Thread: Tait out indefinitely

vCash

Tait out indefinitely

Didnt see this comming.

Cricket Australia- News Display - Cricket Australia

Express paceman Shaun Tait will sit out of cricket indefinitely due to physical and emotional exhaustion, Cricket Australia revealed on Tuesday.

In a statement released by Cricket Australia, Tait said an absence from the game would 'hopefully give me a clear mind and a chance for my body to rest and recover'.

No time frame on a return to cricket has been placed on Tait, who will sit out Friday night's KFC Twenty20 clash against India in Melbourne and the upcoming Commonwealth Bank Series. He will also be unavailable from interstate duties for South Australia.

"This is a very difficult situation for me to be in at this time, this is not an overnight decision but something that I've been struggling with for sometime," Tait said.

"A break from professional cricket will hopefully give me a clear mind and a chance for my body to rest and recover."

"My love and enjoyment of the game is struggling due to these issues and if I continue to go on it will be unfair on my team-mates and support staff of both the Australian and South Australian cricket teams - and most importantly my family and close friends."

"The continued success of the Australian cricket team is important to me and I wish my team mates every success in the coming Twenty20 game and the Commonwealth Bank Series."

Tait had shoulder surgery following the 2005 Ashes series and also went under the knife to repair an elbow injury last year.

That, according to South Australian Cricket Association medical officer Terry Farquharson, led to Tait also suffering 'ongoing pain as well as suffering intermittent low back and hamstring injuries'.

"The combination of his injury history and the demands of being an elite professional cricketer has affected his physical, and significantly, his emotional well being," Farquharson said.

"Shaun feels he needs a rest from cricket and I support this, which will allow him to recover both physically and emotionally."

Cricket Australia's chief medical officer Dr Trefor James agreed, saying a break from all forms of cricket would do Tait good.

"We'll be working with Shaun going forward to ensure that whatever assistance he requires is provided to him. Shaun's personal welfare is our primary concern as well as his return to cricket at an appropriate point," he said.

The SACA said it would support Tait.

"Shaun is a much respected and admired member of the Redbacks squad," said chief executive Mike Deare.

"Professional sport can place huge demands on young sportspeople. We respect Shaun's decision and will assist him and his family in every way possible to allow him to recover both physically and emotionally."

"We reiterate his request for his privacy to be respected so that Shaun can return to cricket at an appropriate time."

Tait, who bowled with distinction earlier this summer in the Chappell-Hadlee Series against New Zealand, was left out of the XI for the fourth Test in Adelaide after going wicketless in the side's loss to India in Perth.

He played as recently as Sunday in Traralgon when he rocked Victoria's middle order, grabbing three wickets in South Australia's defeat to the Bushrangers in a Ford Ranger Cup match.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Tait could return to the game, but he won't be the same bowler. The elbow complaint will force him to slow down and rely on accuracy, rather than sheer pace and concentrate on swinging the ball.

vCash
    i dont think he would have been called up again soon even if he was still playing. not for a test espically.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    That may not be a bad thing though Ox, he wasn't setting the world on fire with pace, perhaps generating that pace into a mean swinger is his way to redemption?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Maybe having to run back to the start of his run-up like a schoolboy has tired him out!!! HTFU!!!!

Is his elbow complaint from too much chucking? That must put more stress on the joint!!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
    Is his elbow complaint from too much chucking? That must put more stress on the joint!!
    Hear hear! He's more of a chucker than Murali - imho.

I can't believe his action; he's well over 6' (that's 183cm to you younger folk) and he's bent over at the delivery stride to release the ball (with bent arm) from just over 6' (that's 183cm to you younger folk). Stand up son. And straighten that arm.

Don't come back 'til you do.

Oh, but good luck for the future, hope it works out for you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    i dont think he would have been called up again soon even if he was still playing. not for a test espically.
    He went into the 3rd Test extremely under done, everyone talks about match practise and match fitness etc well cricket is no different. I think since the 20/20 interantional at the WACA in December he played one 4 day game (immediately after the 20/20) and one 20/20 game. Apart from that he carried the drinks for Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    Hear hear! He's more of a chucker than Murali - imho.

I can't believe his action; he's well over 6' (that's 183cm to you younger folk) and he's bent over at the delivery stride to release the ball (with bent arm) from just over 6' (that's 183cm to you younger folk). Stand up son. And straighten that arm.

Don't come back 'til you do.

Oh, but good luck for the future, hope it works out for you.
    Murali was the ORIGINAL chucker, the ICC changed the rules so that that little mother chucker could contiue to play, TWICE in a decade.