Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Henjak in O'Neill's sights

vCash

Henjak in O'Neill's sights

Henjak in O'Neill's sights
    Wayne Smith | February 13, 2008

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...0-2722,00.html

AUSTRALIAN Rugby Union boss John O'Neill has put the Western Force on notice to deal swiftly and mercilessly with the Matt Henjak-Haig Sare incident, or the national body will take the matter out of the club's hands.

Western Force has been told by the ARU to deal swiftly with Matt Henjak. Picture: Kerris Berrington
    O'Neill was dismayed that the Force did not contact him yesterday after he requested the club to inform him on its investigation into the alleged altercation between Henjak and Sare in Fremantle on Sunday afternoon. Sare was left with a broken jaw.

Perth officials instead announced that Henjak would take his place in the squad that left yesterday for three Super 14 matches in South Africa.

In a statement released last night, O'Neill said Henjak was touring South Africa - the country he was sent home from in disgrace after being involved in another alcohol-related incident there during the Wallabies' 2005 Tri-Nations campaign - against the advice and wishes of the ARU.

"While natural justice demands any player is innocent until proven guilty, we believe there is justification to stand down any player who has a disciplinary hearing pending," O'Neill said.

"Following discussions with Force management this afternoon, the ARU has resolved to write to the Force requesting the disciplinary process be expedited. We expect a firm undertaking that this matter will be dealt with as soon as possible, even before the team's opening match in South Africa if possible."

While O'Neill might be demanding all possible speed, the Force appears to be hastening slowly, and not surprisingly considering its prime motivating factor in taking Henjak to South Africa was to use him in the season-opening match against the Sharks in Durban on Saturday morning (AEDT).

There was no mention of Henjak's importance to the Force in a purely rugby sense in the club's response to the ARU's statement late yesterday.

Although it insisted its investigation was progressing as quickly as possible before the matter is turned over to the Serious Misconduct Tribunal, the Force also warned "it will be some days" before Sare will be available for interview.

Certainly any deliberate foot-dragging to ensure Henjak gets in at least one match before answering the charges against him will be viewed dimly by the ARU. The head body has already set a precedent in lowering the boom on a serial offender whom it considered was dealt with too leniently by his provincial union.

In March 2006, the ARU took matters into its own hands after Wendell Sailor was suspended by the Waratahs for one game, fined $500 and sent home in disgrace from South Africa after pushing a patron outside a bar and vomiting in a side alley.

Deeming the NSWRU's penalty inadequate, then-ARU chief executive Gary Flowers convened a code of conduct tribunal that increased Sailor's initial punishment by a further two-match suspension.

O'Neill conceded the ARU did not have the power to stand down Henjak immediately, or to prevent him from playing against the Sharks if the Force selected him - which Perth coach John Mitchell yesterday indicated was precisely what he intended to do.

But, without referring directly to the Sailor case, O'Neill put the Force on notice that the ARU could, and would, intervene if the issue was not resolved quickly.

"Under the code of conduct, the ARU has the authority to intervene if it believes an incident of a sufficiently serious nature has occurred and a province does not take appropriate action to resolve the situation," O'Neill said.

Mitchell raised eyebrows on two coasts yesterday when he claimed Henjak "deserves his selection" and would start against the Sharks.

"The team has put an enormous amount of work in the pre-season into this first fixture," Mitchell said. "It would be totally unfair on everyone in the organisation and the team if we weren't to select the best players to go on the field." My eyebrows were raised as well..not a good choice of words. I sense abit of frustration there..he must have been looking forward to the perfect lineup with a Yaks-Gits combi.

Australia sevens star Nick Cummins is likely to take Sare's place on the right wing.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KenyaQuin View Post
    "While natural justice demands any player is innocent until proven guilty, we believe there is justification to stand down any player who has a disciplinary hearing pending," O'Neill said.
    That is completely contradictory! How can you justify punishing a player by standing them down if you believe natural justice should prevail!? God I hate the law...it isn't even applicable here anyway....stupid O'Neill.

I think you're right KQ. I'm pretty sure Mitchell is focussed on winning right now and is less than impressed about being told how to do his job. Did you see channel 10's interview with him last night? He pretty much told them to get stuffed and he wasn't going to be answering any question not related to actual rugby. Loved it.

The next question I have is why aren't there demands to stand Haig down? Yes i'm aware he's not playing because he physically can't but shouldn't he be stood down anyway on principal given he was involved in the fight too?

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    So, anyone care to compare and contrast...

Matt Henjak
    "While natural justice demands any player is innocent until proven guilty, we believe there is justification to stand down any player who has a disciplinary hearing pending," ARU chief executive John ONeill said.

Jone Tawake
    Brumbies backrower Jone Tawake has been charged with drink-driving...Tawake blew 0.06 in a random breath test in Sydney on Sunday [29/7/07]...Brumbies officials said Tawake would face internal disciplinary action after he appeared in court.

Champion
    vCash
    What I wrote to John O'Neil & Mitch Hardy (via email) this morning !!

John,

I read the ARU’s statement on FOX SPORTS | Sports news Australia | Australian sports news website this morning, about the unhappiness of the Western Force allowing Matt Henjak to travel with the team to South Africa, I am a member of the WF since before day one and always try to see the players moves, stretching, training, games and at time some social activities (i’m not a player or an employee of the Force, but a major supporter)

I know you will hear more news about this incident than I can get or will ever find out, (apart from what i heard, or seen on the day at the pub in fremantle, western australia where i work)

Just putting my point across to ARU, since day one the ARU (i know you have only just returned to the helm, and you have completed a rise of rugby since being in the ‘hot seat’) have made more enemies with the western force than any other australian super 14 team, (with the fine of poaching players from the tahs, to off field incidents being blown out to all proportions, to breaking ARU policies about salary caps and off field payments) Why don’t you allow the Western Force to sort the Henjak – Sare case in there own time and means so we can represent Australian Rugby the way we know best and try and reserect the Super 14 cup to Australian shores instead of it being displayed in Canterbury’s cabinet or another South Africa team. Not since 2001 have we seen any silver ware in our trophy cabinet for super 14 team rugby (with the brumbies) and I want it back as much as you do, or do you ?

Can i say from past mister meaners, if there is a ‘barney, fight, altercasion’ there is two to tangle, Have you or anyone at the ARU heard Haig Sare’s case ? why has he got a broken jaw, did he say something, do something to Matt Henjak ? (i’m guessing not as after 48 hours you would still struggle to clearly say a word with a ‘suspected’ broken jaw) I know what Matt Henjak has done is wrong, and the players and officals over in South Africa are sitting down early next week to sort out a suitable conclusion, please let them do this so we, the Western Force can come back with 2, possibly 3 wins in the toughest draw of a start of there short life within the Super 14 competition.

John Mitchell (the best ‘Australian’ coach) has said in his statement, that he wishes to pick the best team to represent the black swan of the western australian’s super 14 team, and at the moment Matt Henjak is the best number 9 / scrum half we have. If the ARU allowed Western Force to sign other Australian scrum half’s (with the tahs, brumbies or reds, moaning to your head quarters about the force ‘stealing’ players) we might of not been in the suitation we are in at the moment with Henjak being on the outer with the ARU. On the Western Force’s roster the only other scrum half’s we have to select from is James Standard (no super 14 game time under his belt) and Adam ‘Kiwi’ Clarke (still injured) we are low on numbers at the time being.

(I know it sounds like a dig, but its far from it) Matt Henjak has done wrong (as i’ve pointed out previously) and is getting more than a wrap across the knuckles from the ARU, West Australian media and fans alike , another two players which comes to mind Matt Dunning and Lote Tuquiri have had about the same amount of incidents (if not more) of off field issues and they seem to be playing with the tahs and have a current Wallabies contract and everything has been brushed under the brush pile carpet of ARU headquarters. Isn’t the saying ….. if its good for one its good for another !!! , Please take this into consideration when you are going to wrap Matt or any other Western Force personality with this or any other on field or off field incident.

Remember both me and you and another million plus supporters are in the same category, wanting an Australian team to be competitive in the 2008 tooheys new Super 14 competition and leave the dismal results of 2007 behind us.

From One unhappy (at the moment) matt henjak supporter to the ARU Cheif Boss !!

Thanks

Ben

vCash
    I'd simply ask him to use Haig Sare's name in any press releases he makes on this meatter, otherwise he's just openly Matt bashing!

He wants Henjak dismissed whether or not he actually did anything!

C'mon the

Champion
    vCash
    henjak sounds like he is quiet the opposite to a "yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir" person, which is probably not seeing well with the ARU.

vCash
    Henjak is a halfback.......read that "gobby short little irritant who makes a career out of mouthing off to people three times his size and getting away with it."

Of course he's not one who likes to colour within the ARU lines! that's what makes him a good halfback!

C'mon the

vCash
    who is Mr Meaner?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by innocent quokka View Post
    who is Mr Meaner?

He's an ex-chief rugby correspondant.

vCash
    oh, that guy. I thought it was Barney.

vCash
    who is Mr Meaner?
    Matt Henjak.....that's why he's getting chased to South Africa by the highest paid administrator in Australian Rugby, He's so much meaner than everyone else, it's justified to stop him playing a game when there is no current evidence of misdemeanours!

C'mon the

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    I heard on 10 news that they are sending a reporter and camera man to follow him around South Africa also

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    who is Mr Meaner?
    He is the person who should have checked the letter for spelling and other errors before it was sent.

Good on you for doing it, though, Benny.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    The Channel 10 News dudes may want to give him some room or he might pop them too...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Champion
    vCash
    only passed grade one in schooling, but no i want to put my point across to all the tossers in the ARU..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast