Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Force -v- Crusaders, Team Announced

vCash

Force -v- Crusaders, Team Announced

Emirates Western Force Coach John Mitchell has named his team for Sunday’s Investec Super 14 Week 4 clash with the Crusaders at Subiaco Oval.

The highly-anticipated home debut for the Emirates Western Force pits the Perth-based team against the thus far undefeated six-time Super Rugby champions.

Mitchell has again made significant changes to his lineup, calling in newly-signed scrumhalf Chris O’Young and awarding Lachlan MacKay his first starting XV berth since 2006.

O’Young, who recently re-joined the Club after a stint with Magners League team Glasgow Warriors, will start in the blue number 9 jersey for the first time since last year’s Week 11 loss to the Chiefs.

MacKay, who has had his past two seasons decimated by leg injuries, has played just three matches in two seasons with the Club and is uncapped this season despite twice being named on the reserves bench in South Africa.

The 25-year-old utility has been named at inside centre, while Scott Staniforth assumes the right wing position from the injured Nick Cummins (shoulder).

Mitchell has continued his experimentation in the forwards, bringing AJ Whalley back into the starting XV at tighthead prop and switching Tamaiti Horua from Number 8 to blindside flanker.

19-year-old David Pocock returns to the openside flank, while Richard Brown has been recalled at Number 8.

Test hooker Tai McIsaac also returns to the starting team after playing from the reserves bench in last week’s victory over the Lions in Johannesburg.

Coach John Mitchell said Perth fans will be treated to a frenetic encounter in their first visit to Subiaco Oval this season

“Whenever you come up against a New Zealand opponent, the speed of the game is going to be a step up and it’s a challenge that we are looking forward to.

With the style of football that both teams like to play, this could be a very special contest,” said Mitchell.

Mitchell said that he was looking for an improved attacking performance in his team after some strong defensive showings in South Africa.

“We put up some strong defensive performances in South Africa but we are continuing to explore ways to stress opposition defenses when we’re in attack,” he said.

Overall head to head: Played 2, Crusaders 1, Drawn 1.

Last met: 7 April 2007, Crusaders 53 def EWF 0, Jade Stadium, Christchurch.

Emirates Western Force v Crusaders
    Sunday 9 March, 2008
    Subiaco Oval, Perth
    Kick off: 5.10pm (7.10pm AEDT)

Emirates Western Force

1. Gareth Hardy
    2. Tai McIsaac
    3. AJ Whalley
    4. Tom Hockings
    5. Nathan Sharpe (c)
    6. Tamaiti Horua
    7. David Pocock
    8. Richard Brown

9. Chris O’Young
    10. Matt Giteau (vc)
    11. Drew Mitchell
    12. Lachlan MacKay
    13. Ryan Cross
    14. Scott Staniforth
    15. Cameron Shepherd

Reserves
    16. Luke Holmes
    17. Troy Takiari
    18. Sam Wykes
    19. Matt Hodgson
    20. James Stannard
    21. Scott Daruda
    22. Josh Tatupu

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    missing in action this week are Fava and Pusey

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    I like it anyway!

Is Pusey out of Fava?

Brother Gallagher I hear you

vCash
    Gees- Unlucky for Scotty Fava- he had some good matches over in the Republic. Yay for Lachlan ("Are you with HBF?") Mackay though!

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    AJ's back...we're definitely gonna win now

coz Stone Cold says so

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I love the look of this team. In the backs at least we have great defense and I think it is a great idea to put Lachie Mackay in at 12 he practically hasn't played Super rugby since 2005 and will be a total unknown which is exciting. I feel sorry for Stannard but Chris O'Young will be keen as mustard to have a great game. I think we've brought out our first choice pack too. I'm really looking forward to Sunday we have a very nice and potentially explosive team going onto the park with hopefully 35,000 to fuel the fire.

vCash
    Yeah. its a good team to play. But i think Spanner's talent is being wasted at wing, even though i really want to see Lachlan play. I wouldn't mind seeing james O'Connor play on the wing after his thriller against the Reds A team. But the forward pack looks top, esp with Brownie and Pocock back inside. Everyone's amping up the flyhalf challenge with Carter vs Giteau. but i think we're missing out the other big rivalry with Pocock possibly playing against McCaw.

I didnt think Stannard had a good game last week and Chrisso deserves a chance to get a run-on. And not too sure about Josh Tatupu. Didn't stand out when he came on the past few weeks. But it looks like its gonna be a killer of a match, well worth watching.

Heck, this is better than watching the World Cup Final.

vCash
    GTF, I would imagine Mitchell's gone for Lachie at inside centre to give the Force two kicking and first receiver options reducing reliance and pressure on Gits. Also, Scott's not to shabby on the wing and should be able to hold his ground against either Scott Hamilton or Caleb Ralph.

vCash
    Exactly Kenya, I was going to suggest that Mitch is pushing the First Five Second Five structure pretty hard this year. I think it looks like a great tema, and wouldn't panic too much about Spanner until we see what his match instructions are. I'd expect to see him bruising up the Canterbury wingers in devence and running inside angles in attack. Lachie has the speed and the quality to make the outside channel work for him, and I think Shep will be plaing a third winger in attack!

Looks good, I hope Bamm Bamm has a MOM this week, since I've got both him and McCaw in mt fantasy side!

C'mon the

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I'd agree, despite a possible shortfall in speed Scott is on the wing for defense leveraging into attack.

This is the game where David Pocock needs to come of age. He has all the potential in the world - time to let it shine. AJ too...a statement needs to be made, otherwise the search for front rowers will never extend past the ARUs navel.

These next two games will tell the tale, but I've always thought that matches against Kiwi teams are played as much in the head as on the ground. They've doubtless got the ability, so it is about attitude and self-belief for the guys - hope they can find in themselves what we all see.

vCash
    That is one hell of a back line. I agree with James that "Lachie Mackay ..will be a total unknown" which will give us another surprise up our sleeve. It is also good to see O'Young back in the EWF first 15, he should bring his flair to the match as well.

Having quick forwards may be the key and not to have Fava in the pack is a blow to that. Although Super AJ Whalley should be able to take up the slack.

Go The Force!

Champion
    vCash
    with basically every force player fighting for there own starting position
    its going to be an awesome game.
    if cross wants to play for the wallabies this is the game he needs to make a name for himself.
    lets hope the huge home crowd advantage will get the boys over the line

vCash
    I keep looking at the Christchurch stats from last year - stop it - C.O'Y 5 tackles made, 4 tackles missed?
    He'll be happy he's got another shot to sort that little lot out.

Brother Gallagher I hear you

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pruc View Post
    with basically every force player fighting for there own starting position
    That is so true..............

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    I like the fact that Mitch has deliberately saved this as the game where players prove themselves, He's been talking about a planned rotation for three weeks now, I bet this week the changeroom is You're playing for your spot!...........nothing better than getting the fired up first choice squad on the park and telling them they're playing to prove something.

I think this is a major reason why Chrisso didn't make the field last week, He'll be busting to show Mitch that Chucky is an infant in comparison, and this is the best forum to do that!

So many tasty matchups across the park....I'll probably be rushing home to watch the replay on Sunday night!

C'mon the

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast