Glory who played in the Singapore National Soccer League. We are currently waiting for the stadium we were promised then. Of course there's no more Kangaroos, or Western Red kangaroos either, we were waiting for their stadium too, back in the days of the Winfield Cup.
    Nice to see that we're still waiting and that our taxpayers money is going towards yet another venue for basketball and tennis. Not that I have anything against them of course, I don't really mind the games; but does the government hope that the force of rugby dies off in this state (aided by a lack of a stadium) so that Subi can be kept and re-developed? Or in fact so that the new "mega-stadium" can be nicely presented to their AFL cronies? Makes you wonder doesn't it?

Out of interest, Perth has had a purpose-built stadium for soccer and rugby for about the last twenty years, it is the Burswood Dome, though its never been used for either of the games for which its field-dimensions were designed. They never even laid a turf pitch, not even once. Now they want to demolish it, probably because we need another tennis & basketball stadium. Maybe it would be to our advantage if someone stopped the demolition just after they get rid of the roof? Maybe we could have a game of rugby there?

Cheers,
    Matty

Last edited by chibi; 22-12-07 at 23:09.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Chibi, welcome,

great first post

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    I thought the Burswood dome was only in operation untill the new indoor arena on wellington st is complete. I also thought buswood dome was going to be closed down untill the government struck a deal with the owners of the dome for the above reason

vCash
    Personally I've heard this too, but the question is, why can't we use it then? I wish the Glory would play there at least. A turf pitch is allowed by FIFA at club level, may help revitalise the team's attendances.

By the way this is a design shot of the Saitama Super Arena near Tokyo, why can't we have something like this:

I don't know if anyone has any links or contacts within the government on this website, but if you know anyone, please urge them to look at this link:
    Saitama Super Arena - Facility Information

vCash
    The Glory were toying with tat idea earlier in the year and i dont know why it fell through, possibly the logistics would have been either difficult or costly or both.

vCash
    Wonder if they were looking at grass or turf installation? At least there's a train station nearby!

Last edited by chibi; 26-12-07 at 11:44.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Chibi, i for one think burswood penninsula is ideal for a sporting and entertainment precinct, unfortunately not too many others agree...At least Packer was gonna throw in a few quid as well, bloody shame it is never gonna happen....Welcome onboard mate...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    Widcats HQ will be at challenge but the will play at the new entertainment center being built on wellington st.

BLACK IS THICKER THAN BLOOD

vCash
    good for the wildcats they needed a new stadium, that place is shocking. the wildcats have been waiting for years for a new stadium and they are only just getting one. how long will we have to wait?

also
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Kobelke
    the project was part of the State Government's $21 billion capital works program.
    surely we can fit into that 21 billion

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast