Thread: ELVs work no magic on northerners

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash

ELVs work no magic on northerners

ELVs work no magic on northerners
    By DAVID LONG - Sunday News | Sunday, 09 March 2008
    ELVs work no magic on northerners - Rugby news & coverage - Stuff.co.nz

IRB vice chairman Bill Beaumont fears the Super 14 coaches have scuppered the ruling body's hopes of bringing in all 30 of the experimental law variations.

The IRB already face an uphill battle convincing the northern hemisphere nations that ELVs are good for the game and with the Super 14 coaches deciding to only use eight of them this year, Beaumont concedes that's it's now going to be difficult to get the green light on the other 22.

"If you had them all there then it would have been easier to make a decision on them," Beaumont told Sunday News.

"South Africa are playing with them all (in the Currie and Vodacom cups), what we've got to do now is an in-depth analysis of the effect they've had on the game."

Super 14 coaches voted before Christmas to accept the eight current law changes, but the more controversial laws like hands in the ruck and allowing the collapsing of mauls have not been introduced.

A decision on the laws will be taken at a meeting of the IRB full council in November.

Former All Blacks captain Taine Randell says the ELVs have been greeted with scepticism in the northern hemisphere.

"They're pretty much scorned," Randell, who lives in London, told Sunday News.

"Everyone over here is just waiting to see how it goes, some of the rules will work but others might get ditched."

But Wales coach Warren Gatland can't see any need to change the laws in the first place.

"I don't think there's a huge amount wrong with the game," he said.

Saracens first-five Glen Jackson is equally non-plussed.

"Some of them are very good but others are pretty ordinary," he said. "The freekicks are good, but teams will start cheating more."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    A far bigger barrier to the support of the Northern Hemisphere teams is the fact that we're playing running rugby this season.....I think it's more coincidental, and has more to do with the AllBlacks being available.

C'mon the

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    The basic problem with NH rugby is they dont like change. Penalties rule and thats that. France if they took on the ELVS would be awesome. The game is far richer and enjoyable now and i believe there is no turning back(a bit like 20/20 cricket). Watch the Scotland v England game(crap conditions) and our game. How exciting was our game compared to a no try slugfest. If we want to expand the game internationally we have to adopt ELVS even watered down.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Hydrangea View Post
    The basic problem with NH rugby is they dont like change. Penalties rule and thats that. France if they took on the ELVS would be awesome. The game is far richer and enjoyable now and i believe there is no turning back(a bit like 20/20 cricket). Watch the Scotland v England game(crap conditions) and our game. How exciting was our game compared to a no try slugfest. If we want to expand the game internationally we have to adopt ELVS even watered down.
    I watched both games and I know the likes of England and Scotland will opt not to change for fear they won't be able to keep up with the rest of the world (despite already struggling). I think its been poor leadership with the IRB regarding the ELVs- you can't blame the Super 14 for not playing them all because whats the point in playing all these new laws if you're not pretty confident everyone else will adopt them. Saying that I think the IRB should at least push the ones we have in the Super 14 through. Like passing back into the 22 should go, more free-kicks at scrum time and at breakdowns because it just makes a faster and better quality game with less stoppages.

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I watched both games and I know the likes of England and Scotland will opt not to change for fear they won't be able to keep up with the rest of the world (despite already struggling). I think its been poor leadership with the IRB regarding the ELVs- you can't blame the Super 14 for not playing them all because whats the point in playing all these new laws if you're not pretty confident everyone else will adopt them. Saying that I think the IRB should at least push the ones we have in the Super 14 through. Like passing back into the 22 should go, more free-kicks at scrum time and at breakdowns because it just makes a faster and better quality game with less stoppages.
    Not sure where you get your info on Scotland's attitude to change from but a form of the ELV's where tried out in Scotland and were fairly well accepted. The SRU of old would have been against the ELV's, but now I wouldn't be too sure.

Just happy to be here

vCash
    The biggest hurdle will probably be the perception that it is an initiative of the SH Unions. As we've heard, many punters in the Home Union countries think that in particular it's being pushed by John O'Neill.

Perhaps it would have been smarter to run trials in both hemispheres again this season. Possibly by broadening it to S14, Magners League and English Premiership.

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Your on the money Shasta.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Well, as I think was posted elsewhere, they have about 18 months to make it all happen. My understanding is that the RWC gets played to the laws 2 years out from the tournament, so they have 'til then. After that, I wouldn't expect anyone will be playing to experimental anything.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    As we've heard, many punters in the Home Union countries think that in particular it's being pushed by John O'Neill.
    Might it be that this is because JO'N is pushing it like a ..... ummm.....looking for a really pushy thing simile ........... suggestions?

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Might it be that this is because JO'N is pushing it like a ..... ummm.....looking for a really pushy thing simile ........... suggestions?
    Crack dealer?