Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lote's hand up to fill Latham's boots

vCash

Lote's hand up to fill Latham's boots

Peter Kogoy | December 20, 2007

LOTE TUQIRI shapes as a bolter to fill Chris Latham's vacant Wallabies fullback jumper after contemplating a switch to the position for his Super 14 side, the Waratahs.

Latham yesterday announced he would quit Australian rugby after the Tri-Nations series next June, leaving a gaping hole in the backline.

A vacancy also exists at fullback at NSW with no readymade replacement, following the departure overseas of Peter Hewat.

Hewat was granted an early release from his Super 14 contract to sign a lucrative deal with English club London Irish after leading the Central Coast Rays to a premiership in the now defunct Australian Rugby Championship.

"I've had a chat with (Waratahs backline coach) Todd (Louden) about possibly playing down back," Tuqiri said yesterday. "He sees me working as a pendulum in the back three and the way I look at it, the role is not much different to playing on the wing.

"But, obviously, I've got to pick up on my kicking skills. I wouldn't say no to the idea, if asked.

"I really wouldn't mind having a crack, but we'll wait and see if I'm given a crack at the position in the trials after Christmas."

Tuqiri said he was dumbfounded by the ARU's decision not to offer Latham a deal that would keep him in Australia.

"Latham has been one of the great servants of Australian rugby," he said. "He's always shown passion, heart and drive when it came to him pulling on a green and gold jersey.

"The thing I liked about him was that, if I found myself a bit down out on the field, he'd be there at the back pumping you up, and when he wasn't he'd be there pumping himself up.

"He'll be missed, in that sense."

Tuqiri likened Latham to a fine wine and still rated him as a world-class player.

"I think he's got better with age and, personally, I'm quite disappointed to see him leave because he's worked harder as he's gotten older," he said. "Chris is still, far and away, one of the best number 15s in the world and he showed that at the World Cup.

"Who knows, him leaving could be the start of a trend to be followed by guys who are also coming off contract next year. It would be a big shame, as you don't want to see those types of guys leaving our game prematurely."

One man who has fended off the overtures of foreign money is former rugby league international Timana Tahu who quit the 13-man game this year to link with Tuqiri at the Waratahs.

Tuqiri welcomed Tahu to Sydney club side West Harbour at Concord Oval, where the pair are contracted to play from next season when available.

Elsewhere, Blues coach David Nucifora said he hasn't considered whether he'd be a part of new Wallabies coach Robbie Deans backroom staff.

Nucifora was one of five Australian candidates for the position, for which the appointment process was extended while Deans first sought the job as All Blacks coach.

With a New Zealander now in charge of the Wallabies, many believe an Australian is likely to be appointed in an assistant role but the Blues coach said he hadn't been approached.

"I suppose we do go back to the guessing game again but I haven't thought about it," Nucifora said yesterday.

"I don't know what Robbie's thinking or what the ARU are thinking.

"I haven't really moved down that path yet and it'd be wasted energy to do that until anything happens.

"If someone's interested, I'm sure they'll get in touch with me at some point but until that happens I'm just really concentrating on here."

Nucifora won a Super 12 title with the Brumbies in 2004 but was given notice during that season due to a "player power" revolt.

He joined the Blues in 2005, as a technical adviser before taking over as head coach and guiding them to the semi-finals last year.

Meanwhile, the Rugby Union Players Association yesterday called on the ARU to reconsider its axing of the ARC after just one season, warning the decision threatens to deepen the rifts already in the game.

The RUPA said the ARU made the decision to dump the eight-team competition, which made a $4.7million loss in its inaugural season, before a "rigorous assessment" of Australian rugby's player development programs.

"There is more than one way to skin a cat," RUPA chief executive Tony Dempsey said in a statement. "The players have already indicated they are prepared to consider reviewing player salaries for the ARC. We would envisage other key stakeholders might also be able to consider some rationalisation in order to save this very valuable competition.

"Terminating the ARC now would be hasty and not give Australia's stakeholders time to assess the rationalisation opportunities available. It is important we go through this step to avoid polarising even further the stakeholders of this game."

The RUPA statement said the ARU should grant the competition a stay of execution "pending the outcome of a rigorous assessment of Australian rugby's development programs by a working party comprised of its key stakeholders over the next three months".

Additional reporting: Agencies

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Trying to look at this objectively I'm not convinced full back is an appropriate position for Tuqiri. It doesn't really play to his strengths at all and I'm particularly concerned about his kicking skills. As a last line of defence he admittedly would probably be relatively effective if he learned where to position himself on the field. Plus we hit the age old argument of needing to train up the younger ones so we have long term plan and not just a short term fill in. Tuqiri isn't exactly getting younger and I can't see him lasting beyond 2011.

Frankly, I don't see him getting a look in particularly if we've got far better equipped players like Sheps, Drew, Huxley etc standing in the wings.

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    Fullback in many ways is the winger's nirvana. They look at the amount of potential ball and space that a full back can access and just drool without giving serious thought to the core functions of the position. Lote has too many aspects of his game to improve to be a fullback of Wallaby/international calibre, I can only see him being a secondary rather than preferred option.

vCash
    Lote, can he kick a ball???

vCash
    he has a good chip kick but as for long bombs and pin point strategic kicks... hmmm i cant remember him ever doing one, but thats probably cause hes never needed to do one and would be skinned alive by his coach if he did.

IMHO there are far better options for that position than Lote.
    Go SHep!!!

vCash
    I've gotta say, that Lote ISN'T the be-all-and-end-all for the number 14 jersey IMHO. I'd pick him there at the moment, but certainly have my eye on some young talent to replace him and turn him into a utility back/benchwarmer.

Lote has the size to play in the centres and is reasonably quick. he defends well and if you could get oer his TOWERING ego, he'd probably be a pretty handy player, but he suffers from Wendellism, he really does seem to believe he is the single best thing in World Rugby, and that causes him to do dumb things like run straight at people who eat that shit up 'because I'm Lote, I can do what no-one else can!'

Not a fullback in my book!

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Should this be in the "jokes" section of the Forum?

vCash
    It's a good idea. Lote is a really skillful player who can play any position. In the end though he would do the gentlemanly thing and decline the offer that has surely already been made to him in preference to Turner, as Turner is the preeminent fullback in Australian rugby right now.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    Can you move it to the jokes section Gerry?

Certainly made me laugh when I read it!

I made Happy sad...

vCash
    Do we have a 'Nightmares' section?

C'mon the

vCash
    i cant see him getting Latham`s spot but i would like to see him have a go at fullback, he has all the right skills.

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash

I'm sorry, but

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Lote couldn't tie his own bootlaces, let alone fill Latho's boots

Tah Players in order that I would have at Fullback before starting Lote at #15:

Lachlan Turner
    Kurtley Beale
    Sam Norton-Knight
    Ben Batger
    Daniel Halangahu
    Sam Harris
    Ben Jacobs
    Alfi Mafi
    Matt Carraro
    Tom Carter
    Luke Burgess

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Lote couldn't tie his own bootlaces, let alone fill Latho's boots

Tah Players in order that I would have at Fullback before starting Lote at #15:

Lachlan Turner
    Kurtley Beale
    Sam Norton-Knight
    Ben Batger
    Daniel Halangahu
    Sam Harris
    Ben Jacobs
    Alfi Mafi
    Matt Carraro
    Tom Carter
    Luke Burgess
    you could probably add Chook and Sage to that list

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Was tempted to put Dunney...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast