Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: No Giteau, no force, no hope

vCash

No Giteau, no force, no hope

No Giteau, no force, no hope
    Mark Ella | April 20, 2008

THE majority of the Western Force's senior players should be ashamed of themselves

That was the salient point in a crazy weekend for Australian rugby with the Force stumbling once again after a shocking loss to the Reds, the Waratahs securing their position in the top four while the Brumbies showed a lot of guts in their win against the Sharks.

The Reds have shown they still have something left after scoring three unanswered tries against a Force side that have lost their focus and structure without their little general Matt Giteau.

During the lead-up to Friday's night game in Brisbane the Force stated that they were not a one-man team and that were out to debunk the myth that they couldn't win without the injured Giteau.

Well after a fairly ordinary display we all now know that the Force are an ordinary team without Giteau.

I have never seen them so disorganised and disrespectful of the football and they should have lost by a greater margin than 29-12.

I have never seen many wayward passes, dropped ball and clumsy play which is in stark contract to what we have seen from the Force for much of the season. There was no structure to their game and they lacked any sense of maturity and composure which made them look like a second rate outfit.

I stupidly made a comment last week that most of our Wallabies will come from the Waratahs and Force but after Friday night I wouldn't bother picking too many Force players based on the meek surrender to the Reds.

The Force are now sitting in ninth position on the Super 14 ladder, one spot higher than the Reds on tenth and it is hard to imagine them improving much more this year.

Just like last year they were probably Australia's best Super 14 franchise for much of the season but they will once again fade into the west if they can't get their act together very quickly.

The Reds played much smarter rugby on Friday night and thoroughly deserved their victory. They had greater ball security and for once they didn't panic and allow the Force to make all the errors for a change.

They still have some mongrel left in them and they will prove to be handful to their opposition at the backend of the season including the Waratahs who can't afford to be as lethargic as they were last night against the Lions, who have won only one game all season.

The Waratahs had the perfect opportunity to get some valuable match practice against the lowly-placed Lions, particularly as they play the the Sharks next weekend.

A nil-all scoreline at half-time was a disgrace and while the Lions played with a great deal of commitment to keep the Waratahs scoreless it was another inept performance and I have no doubt that coach Ewen McKenzie would have given them a boot up the backside.

The Waratahs are a team that can't afford to go through the motions because their game quickly falls apart and this allowed the Lions to stay in the game for much longer than they deserved.

Sloppy execution, pushing passes, running across field, trying to score from every phase wasn't a great mixture especially when the rain and wind played their part.

The second half was better although I wouldn't be satisfied with the final score of 26-3 even with their bonus point from scoring four tries.

Waratahs halfback Luke Burgess is a bright spark and if he continues to improve his game like he is at the moment he may find himself in a Test jersey later this year.

The Brumbies are another team who refuse to lie down and their inspiring victory against the second placed Sharks 27-21 was fantastic.

The Sharks are a team that started the season like a house on fire but their charge home could be full of potholes and the Waratahs may again halt their momentum next week in Sydney.

The Brumbies have a difficult couple of matches ahead of them after next weekend. Although they look gone sitting in eighth position it's not the realms of possibility for them top make the finals.

There are only fours rounds remaining and as usual the congestion at the top of the ladder is building and it definitely is a time to test the nerves of players and coaches alike.

Playing sub-standard rugby like the Force did on the weekend won't help and without Giteau they are on a backward spiral.

The Waratahs will make the final four but they must still learn to play for eighty minutes rather than in patches whilst the Brumbies are at long odds and they will need all the like they can muster but their chances will improve when their captain Sterling Mortlock recovers from injury.

This is just over a week old but worth a read

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Mark Ella do you have any faith? A team goes down to another team, and you immediately say that all hope is lost!

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    Rather harsh in some areas. He doesn't expect much more than absolute perfection. Just throwing it out there, but do the Force ever play exceedingly well without Gits?

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    haha shutup ella, if you didnt hate the force you might have noticed that they lost the game mainly in the forwards and the backs did alright without gits.

vCash
    What is with the former Wallaby greats being yappy as hell, how are you supposed to go into Wallaby folklore with dignity when you don't give yourself the opportunity...concentrate on coaching or whatever and keep your opinions to yourself, leave the opinion pieces to Grumbles, at least we already have no respect for his views...

vCash
    Probably something about being paid to write articles I'd guess. He wouldn't be much of a commentator if he kept his opinion to himself.

It's easier to avoid a hard truth than to face it, I might add. People generally need to keep that in mind.

I'd be equally suspicious if all there was to read was how great every single team was and how perfect every single player was and how awesome the whole Union organisation is.

Other than for the Tahs, this is obviously not true.

And, well, it is only game after all.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    There has been a complete lack of comment about the Brumbies this season - can anyone think of any real media comment, other than Mortlock's injury and change of coach? Has there been any real criticism or credit for their players and general game play? The tall poppy syndrome has certainly befallen the Force, which makes sense considering we have been our own worst enemy over the last 6 weeks. But as a Wallabies fan as well, can't really say that much has been given as to the performances of the two other Non NSW franchises?

vCash
    I dont know, I just read a bit about the Brumbies in 2 articles on this site in the last 3o minutes

Gigsa made me do it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chook View Post
    I dont know, I just read a bit about the Brumbies in 2 articles on this site in the last 3o minutes
    Yeap - was a little premature on that call!

vCash
    I guess most of the news articles posted here are going to be Force related. With a dash of Tahs, and anything from Pie is usually about the Force or the Tahs or the savoury snacks on offer at various stadia around Australia.

Gigsa made me do it

vCash
    Rather harsh in some areas. He doesn't expect much more than absolute perfection. Just throwing it out there, but do the Force ever play exceedingly well without Gits?
    Yes. With a VERY inexperienced injury riddled backline in 2006. Never disgraced and deserved a better result. Much better with Gits in 2007. Not yet 3 seasons old and will hopefully equal last year's finish. I have faith.

vCash
    Other than for the Tahs, this is obviously not true.
    To which their chock-full trophy cabinet attests.

vCash
    Probably something about being paid to write articles I'd guess. He wouldn't be much of a commentator if he kept his opinion to himself.
    I can't beat that logic, kudos!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Whether there is something to it or not, the game against the Reds certainly gave the remaining opposition teams a theory to work on - I'd say there will be a very big target painted on Giteau for the rest of the season (at least).

vCash
    I thought he has had that target on him all year

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast