Thread: Get ready for a pounding from rugby's rich Poms

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash

Get ready for a pounding from rugby's rich Poms

This is written with a NZ slant however it will hit Aus as well.

Get ready for a pounding from rugby's rich Poms
    By MARC HINTON - Sunday Star Times | Sunday, 16 March 2008
    Get ready for a pounding from rugby's rich Poms - New Zealand's source for sport, rugby, cricket & league news on Stuff.co.nz

Big-spending English rugby clubs will have an extra 1 million in their coffers as they get set for off-season raids on southern hemisphere talent, with off-contract All Black Daniel Carter as the principal target.

The salary cap in England's Guinness Premiership is being lifted to 4 million from next season, adding 1 million to the player salary total.

That's hugely significant in terms of clubs' ability to offer the sort of contracts that would lure Carter or his All Blacks team-mate Nick Evans away from New Zealand.

It's already likely that French super-club Toulose will also weigh in with a massive deal to entice Carter into that country's Top 14 competition, for which there is no salary cap.

Stade Francais, with multi-millionaire backer, Max Guazzini, is another that could break the bank to lure a player of Carter's stature.

Carter's signature would smash the record mark of 300,000-a-year (NZ$750,000) paid to lure All Blacks tighthead Carl Hayman to Newcastle.

It's thought Carter could be offered a deal in excess of $1 million a year to play his rugby in the north.

Carter has made no secret of his fascination with playing in the northern hemisphere, late last year telling UK media that he would strongly consider any offers to take his game there when his current contract ends.

In a recent interview with his home-town newspaper, The Press, Carter did little to diffuse the suggestion he's ready to entertain the big money available in the north.

"In a fairytale I would love to be here in 2011 playing for the All Blacks," he said. "That would be a dream."

But: "I come off contract at the end of the year and I suppose it is a matter of weighing up what I want to do. At this point I am just focusing on this campaign."

Carter's representatives did not want to talk to the Star-Times about their client's prospects for beyond this year, no doubt happy to let the offers come rolling in before they make any firm decisions.

UK sources suggest the salary cap increase should allow leading clubs to look at signing at least three marquee players in their off-season spending sprees.

And with the new agreement between the RFU and clubs kicking in (whereby clubs are compelled to release England internationals for a certain number of weekends a season) it's thought that the value of southern hemisphere players will rise even further.

Leicester is one club committed to landing a big-name No10, with either Evans or Carter sure to be at the top of their wanted list.

CARTER IS considered the No1 target, given his contract situation and stated interest in playing in Europe, but the talented Evans, thriving with the Blues in the Super 14, is not far behind him.

Evans also comes to the end of his deal with the NZRU in 2008.

It's thought he wants to wait to see what Carter does before committing himself to a shift north.

If Carter takes the money and jumps ship, Evans will finally have the way clear for an uninterrupted run in the All Blacks No 10 jersey and could elect to stay.

Sources in Christchurch indicate Carter has still to make up his mind on what his future will be post-2008, but suggest it will take a "compelling" offer to lure him away from New Zealand, where he has several business interests alongside a contract with the NZRU thought to pay him in the region of $600,000 a year.

WHATEVER DECISION Carter comes to, the reality is that the raids from cashed up English and French clubs on the creme of New Zealand talent are only going to continue.

Jerry Collins, Ma'a Nonu, Craig Newby, Mose Tuiali'i and Isa Nacewa are just some of the leading New Zealanders being targeted.

New Zealand Rugby Players' Association boss Rob Nichol believes rugby is in major danger of heading down the path of international cricket where Indian money threatens to change the face of the game.

"Rugby is very close to being in a scenario similar to what cricket is experiencing now," said Nichol, emphasising that the European scene is only going to grow stronger with its major broadcast and sponsorship deals.

"If you're part of the Pacific Islands or Argentina, it's there now."

Already the NZRPA has 150 overseas-based members, or 15% of its membership. Nichol estimates that in the next few years that figure could raise to as high as 50%.

The players' boss strongly believes that the only way for New Zealand rugby to compete with the money on offer in the north, and retain leading players, is to expand the Super 14 to include Asia-based sides and to open up the New Zealand franchises to private ownership.

"Everyone's saying we've got a problem keeping Dan here.

"But what if he was also looking at offers from Shanghai, Hong Kong, Sydney or even Auckland and Christchurch, to compete in a competition that would still see him playing in this part of the world?"

Nichol acknowledges that there would need to be some significant shifts in thinking to take rugby to the sort of levels he envisages, but already we've had Australian Rugby Union boss John O'Neill this week laying the seeds for that sort of move with his proposal for a significant expansion of the Super 14.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    As much I whole heartedly love my Wallabies, the All Blacks the only other time I would consider supporting and I really hope Dan Carter doesn't leave them. He is such an asset to their team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by laura View Post
    As much I whole heartedly love my Wallabies, the All Blacks the only other time I would consider supporting and I really hope Dan Carter doesn't leave them. He is such an asset to their team.
    I'm pretty sure that is the opposite attitude you are supposed to have as a Wallabies supporter...

vCash
    Yes but I would rather him play for the All Blacks than England.

vCash
    i would rather the wallabies play against the best in the world rather then the second choice players.

vCash
    You're right there TOCC I don't want Carter to play for the ABs because I want them to succeed, I want him to play for them so they don't have a bitch session when we rip the Bledisloe out of their tear-stained fingers! They'll already have "you stole our best coach!" why wish for "we don't have a decent first-five" as well?

C'mon the

Apprentice
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by laura View Post
    Yes but I would rather him play for the All Blacks than England.
    Ehhh, Carter can't play for England as he is already an All Black.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    As much as it pains me to say this - but with this article in mind - John O'Neil's plan for the expansion of Super14 maybe the only chance for SANZAR to keep all of our Test players.

More games of Super Rugby = more broadcast dollars, Japanese team = new Sponsors Market = we get to keep our Marquee players.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    I don't think anybody here is saying S14 expansion is a bad thing Ex, I'm pretty sure we'd all be happy to see more rugby....what everybody's saying is that it'll never happen because JO'N has gone with his usual consultation strategy here.....talk to no-one and release a media statement first! SANZAR will not endorse this simply out of spite!

C'mon the