Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: On the road with Burgs

vCash
    Have a great trip Burgs! Let me know the dates you'll be in the Virgin Islands, we can be talked into going there!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Virgin Islands? No Seppos there then?!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    No worries Lazz, will do.

To those of you at I didn't end up talking to last night sorry for not coming over and chatting. Was going to after the match but my lift turned up an hour early and decided he wanted to have a beer and catch up.
    In hindsight it probably came across as being pretty rude and/or ignorant, totally not intentional I assure you.
    Will be in the OBH Front Bar tonight if anyone is up for a beer or two.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Safe trip mate.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    extremely jealous Burgs!! have a fantastic time

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    The OBH Front Bar isn't that great FA. It has a nice view over the ocean on clear days.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    I meant the trip. not the OBH.. i've seen it. not fantastic

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    G'day to all!
    Been busy busy in Namibia and South Africa since my last message.
    Am very grateful to the Wallabies for making my stay here more bareable with consecutive wins!
    If you think kiwi's are bad you want to try homeland hairy backs
    Took great delight in wearing the G&G jersey several times during the last week for maximum effect
    Will be "safely" in Chicago before the next match so looks like I can leave the Republic with us leading the 3N anyway.
    Hope all are well but am not even going to try and catch up on the mountain of unread posts...
    Currently in Potchefstroom until Thursday before flying to the US.
    Go the Wallabies and well done Brownie and Crossie for their respective Force Awards!
    Tooroo for now,
    Burgs

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Just got a text from Burgs.

He is waiting at Heathrow for his flight to Chicago

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    Jeez almost sorry for him - stuck waiting in Perth for the damm rain to stop

Give him grief - where's the Beer Report ?

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    He said he'll do a travel update in a few days.

Don't hold your breath

Posted via space

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Well, you would have wanted to hold your breath if you were in Chicago with me
    My one social time break for the trip and I managed to venture all the way next door for some solids on day three. Thankfully I didn't risk shaming myself in public by venturing to Larry's suggested Irish Pub for the Test, certainly wasn't worth it, either way...
    Couldn't believe it, Cubs playing, Lollapolooza, Chicago in general and I'm stuck watching TV
    Insult to injury, there was storms and tornadoes around Chicago yesterday and last night so my flight was cancelled and finally got out of there, arse intact, today and am now in Fort Collins, about an hour north of Denver, Colorado.
    Another Nuffielder is also in town so it's time to go sample a local frothy or two.
    Stay well folks, speak soon,
    Burgs.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Have been through a phase of being a trainrider in recent weeks, firstly from Denver to Hastings in Nebraska and then back west from Hastings to Salt Lake City.
    Managed to get out of Mormonville and am now in the very isolated Elko, Nevada through until Wednesday.
    The trip through the Rockies by rail is amazing and I would absolutely recommend the experience to anyone who was in the region.
    Been having a good time in general but also starting to look forward to some home front action and food and not staying in hotel rooms, pretty monotonous by now I assure you!
    Hope all well for the usual suspects and look forward to any updates.
    Tooroo,
    Burgs

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I've always liked trains as the best way to see a country provided they have a reasonable comfort level. Wouldn't have thought the alternative, hip hop thingy would have been up your street anyway Burgs.

Enjoy the rest of your trip. Go you Wallabies!

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Wouldn't have thought the alternative, hip hop thingy would have been up your street anyway Burgs.
    More "back in the day" admittedly Shasta, but I did manage the BDO this year

So, have been waiting for something comment worthy to become my eleven thousandth utterance on this fine site.

Having to do a dash around the Gulf of Mexico by road to miss Hurricane Ike was close but didn't quite cut it. Visiting the beautiful US Virgin Islands nearly made the grade but no, the best was yet to come.

After an overnight flight from USVI via Miami I landed in Buenos Aires early yesterday morning to realise just how little Spanish I really knew and, to use the late great Slim Dusty's terminology, I was a very small frog in a very large puddle.

After finally working out how to get a taxi and showing the torn out hotel advert of my potential accommodation to me driver we were away.
    Unfortunately, this brute of a fine specimen with his lush moustache knew about as much English as I knew Espanola!

We established Rugby to be better than Football, Wallabies (kan...grooo?) and los Pumas as we sped through the traffic.
    A little laughter as we passed a school resplendent with six rugby pitches and I indicated by pointing to the posts, patting my heart and giving a thumbs up that it was good to see such a strong presence of rugby. I doubt he interpreted it that way but no matter.

Onward we sped in silence for several minutes and near fatalities and then from him, "You like a...s e a..d...si?".

Manuel's "Que?" went through my mind but I just gave my best "confused" look instead.

Moustache started playing with his very high tech for a very low tech car's stereo and on preset number 26 came a very familiar cacophony.

Over his shoulder shouting now as the stereo was on DEFCON5, "a..C...DEE...CEEE!"
    Here I was, around seven in the morning doing (truthfully) 120km in an 80km zone with Fangio at the wheel and "Highway to Hell" belting out like a cyclone!

Turns out they are mad for it here in Argentina, I watched some local "MTV" last night and the music is all AC/DC-esque.

I'm sure we made the trip in half the time and he must have taken a year off his gearbox, but he was happy and I have a memory to treasure.

As I got my bags out of the back, rustled through my backpack and found the last of the small Force squeeze Rugby ball thingos and gave him that instead of a tip.

You would have thought I had handed him the World Cup, the smile he gave me and the porter!

If only logistics worked better I would have had my jersey and camera ready for, if not a competition winner, certainly a memory for me to savour.

Rugby truly talks all languages and AC/DC turns us all into hyperactive speeding maniacs!

As with each milestone, thanks as always to Coach for continuing to provide this fantastic medium for us to vent, cheer and wax lyrical as the mood determines.

From here it is back to Sydney town on Thursday/Saturday (no Friday for me this week!) and then up into Queensland through to the following Thursday.
    A weekend in Sydney followed by a short week in Tasmania to give my presentation of this epic journey and then I am finally homeward bound, by then not a moment too soon I am sure!

Hope you are all doing well and looking forward to catching up with the usual suspect come the middle of October at the "Clubhouse".

From Mendoza,
    Ciao,
    Burgs.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4