Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Force Take Shape for NZ Tour

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Force Take Shape for NZ Tour

Our boys, especially Cameron Shepherd, are in for a treat in their match against the Auckland Blues at North Harbour this weekend.

Not only will they have a significant InnForcers Troup from TWF over there showing their support, they will have Taylor, Sophie and their friends from the Auckland area there to egg on Cameron Shepherd and the rest of the team!

Taylor and Sophie know Cameron Shepherd and his family, and have invited their friends to help support the Force against the Blues.

Taylor said that the Force need to "get more hungry and play with passion."

These girls could just give the team enough of a pre-match lift to get them over the line against a strong Auckland outfit - "Just do it boys and get the job done"

Emirates Western Force Coach John Mitchell has named his team for Saturday’s Investec Super 14 Week 5 clash with the Blues at North Harbour Stadium in Albany, NZ.

The Perth-based team is searching for its first victory over the Blues, in the first encounter of a two-match tour across the Tasman.

After last week’s narrow defeat to the Crusaders at home, Mitchell has opted for a similar make-up to his starting XV for a clash with the competition’s third-placed team.

Injury to prop Gareth Hardy has given Troy Takiari the chance to impress at loosehead prop, while the only other change to the starting lineup sees James Stannard return at scrumhalf.

Versatile back-rower Tamaiti Horua returns to the reserves bench after withdrawing from last week’s clash with a hamstring strain.

Other new additions to the bench include 21-year-old prop Pek Cowan and rookie winger Nick Cummins, who has recovered from the shoulder injury which kept him out of last week’s tense battle with the Crusaders.

Coach John Mitchell is wary of the threat from the Blues, who lost their final tour match in South Africa 22-17 to the Sharks last weekend.

“The Blues are a ruthless and hungry side that is the most explosive team in the competition,” said Mitchell.

“The challenge for us is to back up with authority and improve on our performance last week.”

Flanker Matt Hodgson completes the touring party of 23 players. The team departs Perth for Auckland via Sydney tomorrow.

Quotes from EWF Coach John Mitchell’s team announcement press conference are available by contacting Michael Earsman on 0438 350 580

Overall head to head: Played 2, Blues 2, EWF 0.

Last met: 4 May 2007, Blues 33 def EWF 6, Subiaco Oval, Perth.

Emirates Western Force v Blues
    Saturday 15 March, 2008
    North Harbour Stadium, Albany, NZ
    Kick off: 5.30pm (1.30pm WA)

Emirates Western Force
    1. Troy Takiari
    2. Tai McIsaac
    3. AJ Whalley
    4. Tom Hockings
    5. Nathan Sharpe (c)
    6. Scott Fava
    7. David Pocock
    8. Richard Brown

9. James Stannard
    10. Matt Giteau (vc)
    11. Drew Mitchell
    12. Lachlan MacKay
    13. Ryan Cross
    14. Scott Staniforth
    15. Cameron Shepherd

Reserves
    16. Luke Holmes
    17. Pek Cowan
    18. Sam Wykes
    19. Tamaiti Horua
    20. Chris O’Young
    21. Scott Daruda
    22. Nick Cummins

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    looks to me to be a very solid team..
    slightly disappointed to see scotty still on the wing..
    i don't know about the rest of you but i'm so excited about the future of Horua
    how big and mobile is he!
    big call starting stannard, though he has played well this season and probably deserves it...

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    So, the same team other than forced changes. Got to say it is our first team, but just about anyone on that bench could demand selection with a good performance. Nice position to be in!

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Someone wanted cheerleaders? We got them for this match

vCash
    they have my vote - it's all shaping up nicely - would be nice to break the Kiwi Hoodoo

CARN THE

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    So, the same team other than forced changes.
    dropping oyoung wasnt a forced changed.

vCash
    Didn't he get smashed last week?

Wasn't looking too steady to me!

C'mon the

vCash

Looks like a pretty solid team to me too....what a great effort by the girls, good on 'em for showing their support

vCash
    AS much as i am happy for mcKay to be playing again I agree that Scotty will get wasted ou t there on the wing which is the wing that doesnt see the ball that much.

I think O'Young was put back because of those knocks wasn't he?

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Spanner's presence on the wing is good for our defence.

Just happy to be here

vCash
    Good to see Chucky back in the starting line up, O' Young did not perform.

Every forwards dream is to become a back...

vCash

Blues team to take on the Force

Blues' Head Coach David Nucifora has made one change to his starting 15 for Sunday's match against the Sharks.
    Anthony Boric will start at lock ahead of Kurtis Haiu, who switches to the bench.

"Consistency has been a big factor of our campaign to date and having assessed the players after their travel home from South Africa, everybody's in good form," Nucifora says.

"Anthony Boric has been given the starting spot at No.4 this week. He has performed well off the bench so far this season and deserves this opportunity. Given Kurtis Haiu's form this season, he will make a major impact later in the game.

Flanker Daniel Braid is likely to play for the Blues' Development team in Saturday's curtain raiser against the Wellington Development team (kick off 2.40pm).

"The decision to keep Daniel Braid out of the line-up this week is to give him some much-needed game time and a decent hit-out before throwing him into the mix. Daniel commits himself 100% every time he plays and having not played a game for several months, a development game this week is the sensible option," Nucifora says .

"It is the ideal vehicle to ease Braidy back in and also to give the guys outside the playing 22 some valuable match practice."

1 Tony Woodcock
    2 Keven Mealamu
    3 John Afoa
    4 Anthony Boric
    5 Troy Flavell ©
    6 Jerome Kaino
    7 Justin Collins
    8 Nick Williams
    9 Danny Lee
    10 Nick Evans
    11 Joe Rokocoko
    12 Benson Stanley
    13 Isaia Toeava
    14 Anthony Tuitavake
    15 Ben Atiga
    Replacements:
    16 Tom McCartney
    17 Nick White
    18 Kurtis Haiu
    19 Onosa’i Tololima-Auva’a
    20 Taniela Moa
    21 Rudi Wulf
    22 George Pisi

Brother Gallagher I hear you

vCash
    I dunno, does anybody else here feel they should make this 2 from 2? I feel as though it's well within their abilities to do so. Of course the Blues first up is always tough, but I'll be a bit disappointed if they don't sweep the tour; am I expecting too much or being too harsh?!

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    I'm not sure which way to go either chibi... at the TAB I've gone heart all the way, because I really do believe that we've got the firepower to do this, but there are a few chinks in the armour which might just serve to help us stumble
    1 we're still a young team with a definite mental issue...the hoodoo thing seems to be pretty big. This is our first game in uNZud this season and we've never won over there, there is a possibility that the boys might just go into their shell and fulfill their own prophecy "we can't win in New Zealand"

2 Boof is a big loss, I'm not saying there aren't able replacements, there are, but our scrum will not be as strong as last week

3 Dave Pocock has been an absolute tyro in the loose ALL YEAR and his loss will be felt as well!

Factor 2 and 3 would not mean all that much at all if it wasn't for factor 1, We certinly have adequate cover for these guys, but what do the boys think? will it cause them to play conservative rugby and kick the ball away all day.....That's not what they did on Sunday, and it's not what they want to do tomorrow!

C'mon the

vCash
    I don't agree with Takiari beign adequate cover for Boof Gigs...Takiari comes from the Tah school of scrumagging aka the folding chair syndrome....I think if the front row of the Blues step up we are ruined, no doubt in my mind...the tight five is where I honestly believe we will lose this game. (I want some hard ass props!)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast