Fisher orders Brumbies to 'front up' for Cheetahs
Saturday, 15 March 2008
Fisher orders Brumbies to 'front up' for Cheetahs - New Zealand's source for sport, rugby, cricket & league news on Stuff.co.nz

Acting Brumbies captain George Smith predicts his side will definitely be up for the Cheetahs next week when they attempt get their stalled Super 14 rugby campaign back on track in his 100th tournament game for the franchise.

Last night's 15-33 loss to the Hurricanes equalled the Brumbies' biggest home loss and ramped up the pressure on Smith's team to win in Canberra next Friday, with their bye coming in the following round.

The Brumbies dropped one place to eighth after the Stormers moved above them with a bonus-point win over the Chiefs and would slide one more spot if the Bulls beat the Reds in Brisbane tonight.

"We've got to put this one behind us and move on," Smith said.

"We've got an important match with the Cheetahs next week and that's our last game before the bye, so well definitely be up for it."

Brumbies coach Laurie Fisher thought the Cheetahs' team selection for today's match against the ladder-leading Crusaders in Christchurch suggested they were targeting next Friday's game in Canberra.

"I know the Cheetahs are resting some of their topliners tonight like (flanker Duane) Vermuelen, so I think they certainly see next week as a real opportunity for them, so we'll need to front up," Fisher said.

Fisher will demand a harder edge to his team's play at the breakdown after they were bullied and belted in that area by the Hurricanes.

"We've got to be better at the tackle point," Fisher said.

"We turned over a few last week our carries and our chasing wasn't good enough and it wasn't good enough again.

"I don't think we got enough pressure on their ball at the tackle as well, so it's that contest part of the game we've got to continue to improve."

He said the Brumbies suffered no injuries last night and that Australian test forwards Guy Shepherdson and Al Campbell could be available for selection next week.

Smith cited a much improved lineout performance as one positive the Brumbies could salvage from the loss.

He will next week become the fifth Brumby to reach three figures behind longstanding Wallabies team-mates George Gregan, Stephen Larkham, Bill Young and Jeremy Paul.

"It's a good achievement. It's the fruition of being consistent throughout my time here," Smith said.

At 27, Smith has already won six Brumbies players' player awards in eight seasons, including all of the last five, an incredible achievement given the awesome array of test stars he has played alongside.

The champion ball pilferer suggested he would probably remain with the Brumbies for the rest of his Super career.

"I've enjoyed my time with the Brumbies and to notch up 100 for the one club would be great. Loyalty is a big part of my game," said Smith, who is under contract at least until the end of next year.

"I've always played for one club. I've always played with Manly in my local district and always played for the Brumbies, so I'd love to stay a Brumby for life."