Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "A Cross Deans is happy to bear"

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash

"A Cross Deans is happy to bear"

Greg Growden | March 9, 2008 - 9:01PM

Crusaders 29 Force 24

Daniel Carter versus Matt Giteau was the big duel at Subiaco Oval last night, but Ryan Cross was the man to use the big occasion to ingratiate himself with the next Wallabies coach.

Robbie Deans was last night cursing Cross for how he showed up the Crusaders in the first half, but in a few months' time will hark back to his performance when working out his first Test line-up as the Wallabies coach.

Although the Force ran out of momentum after leading 24-12 in the 50th minute, enabling the Crusaders to remain on top of the Super 14 ladder, what Deans, who changes camps after the tournament, will remember about this high-quality, nine-try match is the impact Cross had on it.

With Matt Giteau expected to be Deans's Wallabies No.10, and Stirling Mortlock likely to move to No.12, Cross is now in line to be the next Test outside-centre, after being the standout No.13 in the opening month of the tournament.

The big space breaker last night was Cross, his involvement in several Force first-half tries had the Crusaders struggling to get their act together.

In the crucial duel between the two best southern hemisphere No.10s, the early points went to Carter. Giteau was looking for a divot to hide under when Carter fashioned the Crusaders' first try by running at his opposing pivot, who embarrassingly slid off him in the tackle, enabling the All Black five-eighth to finish off a solo try.

It was a rare defensive blemish by Giteau, but he was not helped by a lack of assistance from his fellow Force defenders. The Force's inside-centre, Lachlan MacKay, was caught in no man's land, being too far away to cover Carter after he passed Giteau.

But gradually Giteau regathered himself. While Carter suddenly had problems with his kicking boot, Giteau burrowed his way back. He was soon found on his hands and knees scrambling under a mob of Crusaders defenders to break through.

And then shortly after Giteau lit the spark for a Force comeback when he gave Cross the chance to show off. On the half-hour, Giteau showed the ball, lured several defenders, before Cross veered inside the pivot, took the pass, and then cut through on an acute angle to create the gap and level the scores at 12-12.

It was just reward for the Force, who had played the right tactics against their opponents by out-crusadering the Crusaders - playing as close to the gain line as possible, passing under pressure, and being outstanding in counter-attack.

The Force's best try was reminiscent of the Crusaders in their prime. The visitors lost the ball at the tackle and the Force were away through No.8 Richard Brown. Then an exceptional lob pass by Scott Staniforth followed by a marvellous one-hander by Cross, as he tiptoed along the sideline, put Brown through for five points.

It was clearly obvious both teams were out to impress current and future coaches.

In a rejuvenating pick-me-up, the pace was as hot as the Perth afternoon sun, and the purpose of both sides was of the highest calibre. They limited their kicking and instead attempted to probe each other's midfield defence by keeping the ball in hand, build up the phases, and wherever possible deceive with clever changes of attacking angles.

The skills were exceptional. The speed was incredible. There were countless great tries. The Super 14 is alive.

A Cross Deans is happy to bear - rugbyheaven07.com.au

wow. compliments from pie-eater. bolding is mine

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Maybe he's been turned to the lighter side of the Force. Crossy has been great thus far I think he was always going to do much better this season having played a Super 14, a PNC Australia A campaign and for the Spirit.

Personally I don't like the idea of Stirling Mortlock at 12. I know we are desperate for options there but I'd much rather see another play-maker maybe even trying Berrick Barnes there (I blame his form on the Reds). I still have 'Nam style flashbacks of having Stirlo and Tuqiri in the mid-field against Ireland in 2006 and the beating we copped.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    I think Mortlock at 12 and Cross at 13 wont happen, Traditionally you dont have to "crash ballers" at 12 and 13.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    I agree, the reason Cross is doing so well at 13 this season (Apart from a superhuman work rate and some of the best angle running I've seen from anyone in the last 3 years) is because Mitch has started using flyhalves at 12. The first five, second five formation I've been talking about all season is working wonders to open spaces for the outside backs.........Robbie will see that, and he's coming from All Black land where there seems to be no other way to play the game! I think Robbie will look at the 12's we've got in this country and call them 13s, He'll then take a look at the 10s and put the number two 10 at 12. Ryan will unfortunately be fighting it out with the incumbent Wallaby captain for the number 13 shirt......based upon the last three weeks, he might just win that arm wrestle!

C'mon the

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I've said it before (but maybe I've more cause to hope now): I'd LOVE to see what Hilgendorf might bring to 12. Personal opinion is that he could offer the best of both hard running and offloading, as appropriate.

Agree that Mortlock is not a 12. Inside centre has to be able to distribute, and that has seldom been a feature of Mortlock's game. One of the things that impressed me is that Cross is looking to link with other runners, and the pass to Brown was pure gold. However, as a minimum, maybe the Wallabies can stop stressing over Mortlock's propensity for injury.

vCash
    Oh I'd say Cross is the form 13 of the comp right now.....nobody matches him, I'd also question Mortlock's ability to show his wares in the Brumbies this season, Instability isn't a good thing for an outside back, because it's just as likely they'll never get the ball. A center can't chase the ball like a winger can and therefore he'll be dependent upon the inside backs getting the ball out to him.

I'd suggest there's going to be a WF team order now, GET THE BALL TO CROSS AS OFTEN AS POSSIBLE!

With a bit more runnign from Half and Cross punching holes through the outside, we should see Gits dancing through mile-wide gaps before too much longer

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    In the crucial duel between the two best southern hemisphere No.10s, the early points went to Carter. Giteau was looking for a divot to hide under when Carter fashioned the Crusaders' first try by running at his opposing pivot, who embarrassingly slid off him in the tackle, enabling the All Black five-eighth to finish off a solo try.
    That would be a pivot's divot then.

vCash
    I agree Andy Hilgy has even been given a shot. He had a great opening season if anyone can remember that far back, and since Gits' arrival we haven't heard a whisper about him. I though Mackay's defence was a little disappointing on the weekend, and I was surprised he was rushed in without any time off the bench in previous rounds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Oh I'd say Cross is the form 13 of the comp right now.....nobody matches him
    Agree with you there GIGS. In my eyes, and I stand corrected, big difference between Cross' game and Stirlo's (from past years) is the tackle pop-pass which Cross does quite effectively. Looks like the Force players are beginning to gel quite well with Cross having players running off his shoulder in anticipation of the pop-pass.

Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    With a bit more runnign from Half and Cross punching holes through the outside, we should see Gits dancing through mile-wide gaps before too much longer
    True there as well. Teams watching the video from the weekend and the previous season games, will probably now give extra attention to Cross meaning 2 or 3 defenders will shift secondary focus to Cross giving Gits and other players in the line more opportunity employ dummy and switch plays.

This however could be a double edged sword and the one thing The Force will hopefully avoid is over-utilise Cross as a dummy runner and shut him out of the game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by littleleck View Post
    I agree Andy Hilgy has even been given a shot. He had a great opening season if anyone can remember that far back, and since Gits' arrival we haven't heard a whisper about him. I though Mackay's defence was a little disappointing on the weekend, and I was surprised he was rushed in without any time off the bench in previous rounds.
    Thought Hilgendorf was injured which is why he isn't playing. Thought it was great to see McKay out there - especially coming off the field without an injury for a change!!

Laugh and the world laughs with you.......
    ......cry and you'll weaken your beer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KenyaQuin View Post
    This however could be a double edged sword and the one thing The Force will hopefully avoid is over-utilise Cross as a dummy runner and shut him out of the game.
    I would be comfortable leaving the final decision on whether to pass to Cross up to Gits though, He's not at 5/8 for nothing you know!

We also have a bevy of decision makers getting plenty of time at 12, and I really don't think we've got a particularly unselfish crop of 5/8ths, they seem to be taking the runs if they're there!

Crossy will continue to dominte, and the 10-12s will start to look for the gaps, I think it's too easy to read the doom and gloom of one player having a stellar season saying he'll be overutilised, I'd suggest in the professional era, there are a bunch of people around Crossy smiling like cheshire cats because they KNOW DAMN WELL the Blues will double up their defense on him.....that'll make gaps for Shep....and Drew....and Nicky.....and Gits! As long as Ryan can keep mentally strong enough to keep taking the dummy runs, everything will be good!

C'mon the

vCash
    One thing I've seen Ryan do in the ARC was to draw players in.
    I can remember a number of times where I've seen him with 3 or 4 guys trying to pull him down and he's managed to get the ball way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KenyaQuin View Post
    I would be comfortable leaving the final decision on whether to pass to Cross up to Gits though, He's not at 5/8 for nothing you know!

We also have a bevy of decision makers getting plenty of time at 12, and I really don't think we've got a particularly unselfish crop of 5/8ths, they seem to be taking the runs if they're there!

Crossy will continue to dominte, and the 10-12s will start to look for the gaps, I think it's too easy to read the doom and gloom of one player having a stellar season saying he'll be overutilised, I'd suggest in the professional era, there are a bunch of people around Crossy smiling like cheshire cats because they KNOW DAMN WELL the Blues will double up their defense on him.....that'll make gaps for Shep....and Drew....and Nicky.....and Gits! As long as Ryan can keep mentally strong enough to keep taking the dummy runs, everything will be good!

C'mon the

vCash
    Alright, already GIGS we heard you the first time.

vCash
    I thought i was having de ja vu GIGS I know you're God like with your wisdom but really...

Hmm I do agree about Crossie but i don't think he'll be replacing sterlo right at this moment...he should be up there though. Particularly if Deans' Wallaby backline looks like the WF which i think it should

Can't believe this article came from grumbles...when did he start making sense and being nice to us?

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast