Thread: O'Neill confident of Adelaide Sevens success/

vCash

O'Neill confident of Adelaide Sevens success/

O'Neill confident of Adelaide success
    (IRB.COM) Monday 18 February 2008

The Adelaide Sevens once again provides the sixth event on the IRB Sevens World Series this year and organisers are expectant that crowd numbers can improve vastly on the inaugural event last year.

Ticket sales targets for Australia's only International Rugby Sevens tournament have been set at an ambitious 50,000 for the two days, although the more realistic figure of 35,000 would still represent almost a 40% increase on last year at the Adelaide Oval.

To date 7,000 tickets have been pre-sold, but Australian Rugby Union Chief Executive John O'Neill is confident that the nature of the event will echo that of San Diego's USA Sevens and benefit from a strong 'walk up' on the two days themselves.

"If we can build to 15-20,000 pre-sale, we'll aspire to 50,000 tickets overall for the weekend of April 5 and 6," he said.

"Why shouldn’t we be aspirational?.. Realistically, we had 25,000 over the two days last year and 35,000 this year would be a great result, but I like to shoot for the stars!” O’Neill added.

One major trump card for the event is its venue, the Adelaide Oval, which is steeped in sporting tradition and known to sports fans the world over.

"Adelaide Oval is a beautiful venue. The crossover between rugby fans and cricket fans should not to be underestimated, this venue means a lot to a lot of people."

Premier Mike Rann, who joined Mr O'Neill at the event launch at Adelaide Oval, was also optimistic that sales would outdo the inaugural event's figures in 2007.

"Last year only 15 per cent of presold tickets went to interstate and overseas fans," Mr Rann said.

"This year 35 per cent has already gone to interstate."

O'Neill also revealed that the ARU was bidding for a game between the Wallabies and Italy to be held in Adelaide next year.

Tickets for the tournament, which will run at Adelaide Oval on 5-6 April, are available via the Australian Hotline (08) 8225 8888, or through Venue*Tix Adelaide tickets ~ ticketing Adelaide events.

Adelaide Sevens draw announced
    (IRB.COM) Wednesday 20 February 2008

The Adelaide Oval cricket scoreboard takes on a new life at the SevensThe pools and draw have been announced for the upcoming International Rugby Sevens Adelaide, the sixth event in the 2007/08 IRB Sevens World Series.

Runaway Series leaders New Zealand top the seeds in Adelaide and have been drawn in Pool A with Scotland, Argentina and the Cook Islands, who secured their berth in Adelaide through the Papua New Guinea Sevens qualifying event in November last year.

Pool B is headed by 2007 Adelaide finalists Samoa, who will play Pacific neighbours Tonga as well as Wales and Japan.

Host nation Australia is drawn with third seed South Africa in Pool C and face two more tough matches on day one against North American rivals Canada and USA.

“Any team is capable of winning on any given day, there are no weak teams anywhere in this draw,” said Australia Sevens coach Bill Millard. “Earlier this year the Cook Islands beat England and teams like Tonga and Kenya have been in great form this season. We’ll have to be at our best to get through."

Pool D is arguably the toughest of the four with defending champions Fiji drawn against England, France and the newly semi-professional Sevens outfit from Kenya. Pool of death - Kenya seeded ahead of England and France here..wonder how England feel about that after refusing to share changing rooms with them in San Diego and then going on to lose. So far this series its 2-0 to Kenya against England.

Having won all four opening Cup titles of the season - a feat never previously achieved - New Zealand hold a massive 32-point lead over closest rivals South Africa in the Series standings. However, with the Hong Kong tournament offering extra points to the winners the weekend before the Adelaide showpiece, the Series could well arrive in Australia with competitiveness restored.

“I think the first Adelaide tournament in 2007 left every player and fan wanting more and looking forward to this year's event," said IRB Sevens Manager Beth Coalter.

"Organising a 16-team rugby tournament at cricket's Adelaide Oval for the very first time, and on an Easter weekend, provided real challenges for the event, which it overcame fantasically well. The crowd was impressive for a first year and with the Oval providing such a well-known and charming backdrop to the action and excitement on the pitch, I think we can expect even more fans and fun this year," she added.

Tickets for the 2008 International Rugby Sevens Adelaide are currently on sale and with tickets starting from just $25.00 for adults and $60.00 for families, sports fans, event-lovers and families alike have the chance to join in the party.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player Contributor gustafsl's Avatar
    vCash
    Will be interesting to see how well it does this year. One of the big problems is I believe there is a Crows vs Power game on the Sunday, so that will probably but a big dent in the 'i only like rugby if the Wallabies are playing' crowd. I went last year to both days and it was a great time, but I think they need to have more entertainment on the first day. I am a pretty big rugby fan and the people I went with are as well, but I have to admit that we were a bit bored on the first day. Obviously the day 1 games aren't going to be as exciting because the teams aren't as evenly matched, so they need to find other ways of entertaining the crowd. I know the idea of 7's is that the games are quick and there is a new game every 22 minutes, but would it have killed them to allow NZ or Fiji to throw in a Haka before their games?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!