Thread: Tuqiri the leader as Waratahs take on Brumbies

vCash

Tuqiri the leader as Waratahs take on Brumbies

Tuqiri the leader as Waratahs take on Brumbies
    By Iain Payten Tuqiri the leader as Waratahs take on Brumbies | The Daily Telegraph

March 07, 2008 12:00am

WARATAHS star Lote Tuqiri has a simple message for NSW's growing band of youngsters in tonight's derby with the Brumbies: "Just follow my lead."

Tuqiri delivered his challenge yesterday after a hamstring injury to Timana Tahu saw the star NRL recruit withdraw from the big SFS clash, and two teenagers step into the breach.

Speedster Alfi Mafi, 19, moved on to the wing and tyro Robert Horne, 18, was drafted on to NSW's bench in a re-shuffle that further reduces the average age of the Tahs backline against a similarly youthful Brumbies outfit.

NSW were boosted with fullback Lachlan Turner (shoulder) ruled fit, meaning more changes to the backline were avoided.

But while the Waratahs attempted to shoot down the "Baby Brumbies" underdog claim yesterday - saying their average back was 23 years old compared to the ACT's 24 - Tuqiri said his mission to step up and lead the rookies was clear.

"I lead by actions first. I am not one for big speeches or motivational talks, I would rather lead by actions," Tuqiri said. "If I can do that for the team, lead the troops and especially in the backs, then I'll be happy."

Emerging from a forgettable 2007 where he struggled with form on the field and discipline off it, Tuqiri has been impressing NSW officials this year with his maturity and leadership.

"I've been getting good feedback on that, which hasn't been too bad (to hear)," Tuqiri said.

"The key thing with leadership is communication, and it's been great within the backs this year. I don't know if I have stepped up, but I've certainly felt like I have."

At just 28, Tuqiri was shocked to learn he'll be the oldest back on the field tonight in an exciting, albeit unplanned, display of Generation Next's attacking weapons. Of the 20 backs named in the two squads, eight players are 20 years old or younger.

"It's like a schoolboys re-union, I've played with most of those guys," Mafi said with a laugh yesterday.

Missing the experience of retired stars such as George Gregan and Stephen Larkham and 10 topline stars, the Brumbies teamsheet may read a lot different but their style looked just like the old days in their big win over the Reds last weekend.

Following Julian Huxley's injury early on the Brumbies stopped kicking, embraced a running game and then ran in six tries.

But after taking the rain with them everywhere this year, NSW are hoping forecast showers tonight will hold off and they can cast off the frustrations of wet-weather footy to play a fast, open game.

"They (Brumbies) had a lot of success throwing the ball around last week, and we like to do the same. Hopefully it will be an entertaining game," Waratahs skipper Phil Waugh said.

Prop Al Baxter also returns on the bench, cleared of a head knock.

Along with Beale, Mafi and Horne together played in the 2006 Australian Schoolboys side.

Horne, who also led the Schoolboys to victory over New Zealand for the first time in a decade last year, is the name talked about in rugby corridors as a potential star.

Tuqiri said the bright lights of a Brumbies derby, expected to draw 35,000 fans, was the perfect place for the kids to shine.

"I remember saying to Lachie Turner last year on his debut, it was against the Crusaders: 'Mate, it's in the big games that you make a name for yourself in footy'," Tuqiri said.

"Not that I made any difference, but he played a really good game. These are the games that you want to play in, and these guys have the opportunity now to put their best foot forward

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    HAHA there goes their season!!!

vCash
    I realy don't understand after all the crap Lote has been up to over the years how he can be considered a leader....age doesn't neccessarily make you wise and less of a douche bag...

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    OK, if Trestles is selected and Tuquiri is thier "old head - sage of success" then I'm changing my tips.
    Brumbies will now win this week.

BTW who will have the job of babysitting Beale for his defence ?

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KenyaQuin View Post
    ... "Just follow my lead."
    so there is going to be no trys scored?
    ill discipline play
    and by the end of the game they will be hitting each other over the head?

vCash
    How up yourself can one man be?

Another 10K on the Brumbies there please Mr Bookie man!

C'mon the

vCash
    I actually choked on my Weeties when I read that. Made a mess of my computer screen
    Seems this whole game's about Lote now.

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    So who in the 'Tahs lineup (or the Brumbies for thay matter) played better than Lote?

vCash
    i thought the tahs were lucky in terrible conditions, a draw would of been a fairer result, lots of handling errors, lotes try came from a forward pass, but he did have to do the hard bit, run 40 meters unchallenged and place the ball on the ground, as for who played better than lote? my vote would go to vickerman out standing in the line out........

vCash
    Vickerman landed a couple of good punches too.

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    I thought it was one of the better matches I've seen in such driving rain. There werre not as many handling errors as you might have expected and both teams still tried to play an expansive trial. For all you Lote knockers - and I'll agree he's had some bad disciplinary moments - how did you like his try-scoring stats as quoted by Greg Clarke last night? He's equaled Matt Bourke's total and in 60-odd Super Rugby matches. It took Matt Burke 70-something.

I though Phibbs looked better than the rest of the 9's on display, by quite a bit. I thought Sheehan did enough to earn some splinters in his arse next week. But mostly the way some of those young players are going makes RWC 2011 a mouth watering prospect if they keep developing. They are another vilification of the fourth Super franchise, seeing as most would be still in the academy systems had The force not got a run.