Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Huxley possibly not ok

vCash

Huxley possibly not ok

Huxley head knock reveals brain tumour

Posted 14 minutes ago
    Julian Huxley is taken from the field

Julian Huxley is taken from the field after being knocked out against the Reds. (AAP: Mark Graham)

* Map: Canberra 2600

The rugby future of Brumbies full-back Julian Huxley is in serious doubt after scans revealed he has a brain tumour.

Doctors only found the tumour after Huxley was rushed to hospital after being knocked out in his team's Super 14 win over Queensland on the weekend.

He has been referred to a neurosurgeon for further assessment.

It is believed the tumour is benign.

Huxley was knocked unconscious while tackling Reds lock James Horwill in the opening minutes of Saturday night's game at Canberra Stadium.

Medical staff needed four minutes to place a neck brace on him and take him from the ground.

Huxley was taken to hospital and the spent the night under observation before being released on Sunday morning.

Further tests then revealed the pre-existing tumour.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I hope it is benign! Thank goodness for being knocked out, otherwise they might have missed it.

vCash
    This is from foxsports...imagine if he never had that concussion, they probably wouldnt have found it for a good while...hope he has a successful surgery and recovery!!

Julian Huxley has brain tumour

By staff writers
    March 04, 2008

BRUMBIES player Julian Huxley has been diagnosed with a brain tumour, discovered during a scan after he was injured in the Super 14 game against the Reds last weekend.

The 28-year-old was injured while making a tackle on the weekend, then started convulsing on the field. He was taken from the field on a stretcher and cleared of any spinal injuries, but MRI tests that were carried out have confirmed that he has a brain tumour.

Fox Sports’s Phil Lynch was present as the Brumbies made an official announcement.

He does have a brain tumour but it has been decided it is benign. It is at the top of his brain and will need surgery. He’s been referred to a neurosurgeon for further investigation and management but the doctors have determined he needs surgery sooner rather than later, which means that Julian Huxley’s immediate football career is very much in doubt.

Julian Huxley addressed his teammates at a team meeting this morning and they were all in shock at the news. I asked about Julian’s frame of mind and they said he was very strong about the whole thing, he had taken the news in and processed it and was very strong in telling his teammates.

Some of his teammates were extremely upset and they have all rallied around him, and said they will support him all the way even though he won’t be on the field. It has absolutely rocked the club and, of course, Huxley’s family.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MI5_Dog View Post
    I hope it is benign! Thank goodness for being knocked out, otherwise they might have missed it.
    Ditto.

The same happened to a young Adam Ritson in 1996. He had the (RL) world at his feet at the time but never played again. Let's pray Hux is more fortunate.

vCash
    Holy Sh*t!!!!!!
    I remember Adam as well shasta, devestating news, although hopefully he will be able to recover and play again after the surgery...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    I hope he is ok!! That is such a horrendous thing to happen to a player in his prime. I hope he bounces back from this to make the Wallabies squad again, in the future!!

vCash
    I'm not a brain surgeon (obviously) but I have to wonder if it's possible to play a contact sport after having a hole drilled in your skull?

vCash
    I think he would be because they fill it back up with plater-of-paris type stuff. Obvioulsy he wouldnt be back on the field straight away and he would have to wear head gear but probably with a bit more padding than most.

Again, Im no brain surgeon but from what i've watched...

vCash
    At last a S14 back with a decent haircut

Obviously best wishes etc.. but they are so clever with these things now that it will all work out for the best

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    I just heard it on ABC radio during a break in the cricket. First time a concussion has done something good, because he got scans and it was diagnosed early.

Best wishes to the Julian and his family. Get well asap mate

Ive never noticed his haircut though..................

vCash
    poor hux! he's is such a great player. thank goodness it's benign and i hope he has a full recovery!

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    crap.
    theres that silver lining hey?
    good luck with it all dude!

vCash
    All the best to you Hux hope all goes well for you

vCash
    All the best to Huxley. A silver lining to an otherwise grey cloud. You have the support of the Australian & International rugby community behind you in your recovery.

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MI5_Dog View Post
    I'm not a brain surgeon (obviously) but I have to wonder if it's possible to play a contact sport after having a hole drilled in your skull?
    Yes MI5 its quite possible. The skull, bone, will have a small hole cut - same hole saw drill attachment as the local hardware - just in titanium. This is fixed back on after surgery with a small plate. The new plates are a bio-enhanced mesh that encourages the bone to regrow quite fast.
    As with all bone injury - the site of damage (& repair) is usually thicker and stronger than the original.

If its a benign and pre-existing tumour it is in no way related to the concusion, and he is very likely to make a full recovery and play again. Maybe not this season as poking around in the brain can effect the balance and motor-control. His skull will be fine long before his brain readjusts and gets firing on all 4 again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast