Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Go-ahead for new Perth stadium

Legend Contributor
    vCash

Go-ahead for new Perth stadium

AFL chief Andrew Demetriou has helped break a deadlock between the WA Football Commission and the State Government on the development of a new 60,000-seat multi-purpose stadium in Perth.

The Government has indicated it wants to build a new $850 million stadium at either Kitchener Park in Subiaco or East Perth, but the WAFC has said it preferred the refurbishment of Subiaco Oval.

A deal was finally brokered after a day-long meeting today that included Mr Demetriou, Sports Minister John Kobelke and WA Football Commissioner Neale Fong, ending months of stalemate.

The Football Commission agreed in principle to relinquish its lease on Subiaco Oval, clearing the way for the development of the new stadium.

Mr Demetriou and Mr Kobelke said it had been agreed the best solution was to build a new multi-purpose stadium, giving the AFL priority use.

“We all support the building of a 60,000-seat stadium in this State and we all support the fact that football won’t be worse off,” Mr Demetriou told reporters.

To alleviate the WA Football Commission’s concern that it would lose revenue if it had to relocate to a new stadium, the Government has agreed to recompense it for any losses under the deal. (And I'm sure they will use government money for that, rather than spread the load across the other users of the facilities)

“We’ve been able to assure football in Western Australia, both the clubs and the Football Commission and grassroots football, that it will not be worse off through the construction of a major stadium,” Mr Kobelke said.

The State Government will decide on the location of the new stadium.

AAP

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor
    vCash

Stadium deal done as footy sees light

West Australian 19th December 2007

WA will almost certainly get an $850 million world-class stadium at Kitchener Park after the AFL yesterday struck an historic agreement with the State Government that will see football leave Subiaco Oval.

The breakthrough was struck after the WA Football Commission, which has claimed it would lose money by being part of a 60,000-seat multipurpose stadium it did not control, accepted a Government guarantee which would ensure it was not worse off.

In a six-hour meeting, a team of football negotiators led by AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou and Government negotiators led by Sport and Recreation chief Ron Alexander ground out a deal in which:

• The WA Football Commission gave in-principle approval to hand back the lease on Subiaco Oval.

• The State Government would underwrite football’s income at the new stadium in exchange for the return of the lease.

• The new stadium would be governed by an independent trust appointed by the State to ensure the interests of all sports were maintained, but football would be the priority tenant and have priority access rights. (So everyone is equal, just some are more equal)
    • The AFL’s chief of Broadcasting and Commercial Operations, Gillon McLachlan, and the Department of Sport and Recreation’s Alastair Bryant would lead a working group to finalise the agreement before March. Provided the timetable was met, the new stadium could receive its first funding allocation in the next State Budget.

The re-claiming of the lease at Subiaco Oval points to Kitchener Park being the heavily favoured site. The AFL controls fixturing and had only to agree to play games at the new stadium if it was at the other proposed site, East Perth, to force the WAFC’s hand. But the Government had to win back control of the Subiaco Oval lease to build the stadium at Kitchener Park, where the proposed site overlaps the existing stadium.

WAFC chief executive Wayne Bradshaw confirmed football would hand back the lease in exchange for the guarantee of income. “While we have got certainty going forward, we are happy to provide the Government with that,” he said. (Some major climbdown by the Government that - from "we're going to resume it" to "here, have a bunch of money")

Sports Minister John Kobelke said he expected the remaining details of the stadium negotiation would be resolved quickly. (No kidding...it is amazing how quick it'll happen when you fold on every issue)

Then it was up to the Government to commit to the project and a site.

He said funding in the next Budget was a possibility “if we can get all of those details tied up in the time line I have suggested”.

Mr Demetriou said that people would look back on yesterday as “a really important day in sport in WA”. (Well, for one sport in WA anyway)

“We have agreed to get together shortly,” he said, and there were “no real outstanding issues, it was just about organising detail now”.

vCash
    this looks great, i hope more information comes out in the next few days and a better explination of "multipurpose".

i dont care about the WAFC having more rights to it because rugby is alot smaller and has less money, it would be unfair if they didn`t have priority.

vCash
    Unfair apart from the fact that our bid for a Super 14 team was backed by a state government promise of an upgraded rectangular rugby stadium. We're not getting our needs met, instead we're paying extra rent to meet the needs of the WAFC.

C'mon the

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    What is so impossible about RugbyWA, WARL, WA Soccer, WA Gridiron, WA Softball and Baseball and any other small-field sport getting together, themselves and their National bodies, and pooling resources to upgrade Members Equity or similar into a 30000 seat modern facility without the Government?

This would either: A. provide a sufficient venue for all their needs for at least the next 20 years at a cost not more than $20-30 million, and/or B. make the Government's unholy alliance with the AFL devil wholly unviable financially and force them to come begging to us, soccer etc. with a more equitable and non descriminatory proposal.

Otherwise they can go ahead with their ridiculous white elephant, used to half capacity about 10-15 times a year by AFL and once a year (maybe) for a second rate test match (such as we have been getting lately) which will cost the ARU mega bucks and RugbyWA nothing.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    What is so impossible about RugbyWA, WARL, WA Soccer, WA Gridiron, WA Softball and Baseball and any other small-field sport getting together, themselves and their National bodies, and pooling resources to upgrade Members Equity or similar into a 30000 seat modern facility without the Government?

This would either: A. provide a sufficient venue for all their needs for at least the next 20 years at a cost not more than $20-30 million, and/or B. make the Government's unholy alliance with the AFL devil wholly unviable financially and force them to come begging to us, soccer etc. with a more equitable and non descriminatory proposal.

Otherwise they can go ahead with their ridiculous white elephant, used to half capacity about 10-15 times a year by AFL and once a year (maybe) for a second rate test match (such as we have been getting lately) which will cost the ARU mega bucks and RugbyWA nothing.
    I couldn't agree more Fulvio - as a matter of fact - I said something a little while back here. sorry to toot my own horn.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Exile, I honestly can't remember reading your previous post (I came back from Europe and the RWC just prior to you posting it and was flat out at work for a while), but my post above is almost a precise of yours!

Sorry to have stolen your work, even up to the white elephant bit!

But, you know the thing about this site is that you consciously or unconsciously pick up on the opinions of others, meld and fashion them into your own, and bit by bit, inperceptively, they become common understanding.

Cheers!

vCash
    Andy S, I'm warming to you and your views more and more. Maintain the rage.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    Exile, I honestly can't remember reading your previous post (I came back from Europe and the RWC just prior to you posting it and was flat out at work for a while), but my post above is almost a precise of yours!

Sorry to have stolen your work, even up to the white elephant bit!

But, you know the thing about this site is that you consciously or unconsciously pick up on the opinions of others, meld and fashion them into your own, and bit by bit, inperceptively, they become common understanding.

Cheers!
    Fulvio no offence taken in any way, and no need for an apology - I am quite happy that I was able to come up with an idea that is so similar to such a great Rugby mind as yours.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    The breakthrough was struck after the WA Football Commission, which has claimed it would lose money by being part of a 60,000-seat multipurpose stadium it did not control, accepted a Government guarantee which would ensure it was not worse off.
    the WAFC needs to shove their status quo up their arse! in 15 years afl WONT be the biggest sport in australia. espically when we begin to include more and more teams into the now 14's leauge. whats to stop us from having a super 18 or super 20 competition hey?
    LEAVE the AFL in their shitty subiacco oval. it can wait another 5 years for rennovations. or if the afl gets that desperate they can reach into their own pockets and pay for it.
    i can see w.a loosing the force if we dont get a dedicated rectangular stadium
    GIVE US OUR FREAKIN RECTANGULAR STADIUM LIKE WE WERE PROMISED DAMMIT!!!!

i made it through that rant without saying one of the 4 banned words... i feel proud of myself

vCash
    I also agree with you fulvio( you to exile), we should all look at forming a sporting alliance to upgrade ME stadium now for a wide variety of sports (thereby garuanteeing solid support and ground sponsorship from a wide variety of business), and see what happens...Corporate money could make this work...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

Legend Contributor
    vCash

These guys are such a JOKE!

Guarantee not offered on stadium: Kobelke
    Gabrielle Knowles and Robert Taylor

The State Government said yesterday it had not agreed to a "guarantee" the WA Football Commission would not be worse off if it relinquished control of Subiaco Oval to be part of the 60,000-seat multi-purpose stadium.

Sports Minister John Kobelke said the Government gave the commission an "assurance" it would not be worse off if it handed over control of Subiaco Oval.

He denied it was an income "guarantee" and declined to give details, saying it had not been finalised. (But it must be some sort of formal agreement, otherwise what would be being "finalised"?)

But an agreed financial baseline would be developed from data including past net flows and projections.

Neither he nor Alan Carpenter believed taxpayers would have to cover any losses.

The Premier said the football commission was not losing money and he did not expect it ever would. (Well done Alan, you've totally missed the point)

"What football wanted an assurance of is that they would not be financially worse off and we have given them assurance that they won't be worse off," he said. (So you are assuring them that all the money they receive now is their God given right, and they won't make any less)

"Football obviously has to perform but...it's not seriously entertained by anyone that the interests of AFL football will be diminished and in years to come we'll get smaller crowds. If we thought that we wouldn't be so keen to develop a new stadium." (So how are you going to ensure that football "has to perform"? And in any case, it is not AFL football that is worried about their interests because they are rolling in money. It is the WAFC you are making assurances to, and their revenue is from the rent of Subi - if they are not getting that, what is their revenue stream that you are saying will be no less than what they currently make?)

Mr Kobelke said the stadium's maintenance fund could cover any shortfall with 1.5 per cent of the capital value, up to $8 million, to be set aside from annual operational income for major maintenance or replacements.

He said there would be enough surplus to pay for any losses football incurred. (So in actual fact you ARE guaranteeing their revenue, allowing them to dip into the maintenance budget that every tenant contributes to - I suppose that is why you are both confident that the taxpayer won't have to pick up the tab for your promises)

But Mr Kobelke warned that the Government had not decided if it would build a new stadium.

He admitted this week's agreement brokered by the AFL was a big step forward. "But it's yet up to Government to make a decision to commit the money and the timing for the construction of the stadium," he said.

Mr Kobelke planned to ask the Federal Government to help pay for the proposal, estimated to cost $600 million for the building and $200 million for infrastructure and transport.

Mr Carpenter would not be drawn on whether the Government would foot the entire bill if Federal funding did not eventuate.

It is expected the independent trust that governs the stadium will be similar to the WA Sports Trust that manages State-owned facilities such as Challenge Stadium and Arena Joondalup. The Government will decide who sits on the board but the Major Stadia Taskforce recommended that all members should be independent of key venue tenants, so the football commission will not have a seat at the table. (Yeah, right, it will be people who are totally independent, like the Director General of the Department of Sport and Recreation, Ron Alexander)

West Australian 20/12/07

Legend Contributor
    vCash

And then the scope creep starts

Use MCG as the model, says Harvey

Fremantle coach Mark Harvey backs a playing field modelled on the MCG for Perth’s new $850 million stadium.

Harvey said yesterday he favoured an MCG-sized ground for the planned multi-purpose stadium so that players could get a feel for the game’s biggest arena.
    ....(further irrelevant boganball blah blah)

West Australian

For reference:
    Subiaco = 188m by 134m
    MCG = 174m by 149m

vCash
    Sick 'em Fido.

vCash
    Harvey has his bum up his arse!

what part of MULTI-PURPOSE doesnt he understand???????

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast