Thread: O'Neill yields to state of disarray

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

O'Neill yields to state of disarray

By Bret Harris
    February 02, 2008
    A POTENTIAL court battle between the Australian Rugby Union and the Victorian Rugby Union over an outstanding debt has been averted following a successful settlement between the two parties.

And Victoria remains confident that Melbourne will host the next Australian Super rugby team in any future expansion of the competition, despite speculation the team will be located in western Sydney.

The ARU is understood to have agreed to contribute $400,000 to $500,000 to the VRU to wipe out a debt incurred by the state union's running of Melbourne Rebels in the short-lived Australian Rugby Championship.

This follows a meeting in Melbourne between ARU chief executive John O'Neill and VRU chairman Gary Gray.

The VRU was left with a six-figure debt when the ARU decided to scrap the financially draining competition in December.

The Victorians, who went over budget in their running of the Rebels, sought financial assistance from the ARU, but this was not forthcoming.

This left the VRU in a precarious position as the union is almost totally funded by the ARU.

The option of court action was open to the VRU as part of the dispute resolution process outlined in the ARC participation agreement between the ARU and the states.
    Victoria are understood to have threatened to take the matter to court because previous steps in the dispute process - consultation, mediation and arbitration - had failed.

But Gray was comfortable with the outcome of his talks with O'Neill, who was not directly involved in initial negotiations.

"There is no dispute between us," Gray said. "There was concern some months ago about matters relating to the ARC, but all of those matters have been dealt with.
    "New South Wales, Queensland and ourselves all over-budgeted. In the wash-up there were discussions about who would pay. The other states were resolved. The ARU and the VRU have now come to a agreement and we've put it behind us.

"Options would have been open to us to protect the interests of the VRU, but that's not necessary.
    "We are working with the ARU and we are pretty comfortable with where we got to. We had a productive meeting about positive things we can do to grow the game in Victoria."

O'Neill said the ARU had resolved the issue in the best interests of the game.
    "The ARU has reached agreement on the VRU's financial situuation and absorbed their losses from the ARC and some operational losses," O'Neill said.

"We do that in the best interests of the game. We are looking forward to the Test match in Melbourne against Ireland (on June 14)."

Gray dismissed the speculation by a Sydney newspaper that the ARU would base Australia's next Super rugby team in western Sydney.
    "I saw the story," Gray said.
    "Good luck. That's fine.

"There will be a lot of those sorts of stories, the team will go to western Sydney, the team will go to the Gold Coast. I think Melbourne will stand up to scrutiny.

"AFL, rugby league, soccer and tennis are in Melbourne. Rugby union has to be there. The Victorian Government is building a $250 million rectangular stadium for rugby league, rugby union and soccer.

"Melbourne will be well positioned when the opportunity comes along. Melbourne's opportunity has not diminished as a result of that story.

"John O'Neill has been unqualified, publicly and privately, in his support in past years and I'm happy to stick with that."

Melbourne, which lost to Perth for the hosting rights to Australia's fourth Super rugby team, has always been regarded as an important market for rugby.

While the western suburbs of Sydney are regarded in some ways as a separate market, there is little support for rugby union in the area, which is dominated by rugby league.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    2 questions out of this report??

How the hell did ALL the other 3 unions lose money and overbudget on ARC?

a. They just knew ARU would pay in the end.

How does Victoria get a new stadium and we dont??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    2 questions out of this report??

How does Victoria get a new stadium and we dont??
    Because the Victorian government doesnt drag it's heels in relation to stuff like this

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Because the Victorian government doesnt drag it's heels in relation to stuff like this

i would have said that its because they dont have a spineless minister who's head is so far up the AFL's arse if he spits, its gonna come out of the AFL's front doors.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    A POTENTIAL court battle between the Australian Rugby Union and the Victorian Rugby Union over an outstanding debt has been averted following a successful settlement between the two parties.
    The ARU is understood to have agreed to contribute $400,000 to $500,000 to the VRU to wipe out a debt incurred by the state union's running of Melbourne Rebels in the short-lived Australian Rugby Championship.
    I should bloody well think so, the VRU posted $500,000 of a 3.4 million dollar debt, RugbyWA funded the Perth Spirit itself, leaving the other two unions who were compensated to shoulder the majority of a 2.9 million dollar debt, if the ARU don't pay that, they're just sucking up to NSW and Qld powerbrokers!

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    i would have said that its because they dont have a spineless minister who's head is so far up the AFL's arse if he spits, its gonna come out of the AFL's front doors.

Exactly the opposite jono, they have had a policy for years in their department of sport (or whatever it's called now) of promoting Melbourne as the sporting capital of Australia. They have been working their Asses off for ages now (and spending money like it's going out of fashion) to get a finger in every national sporting pie there is. The state government over there not only takes an interest in starting teams over there, but believes it's also partially their responsibility to ensure said teams are successful! Check out the performance of the various Victorian teams in all the national comps, yes I know they're not champions of everything, but they don't have very many cellar dwellers do they?

C'mon the

vCash
    I think this bail out by the ARU is bad for Melbourne's chances for the next team.

Regarding their stadium - big deal. The Gold Coast could use that argument too, as we are about to open a brand new 27500 seat rectangular stadium. That doesn't mean the Gold Coast will get the next team - it won't.

The new melbourne stadium was built predominantly with A-League in mind, as the Gold Coast one was built with Rugby League in mind.

Victorians have to drop this born to rule mentality about sports. That hubris probably cost them the 4th license.

I think western Sydney would be strong odds to get the 5th team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I should bloody well think so, the VRU posted $500,000 of a 3.4 million dollar debt, RugbyWA funded the Perth Spirit itself, leaving the other two unions who were compensated to shoulder the majority of a 2.9 million dollar debt, if the ARU don't pay that, they're just sucking up to NSW and Qld powerbrokers!

Exactly the opposite jono, they have had a policy for years in their department of sport (or whatever it's called now) of promoting Melbourne as the sporting capital of Australia. They have been working their Asses off for ages now (and spending money like it's going out of fashion) to get a finger in every national sporting pie there is. The state government over there not only takes an interest in starting teams over there, but believes it's also partially their responsibility to ensure said teams are successful! Check out the performance of the various Victorian teams in all the national comps, yes I know they're not champions of everything, but they don't have very many cellar dwellers do they?
    This is true, but not everything they have a crack at is successful. Three examples-

1. Melbourne Strorm RL - a great team, but they are lucky to average 10000 to a home game. Pathetic. That works against the next superrugby team argument.

2. World Swimming Championships 2007 - a lot of free tickets were given away to support sluggish sales - still lost millions of dollars.

3. F1 Grand Prix - crowds are still good but declining (actually the Gold Coast Indy has drawn bigger crowds -just- for the last 2 years). This event is loosing too much money at taxpayer expense.

I think the lesson in all this is that governments need to target and nurture sports events/teams carefully - don't be too greedy. Melbourne does a lot of sports really well, but many others are not nearly as sucessful as Victorians would have you believe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    sorry GIGS but i think it was a referance to that useless waste of space we call Minister of Sport and Recreation John Kobelke

I do agree with the idea that Victoria wants their finger in every sporting pie across the country

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tic View Post

I think the lesson in all this is that governments need to target and nurture sports events/teams carefully - don't be too greedy.
    Mebbe so. But when you're gifted a franchise that has far exceeded expectations by any measure you don't need to be so careful.

Just get on board and help them grow.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    sorry GIGS but i think it was a referance to that useless waste of space we call Minister of Sport and Recreation John Kobelke

I do agree with the idea that Victoria wants their finger in every sporting pie across the country
    Sorry Jargan, I think you misinterpreted my post about the state (as I see it) of the Victorian department of sport as support for Kobelke....If I implied that in ANY WAY WHATSOEVER in my previous post I apologise unreservedly, nothing could be further from the truth, I was seeking to continue the bagging by pointing out the many differences between them and us, I was trying to say gee wouldn't it be nice for the sporting public in WA to have some unilateral support, rather than Kowtowing to the GayFL at every turn........Don't forget 80% of GayFL teams reside in Melbourne, and their minister still actively chases the relocation of just about any sporting event you can name to Melbourne.....It might bring massive issues with it....but the grass sure looks pretty green!

C'mon the

vCash
    At some stage, Victoria will get a team in the expanded S14 competition. They won't get in as an original franchise, becuase the Brumbies will be forced out of the smaller canberra market into Victoria, chasing sponsor and corporate dollars to keep the team playing at a high level. This has been mooted over the past year and will only grow legs if speculation about Western Sydney for the fifth team is correct.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Mebbe so. But when you're gifted a franchise that has far exceeded expectations by any measure you don't need to be so careful.

Just get on board and help them grow.

To support the move into Melbourne you must be assured of constant support. Lets be honest here, Victorians are openly hostile to winter sports that are not AFL. You cannot say that they support rugby because a big crowd turns up for a Bledisloe there - we all know that the crowd is mainly comprised of out of towners. The success of the Storm has also done nothing to lift sad home crowd averages.

It annoys me that people just assume that melbourne deserves a team - it doesn't, and I believe a team there will be a disaster on many fronts. Perth was a no brainer choice for the 4th tean because of strong grass roots support - and it has lived up to expectations so far.

vCash

solid thinking oxley

Quote Originally Posted by oxleymoron View Post
    ....... They won't get in as an original franchise, becuase the Brumbies will be forced out of the smaller canberra market into Victoria, chasing sponsor and corporate dollars t.........
    i had not thought of this but it's probaly a fair synopsis of what would happen. i really dont like the franchise system, relegating the bottom team in aus and letting a new one have a crack seems a fair thing to me... the english football experiance tells us that when a club is about to be relegated they get some of there biggest crowds, sell much more merch have a much higher profile... unsuccesfull sproting franchises are protected and ignored.. remember the crowds the dockers use to draw? you could rev up a chainsaw and not hurt anyone.. on the other hand if the dockers were in danger of relegation the supporters would have come out of the wood work to cheer.

and yes yes.. i know we all hate fair weather suporters and all that, but they provide gate income and increase the sponsorship draw. so we should hugg them all anyway..

but what oxley says is fair reasoning in my view.

cheers auss...
    fabricarti diem punc