Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Giteau Set to sign on for another 2!!!!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash

Giteau Set to sign on for another 2!!!!

Hot off the Perthnow presses:
    By rugby writer Nick Taylor

March 08, 2008 06:00pm
    EXCLUSIVE by NICK TAYLOR: Western Force superstar Matt Giteau will sign a new two-year deal with the club. Hell yeah!

Australia's biggest-paid, highest-profile player made the decision to stay in Perth on Friday.

He is expected to sign his new contract on Monday.

The dynamic back still has one year of his original Force contract to run and the new deal will keep him at the club through to the 2011 Rugby World Cup.

The Force and the Australian Rugby Union are expected to confirm Giteau's deal on Tuesday.

The decision rounds off a great week for the Force who announced on Tuesday that they had signed captain Nathan Sharpe until the World Cup year - as revealed in The Sunday Times a month ago. Hasn't it just.

It is also understood that Cameron Shepherd, whose contract with the Force ends in October, has started talks with the club and is keen to settle on a deal that would see him stay in Perth. Sharpie, Giteau and Shepherd would make a nice three from three.

Keeping the prized signing of vice-captain Giteau, once nicknamed Kid Dynamite, is news Force fans have been desperate to hear.

Australia's other Super 14 sides would have been interested in snatching the 25-year-old _ who has 51 Test caps and who has made 56 Super appearances _ from the Force.

No doubt cashed up, big paying European sides also showed an interest in Giteau, tagged the million dollar man when he moved to Perth because of the size of that deal.

But indications that he was keen to stay in Perth have been growing for some time.

In August last year he responded to an eastern states report that he was considering a release from his lucrative three-year contract by saying: "I am committed to the Force and staying in Perth.

"I have just bought a house there. What do I need to do? Buy two?''

Then in January, when he was handed the Force vice-captaincy, Giteaureinforced his intentions by saying: "I love the city and enjoy the lifestyle.

"There's been a lot of talk that I was going to leave, that I was unhappy.

"I don't know where that came from.

"I don't see any reason why I should leave.''

Earlier this week, when announcing the Sharpe deal, Force acting chief executive Mitch Hardy said he was pretty confident of holding on to Giteau.

"We would certainly want to hold on to somebody like Matt until the next World Cup at least...and we are pretty confident we will hold on to Matt,'' he said.

Details of Giteau's contract have not been revealed but when he originally signed with the Force was said to have been on $1.5 million a year - a deal that included his Force and ARU salaries and sponsorship agreements.

It was said to be:
    Western Force salary $100,000
    Western Force match fee $50,000
    ARU Wallaby top-up $450,000
    Test appearance fee $150,000
    Corporate sponsorship $500-$750,000

Awesome news. GIGS20 better get that letter to Growden written up because I have a feeling that on top of his usual pie diet there will be a bit of humble pie to get down its going to take him a while too because he has a lot to eat!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Awesome News James, it's great to see that the senior leadership group is all on board....I really does make a mockery of the assertations in the SMH that we'll be having trouble hanging onto players....these guys are not "Wild Wild West" characters either, Sharpie, Gits, Shep.....I have never heard a bad word spoken since they came to Perth.. One letter to the editor coming up......after the game I'm too excited to start now!

C'mon the

vCash
    Just woken up and think I might be dreaming..good stuff.

vCash
    good news story, players re signing now we've just got to get the stadium issue sorted......

vCash
    nice tags guys!

vCash
    That's the best news in awhile, eh? His girl landing a netball contract would've helped too but I reckon they've just learned what a lot of us already know. The southwest corner of WA has a lot to offer in terms of lifestyle and climate. Like they used to say "Relax in a State of excitement."

Now he and the captain have committed it's probably just a matter of time before the rest do the same. Digby, what were you thinking, lad?

Apprentice
    vCash
    Great news! Let's hope he gives a polished performance this evening.

vCash
    great news, why is he signing another contract half way through his current one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jazza93 View Post
    great news, why is he signing another contract half way through his current one.
    he was signed originally on a 3 year contract with the option of extending it another 2 years....

vCash
    I think 'Kid Dynamite' is no longer appropriate for Giteau, how about 'Man Explosion'?

vCash
    "Kick Force"

Brillant news - hopefully it all helps the lads this afternoon - we have so much unfinished business with the Crusaders.

BTW on the inside of main game - Gitts talks about Sharpie - apparently he calls him EMU legs - because he has an annoying habit of appearing were the centres should be - wonder if EMU legs will pass to that cheeky young man today ?

Last edited by Thequeerone; 09-03-08 at 12:29. Reason: added main game bit
    61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    By the looks of the 82nd minute we don't want emu legs passing out of the centres anymore......Running the ball into contact and recyling can be his job around the 10-12 channel!

C'mon the

vCash
    How come only James got my 'Man Explosion' joke? That was some of my best stuff!

vCash
    Woot! Stick that in your paper SMH

Go The Force!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    By the looks of the 82nd minute we don't want emu legs passing out of the centres anymore......Running the ball into contact and recyling can be his job around the 10-12 channel!
    While you have to respect the handling skills of such a big man it gives me nightmares whenever Sharpie passes the ball they always seem such long, slow loopy passes and you just get that horrible feeling of an intercept. Sorry Sharpie.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast