Thread: A consolation point for reds

vCash

A consolation point for reds

QR Reds claim consolation point from Hurricanes match

Late Roe try salvages bonus pointFriday, 22 February 2008
    A bonus point-earning late try to the QR Reds helped eased some of the pain of their 23-18 defeat by the home town Hurricanes in the second round of the 2008 Investec Super 14 tournament.

The sides scored two tries apiece in a game that thrilled the Wellington crowd of 17,500 with end to end action.

Unfortunately for the Reds it was the Hurricanes who went end to end for their two tries, both coming from turnovers when the Reds were on attack, with the talented and powerful Hurricanes proving unstoppable in the broken play.

The Reds' two tries came with determined running through the teeth of the forwards; the first by lock Van Humphries and the second close to fulltime by skipper John Roe.

The Reds had led 10-0 early but a Jimmy Gopperth clearance kick bounced the wrong way for Digby Ioane and the right way for Hosea Gear to set up a try for centre Tane Tu'ipulotu, despite a fine covering tackle on Gear by fullback Chris Latham, the Reds' best on the night.

The Reds went to the break leading 13-10 but were forced to spend large sections of the second half defending, with the pressure producing penalties and mistakes like the Hurricanes' second end-to-end try when a stripped ball was whisked 80m up the field in double quick time for a try to All Black win Ma'a Nonu, one of the 'Canes best on the night.

The QR Reds used their whole reserves bench on the night, including new cap Dayna Edwards, a Reds Academy prop who came on for Rodney Blake and played well until being replaced after 30 minutes with an ankle injury.

Of more serious concern is flanker Hugh McMeniman, who came off after 16 minutes with a worrying ankle injury, which will be x-rayed on the team's return to Brisbane.

Scrumhalf Sam Cordingley has a suspected groin muscle strain.

Hurricanes 23 (Tane Tu'ipulotu, Ma'a Nonu tries; Jimmy Gopperth 2 cons, 3 pens) def QR Reds 18 (Van Humphries, John Roe tries; Clinton Schifcofske con, 2 pens). Crowd 17,500

I hope the injury toll doesn't continue to mount again, devestating for a team desperate to rebuild and return to form...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    I don't like this 'QR' business... everytime I look at it I think they've just spelt QLD wrong.

I made Happy sad...

vCash
    Reds looked much the same as last week, Well drilled, they know who they are and do what they do. They were accused of shutting up shop early against the Highlanders but did the same this week against the 'Canes when they were behind.

Reds will do OK once they string 80 minutes of rugby together, unfortunately I don't think they've got either the depth or the conditioning to do that soon!

This round will be a rwasonable start to comparisons being bade with the Aussie teams, the Eastern Staters will have a bit of crossover in who they've played in these two rounds, leaving only the as the unknown quantity upon their return from the republic

So Far!

Reds Win against the Highlanders-no Bonus point loss to the 'Canes but close finish bonus point.
    'Tahs Win against the 'Canes nearly a bonus point, play the Chiefs tonight.
    Brumbies Hammered by the Crusaders (but I don't think they'll be alone in that) and playing the Highlanders tonight.

I'd be going with a short half nose to the 'Tahs at the moment, but the 'canes did play a lot better this week than last week Unfortunately the Reds couldn't put them away even though they got 10 more possessions from turnover ball than the 'Canes. I'll be watching both games tonight intently to see how the Tahs and the Brums cope with their assignments. Brumbies would have to do a hell of a lot to catch up to the other two though!

As for the well they're the only Aussie team that hasn't had an easy game yet, and they're still in the mix. 'Tahs have it a bit easy this week (even though they're away) as do the Brums....I'd put out in front, since they def look the most composed in the close spots. Next week will make things clearer!

C'mon the

vCash
    It is extremely arrogant to think that there are any easy games in Super 14.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Sam Cordingley has a suspected groin strain? Quick, sign up Henjak. That's what getting his contract with the Force cancelled was all about, wasn't it?

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    It is extremely arrogant to think that there are any easy games in Super 14.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    Sam Cordingley has a suspected groin strain? Quick, sign up Henjak. That's what getting his contract with the Force cancelled was all about, wasn't it?
    No way - we don't want him! Will Genia and Ben Lucas will fit the bill nicely for the next two weeks.