Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: THE ARC COMPETITION IS FINISHED

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    It wouldn't suprise me if Mitch made another push to get a few young players playing in the ANZC. It also wouldn't be suprising if he copped a lot of negative publicity about it in the East which is entirely hypocritical since its got nothing to do with them and they didn't even really try with the ARC. It annoyed the hell out of me when Matt Carroll (who seems to be as big a knobhead as Growden) said that we needed 'Strong Leadership' in hard times. When are we going to get this strong leadership? It doesn't show when they chicken out of taking a chance and whats the bet with all their strong leadership they won't have another new competition up before the next World Cup.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I wonder how much 'strong leadership' Robbie Deans will be able to bring to bear. The board have effectively hamstrung him in his job as elite coach of Australian rugby.

C'mon the

vCash
    1:Think NSW and QLD hold the balance of power on the ARU board
    2:The ARC exposed a lot of new players to professional coaching techniques - appreciate fully what club coaches do - but lets face it guys with regular jobs can't get the lads to the same level as Mulvihill, Laurie Fisher and the other people who weren't really involved like our own Mitch.

AUS NEEDS AN ARC how else are we to develop new talent

besides which it was FUN going to ME and listening to the lads cajoling each other in that gentle polite manner that they do! even in the rain.

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    They don't even have the guts to put out the statement on the official ARU website. So much for the empty rhetoric on building the game, community support nationwide and "strong leadership".

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    What's gonna happen to Amanda Shalala?

vCash
    COWARDS!!! *shakes fist*
    Come back and fight us like the men you can be, not like the purse-carrying nancy-boys you've been cossetted into thinking you are!!!

poop.

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

vCash
    It is a shame it is over, absolutely piss poor form from the ARU, but to be expected really with the calibre of a snake like Carroll in their ranks...
    I know Fulvio is glad to see the back of it as it detracts from club rugby, and in some respects i agree with him, but this is a tournament which has clashed with a world cup and also club finals both here and over east, causing enourmous angst within the club scene, and poor turn-out and advertising due to RWC...
    A review of this could have analysed this and rectified the situation (in the new year) so that the comp ran after the season ended for club rugby, thereby not clashing with the finals and poaching the talent from the club scene...There also lies another solution, in that the supporters of club rugby are not forced to choose a new team over their local team, or a RWC...
    I believe one more year would have made sense...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    Bit of a shame but they knew they were pushing s--t up hills when it began

http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/f.../dograce-2.jpg
    Dont take on anything until you are fully prepaired.
    Lack of drive will only see your demise

vCash
    Primary Objectives of ARC
    The primary objectives of the Mazda Australian Rugby Championship are:
    • Bridge the widening gap between Club Rugby and Super 14
    • Give aspiring Club Rugby players who are not in a Super 14 squad a clear pathway to representative selection
    • Give Super 14 players who miss out on Wallaby selection the chance to play their way into the Wallaby squad
    • Turn over $23.7 Billion Dollars per Season
    • Develop a deep pool of experienced, battle-hardened players who are ready to step up to Super 14 and Wallaby level.
    • Provide fans with high quality matches, featuring The Best v The Best
    • Further expand Rugby in the non-traditional Rugby states and make Rugby a truly national game
    • Minimal disruption to the Club Rugby season
    • Allow National Competition players to return to Club Rugby the next year, thereby increasing the standard of play in the Club Rugby competition

War is Gods may of teaching Americans Geography

vCash
    This was my idea, and I'll stick by it:

S14 Reserves comp?

For me the major problem of the ARC was the artificially created franchises, I always had a problem with those. That, and the fact that the two worst Australian provinces were split into two and three teams; the ACT was represented by an enhanced Vikings club side, rather than a Brumbies "A," all the while a Melbourne side was there, siphoning further talent away from these weakened teams- and to top it all we then basically fielded the Western Force- and we still didn't win it!!! Man that gave me shits!

Not that I have a problem with expanding into Melbourne

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    A different approach to looking at it may be that from Wallabies to Super 14 there is a multiplication of four to have a big enough pool of players to get an elite International unit together.
    So if the same rule held in "bridging the gap" then the ARU should/could have been gunning for a sixteen team elite Australian Club comp.
    This approach would have allowed the traditional power house clubs to step up in the same manner as the VFL became the AFL in Aussie Rules, so the likes of Sydney Uni, Randwick, Easts etc would have been able to keep their structure in place.
    This approach would have kept the local scene in the East happy while allowing development in Victoria and WA.

As luck would have it, here is the approximate breakdown of top rep origin Clubs for this years ARC Players.

Sydney Uni NSW 25
    Norths NSW 14
    Easts NSW 14
    Eastwood NSW 13
    Randwick NSW 13
    Sunnybank QRU 12
    Gold Coast Breakers QRU 11
    Warringah NSW 11
    Manly NSW 10
    GPS QRU 9
    Brothers QRU 6
    Gordon NSW 6
    Nedlands WA 6
    Vikings ACT 6
    Easts QRU 5
    Souths QRU 5
    University QRU 5
    Wests QRU 5

I say approximate for a couple of reasons.
    Firstly, it is only the figures from the original ARC Squads, not those who joined in during the season.
    Secondly, the Force players (including those in the Rebels) are counted for their WA Clubs, which waters down a couple of the East Coast Club figures, where as the rest of the Rebels players are assigned to their true Club of Origin.

So, to develop some starting point of debate, I would propose a structure of a sixteen team comp like this:

Sydney Uni NSW
    Norths NSW
    Easts NSW
    Eastwood NSW
    Randwick NSW
    Manly/Warringah NSW
    "Greater Western" NSW (ie, the rest of the NSW Clubs based on Wests or Parramatta.)
    Sunnybank QRU
    Gold Coast Breakers QRU
    GPS QRU
    Brothers QRU
    "Associated Brisbane" (ie, the rest of the Brisbane Clubs)
    Canberra Vikings
    "Perth Gold" (Northern Zone, Nedlands or Perry Lakes based)
    "Perth Black" (Southern Zone, Palmyra or Cockburn based)
    Melbourne Rebels

Two Rounds Home & Away, QF, SF & Final.

Let the debates begin!!!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Not a bad idea at all Burgs. We need to remember that the ARU will be running cap in hand tho the NSW/QLD clubs with a proposal, so we need to come up with something that gets the Sydney Uni, Randwick, Eastwood etc names out there. As far as WA is concerned anything that is proposed needs at least one team. I wonder if 2 WA teams will stress the resources of RugbyWA, but am in full agreement that we need to broaden the base of players.

A note, if Perth get 2 teams, Canberra should also get 2 teams - possibly a strong link between a Canberra club and the Melbourne team could be fostered, or (God Forbid) reduce the NSW/QLD component by one (Drop Manly/Warringah since George Smith plays for them!)

A system like this would require strict control of inter club transfers, since WA pretty much pillaged the NSW clubs when they were running out of players. Any transfer of a player for this comp, needs to be a long-term transfer in order that it complete it's stated aim of enhancing club rugby. There's no good having a player contracted for a short term with Perth gold, making him unavailable for selection in his ACTUAL club. He would need to have a semi-pro Perth Gold contract, and be drafted into a WA club team for [say] the following season.

But it's a bloody good compromise Burgs!

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Manly/Warringah would actually be an amalgamated team as they are two separate Clubs still in Union....yah bloody mungo haha
    George plays for the Manly half.
    I was leaning towards Melbourne being Canberra's "second team", either that or some Southern Districts relationship.
    However, under this scenario many of the Brumbies players that played for the Vikings in the ARC would return to their Clubs of Origin so the actual Canberra based pool wouldn't possibly carry two teams and bleed off to Melbourne as well.
    We do have to give credit where it is due and seven of sixteen is still probably not truly representative of the player numbers coming out of NSW to the higher levels.
    I'm kinda liking the concept the more I think about it and, with the Force Squad split in two, I think WA Rugby would pretty quickly grow to support two separate Squads. There is a pretty strong in-grained parochialism entrenched in longer term WA people North and South of the River which could easily be fostered.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I knew about Manly and Warringah being separate mate, but understand why you thought what you did. I would think one of the keystones of such an arrangement would be to get the Brumbies to follow the Force model of aligning S14 players with local clubs. That would have the added incentive of improving the local club scene in Canberra. (I really don't buy the fact that George Smith plays for Manly, when I heard that I was pretty dark really) I'm sure that any suggestion like this would kill the idea where it stands because the NSW clubs would lose all their Brumbies players, but in a perfect world that would be the way to run it!

Last edited by travelling_gerry; 03-01-08 at 11:44.
    C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I think it would perhaps have to be an evolution type thing where the senior players such as George and Al Campbell would see out their careers with their existing Clubs but bright young stars such as the Faingaa twins (Eastern Suburbs, NSWRU) would be "encouraged" to switch allegiance back to a "home" team.
    Over time, with the current trend of scouting new S14 players to franchise Academies, most of the Brumbies players would have a Canberra link.

Here's a breakdown of the current Brumbies list.
    Pretty clear how reliant they currently are on Sydney Juniors and Seniors.

Player/Birth/Juniors/Seniors

Adam Ashley-Cooper Sydney, NSW Northern Suburbs, NSW Northern Suburbs, NSW
    Peter Betham Wellington, NZ Coogee Wombats (RL), NSW Sydney University, NSW
    Alister Campbell Newcastle, NSW Singleton Bulls, NSW Sydney University, NSW
    Mitch Chapman Sydney, NSW Beecroft Cheerybrook, NSW University, QLD
    Mark Chisholm Gladstone, QLD Nudgee, QLD Tuggeranong, ACT
    Huia Edmonds Ashburton, NZ Tuggeranong, ACT prev. Southern Districts
    Anthony Faingaa Queanbeyan, NSW Queanbeyan Kangaroos (RL), NSW Eastern Suburbs, NSW
    Saia Faingaa Queanbeyan, NSW Queanbeyan Kangaroos (RL), NSW Eastern Suburbs, NSW
    Francis Fainifo Auckland, NZ Campbelltown City Kangaroos (RL), NSW Tuggeranong, ACT
    Gene Fairbanks Goondiwindi, QLD Goondiwindi Boars (RL), QLD Easts, QLD
    Mark Gerrard Sydney, NSW Narrabeen/Manly (RL), NSW Warringah, NSW
    Nic Henderson Millmerran, NSW Turvey Park (RL), NSW Southern Districts, NSW
    Stephen Hoiles Sydney, NSW Coogee Juniors, NSW Randwick, NSW
    Josh Holmes Sydney, NSW Newport Breakers, NSW Eastwood, NSW
    Julian Huxley Sydney, NSW Lindfield, NSW Sydney University, NSW
    Christian Lealiifano Auckland, NZ Northcote Panthers, VIC Tuggeranong, ACT
    Matt Toomua Melbourne, VIC Logan City, QLD ???
    Peter Kimlin Canberra, ACT Canberra Grammar School, ACT Western Districts, ACT
    Salesi Ma’afu Sydney, NSW West Harbour, NSW Warringah, NSW
    Stirling Mortlock Sydney, NSW Lindfield, NSW Gordon, NSW
    Patrick Phibbs Sydney, NSW Randwick, NSW Randwick, NSW
    Peter Playford Sydney, NSW St Joseph's College, NSW Sydney University, NSW
    Clyde Rathbone Durban, SA Warner Beach, South Africa ???
    Julian Salvi Canberra, ACT Marist College, ACT Tuggeranong, ACT
    Guy Shepherdson Jakarta, Indonesia Easts, ACT Southern Districts, NSW
    George Smith Manly, NSW Warringah Roos, NSW Manly, NSW
    Tyrone Smith Manly, NSW Warringah Roos, NSW Rugby League
    Richard Stanford Dubbo, NSW Wellington Redbacks, NSW Eastern Suburbs, NSW
    Jone Tawake Suva, Fiji Kinross Wolaroi, NSW Sydney University, NSW
    John Ulugia Auckland, NZ Moorabbin Rams, VIC Tuggeranong, ACT
    Adam Wallace-Harrison Perth, WA Associates, WA Eastern Suburbs, NSW

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast