Ashton and Robinson honoured by the Queen

Posted abc.com.au Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:16pm AEDT

The 61-year-old Ashton has been confirmed in his post since the World Cup, despite being slammed by two of his squad. (File photo)

The 61-year-old Ashton has been confirmed in his post since the World Cup, despite being slammed by two of his squad. (File photo) (Getty Images: David Rogers)

England's surprise appearance in the Rugby World Cup final saw coach Brian Ashton and retired star back Jason Robinson awarded honours by Queen Elizabeth II in the New Year Honours List.

Ashton rebounded from severe criticism after a record 36-0 World Cup defeat by South Africa in a pool match to take them to the final where they only lost 15-6 to the same opponents.

The 61-year-old - who since the World Cup has been confirmed in his post despite being slammed by two of his squad, veterans Lawrence Dallaglio and Mike Catt - has been awarded a Member of the British Empire (MBE) medal.

"I'm honoured and privileged to receive an MBE," the former Ireland and Bath coach said.

"This award is not just for me but for all who have been involved and helped me throughout my rugby career."

Robinson, who retired from all rugby after the World Cup, though he turned out for the Barbarians against the South Africans in December, won the World Cup with England in 2003 - scoring their only try - and was their most impressive performer in the last edition.

Ashton paid tribute to the back known as "Billy Whizz" - awarded the Order of the British Empire (OBE) to go with the MBE he and the rest of the 2003 squad received for their nerve-wracking win over Australia in the final - who scored 28 tries in 51 tests for England after switching codes following a superb career in rugby league with Wigan.

"Jason Robinson thoroughly deserves his OBE," Ashton said.

"He has contributed so much to both [rugby] union and [rugby] league and I'm delighted for him."

- AFP