Thread: Fong's top football post to continue ‘as normal’

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Fong's top football post to continue ‘as normal’

28th January 2008, 7:15 WST

Disgraced former Health Department boss Neale Fong appears set to retain his role at the helm of the WA Football Commission as it continues delicate negotiations with the State Government over a new outdoor stadium, despite a Corruption and Crime Commission report that found he knowingly misled a senior Labor minister.
    The corruption watchdog report, tabled in Parliament on Friday, found that Dr Fong sought Brian Burke’s opinion on the controversial stadium negotiations during a telephone conversation on June 6, 2006. It alleges he made misrepresentations to Health Minister Jim McGinty over his relationship with Mr Burke.
    According to a transcript of the intercepted call, Mr Burke described Sports Minister John Kobelke as the “worst minister in the world” for failing to make decisions after Dr Fong raised concerns that the Government was not progressing on the 60,000-seat venue.
    Mr Burke advised Dr Fong, who is also the West Coast Eagles chaplain, that the football commission should consider running a campaign to improve its public image and increase awareness of the AFL’s role in developing the sport.

West Coast Eagles spokesman Gary Stocks and WAFC chief executive Wayne Bradshaw confirmed yesterday that neither organisation intended to seek Dr Fong’s resignation from his voluntary roles.

“There’s been no move or discussion to make any move or changes to the current arrangements,” Mr Bradshaw said. “The findings by the CCC are not related to football and we will be continuing on as normal.”

Mr Kobelke said Dr Fong’s role as chairman was a matter for the commission.

“At the time that this relates to, there was a reluctance by the WAFC to engage with the Government in a positive way,” Mr Kobelke said. “We have now moved on and I believe we can go forward in partnership with the WAFC and the AFL.”

Opposition Leader Troy Buswell said the football commission had to seriously consider Dr Fong’s position.

“At the end of the day it’s their responsibility as to what they do with Neale Fong and his current position,” Mr Buswell said. “Clearly there has been a breakdown in trust and confidence between the Government and Neale Fong.”

AMANDA BANKS

Fong's top football post to continue ‘as normal’ : thewest.com.au

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    hes got to go,no one in the Govt will talk to him now anyway

vCash
    He'll go when Burke tells him to!!!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Wonder if Bradshaw is starting to sweat?

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

vCash
    He as a great manager in Burke

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I posted this as I was wondering what sort of shady back door deals have been done with Fong/Kilbelke/WAFC/Burke to screw the and prevent us from getting a proper rectangular stadium.

For the transcripts of the phone taps Fong was moaning that AFL was the "only" sport that puts money into infrastructure and hence should get the stadium rights.

vCash
    AFL is also the only sport that gets money for infrastructure, and they get a lot more than they give!

C'mon the

vCash
    I worry about that deal that has been done between the WA State Government/WAFC and the AFL. I may have mentioned this before in another post, but in the West Australian the other week it said that the AFL wanted to run the stadium and wanted an exclusive 6 month lease to demonstrate that they could do so. At the end of the day it wouldnt surprise me if we got screwed not only on the matter of getting a rectangular stadium of our own, but when it comes to this new multi-purpose stdium that we will see one day............................................... .one day.........................

Go-ahead for new Perth stadium - Page 2 - Western Force Rugby Supporters Site

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    Fong and the WAFC have been following Burkes philosphy for a long time, screw everyone in the fineprint - then change your mind just before signing to get extra cash/favours/benefits for your minority/special interest group.

Nothing has changed and as I've said elsewhere on this forum - The WAFC will continue to procrastinate untill the last minute and will still end up demanding to manage the new stadium and have peppercorn rentals.
    Their push for Subiaco is part of that, at the end of construction (just before they have to demolish the existing stadium) they will put an injuction in saying that as the new stadium requires demolition of the site they hold the lease on it in effect acts as an extension to their existing premises and as such their current lease arrangements should continue. Burke and his grubby paws prints are all over this.
    If Fong thinks Burke 'helps' anyone out of kindness he's dreamin'. If you sup with the devil you need a long spoon.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    It's pretty hard to be the Chair of WAFC if ya locked up though.

There will be plenty of scared workers at the WAFC for a few weeks just waiting to see if anything else comes out....

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    It's pretty hard to be the Chair of WAFC if ya locked up though.

There will be plenty of scared workers at the WAFC for a few weeks just waiting to see if anything else comes out....
    Lets ring SMH and hint that Firepower is behind it, not true but at least they'll throw any allegation possible at the WAFC

vCash
    So you're Unnamed Sauces!

I couldn't figure that one out you know!

C'mon the