Thread: Expanding not so easy

vCash

Expanding not so easy

Expanding not so easy
    By Rebecca Wilson Expanding not so easy | The Daily Telegraph

March 15, 2008 12:00am

NRL boss David Gallop mentioned in dispatches recently that he would love to see a rugby league team in Wellington, New Zealand and another in Perth.

AFL chief Andrew Demetriou remains determined to see two more teams - one in Western Sydney and another on the Gold Coast.

And this week, rugby union boss John O'Neill joined the expansionists by claiming that a Super 14 team in Japan was exactly what rugby needed at this stage of its history.

Of course, they say no team will fall off the other end while all of this brave new era takes shape.

Demetriou is arrogant enough to believe Australia can sustain an 18-team competition without any clubs falling by the wayside. Gallop is the same - no team in the cluttered Sydney market would suffer if new franchises were introduced to development markets.

But each of these ego-driven leaders should take a long, hard look at the facts before any of these new clubs become a reality.

Football clubs rely heavily on three major revenue streams for their livelihood - sponsors, television rights and bums on seats.

One of the greatest clubs in the NRL, the St George Illawarra Dragons, have admitted they are a financial basket case. They can barely afford to pay their players - and that's with an injection of funds from their leagues club.

The Dragons rarely fill a stadium. Like so many of their Sydney cousins, the week-to-week battle to keep the club alive is getting tougher. As recession bites, it will become even tougher.

Peter Holmes a Court and Russell Crowe have achieved saturation media coverage with their South Sydney experiment.

The pair will tell anyone who listens it is working a treat. The bottom line is that Souths can't fill a stadium either and have been forced to move 40km from their home base to the former Olympic Stadium because of financial incentives offered by stadium management.

The place is running at a loss and no amount of glossy magazine shots featuring Hollywood stars or Armani-clad players is going to change the bottom line.

The AFL has too many clubs in Melbourne. While we hear all day about the sponsorship wonder that is Collingwood, Demetriou doesn't tell us too much about the financial disaster that surrounds the Western Bulldogs, Hawthorn and Richmond.

These clubs are stuffed. Even the Swans - the one AFL team in Australia's biggest city - rarely achieve a sellout. QBE boss and Swans tragic Graeme Pash said you don't sponsor footy clubs to turn a big profit. You do it for love or you don't do it at all.

Demetriou seems determined to put a second team into Sydney. We have read a mountain of propaganda recently about the AFL nurseries that are burgeoning in the western suburbs of Sydney.

A growing number of junior players won't guarantee success in Australia's toughest football market. Just ask the Sydney Kings basketball team - threatened with extinction in a city that has more junior basketballers than league and union players put together.

Big numbers of juniors do not translate to big sponsor dollars. The Gold Coast has always had a strong junior base. But the only reason the Gold Coast Titans look viable is that the area is now Australia's fastest-growing and one of the wealthiest regions in the country.

Demetriou, Gallop and O'Neill argue that expanding their competitions will make the television pie a lot bigger. But even TV rights can't continue to go up in an economic climate that is a lot less attractive than a decade ago.

John O'Neill is eyeing off Japan for a Super 14 franchise. He has a different problem from Demetriou and Gallop. There is no doubt Japan is a lucrative market because of its huge population and the fact it is the home of many big corporations.

But not many Japanese really like rugby. They have a small club competition manned almost entirely by foreigners at the end of their playing careers.

It is hardly a thriving rugby nursery. It is most definitely not a place many players fancy as a rugby destination.

O'Neill's rather whimsical view of Japan is similar to former league boss John Ribot, who actually advertised in Sydney newspapers for Cantonese commentators during his tenure at the now- defunct Super League.

Naturally enough, he received no replies and the sport has never been played in China.

Union, league and AFL must go through a process of consolidation in the next couple of years. Football is going to suffer in a tough economic climate and footy bosses need to batten down the hatches in preparation.

Perhaps Gallop, Demetriou and co. could have a look at the fortunes of clubs in their biggest markets - Sydney and Melbourne - before they embark on more nonsense in new places.

They will both find more than one basket case that may not make it beyond the next couple of seasons.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I would say that 125 000 Japanese rugby players qualifies as a pretty decent nursery.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beige View Post
    I would say that 125 000 Japanese rugby players qualifies as a pretty decent nursery.
    I think this was more of a dig at AFL and League, she wouldn't have bothered with Japan me thinks, just noticed that Sumo's don't play props therefore the cross section of Japanese players must be small...btw. did she see the Japanese fans at the World Cup, I mean, Japan is a way away from France, I don't see mungoes or bogan ballers travelling half way around the world to watch thier team play in a World Cup....well, I suppose they would if other nations (northern england - league noted) played the sport...

vCash
    The Japanese are fanatical about just about any sport that they play at an international level! They don't care what it is!

C'mon the

vCash
    I tend to think a Japanese team would work quite well, in the first couple of years they might not have the professionalism to match the other teams, and therefore should be allowed a significant level of imports.

But i think after around 2-3 years in the competition the Japanese could have a team made up mainly of Japanese players and be competitive with the rest of the S14.

I have heard that becoming a professional sports player isnt something which is highly supported in japanese culture. So im not sure if this would play a big part in the formation of a club, also i wonder how much money Japanese sponsors would be willing to throw at the S14.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    I have heard that becoming a professional sports player isnt something which is highly supported in japanese culture. So im not sure if this would play a big part in the formation of a club, also i wonder how much money Japanese sponsors would be willing to throw at the S14.

That would be surprising if true..the sumo wrestlers are, I presume, professional and much revered, also the professional baseball players both local and especially those in the US are cult heroes in Japan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KenyaQuin View Post
    That would be surprising if true..the sumo wrestlers are, I presume, professional and much revered, also the professional baseball players both local and especially those in the US are cult heroes in Japan.
    i dont know, i remember being told it and i always thought it was a bit suprising.

vCash
    I don't imagine the cultural thing is a huge factor - look at the professional baseball, soccer and fighting (sumo, mma, k-1) leagues there. Rugby already has the players but, apart from the highly paid foreigners, most of the players in the Japanese Top League aren't full-time professionals (and the results are plain to see in the national team's results). Professionalising the game is key.

The issue of sponsorship is interesting. The money exists in Japanese rugby because the corporations own the clubs. However the JRFU would own a S14 franchise, so they would have to find a willing sponsor to join the party. This ties in with a second issue in that the S14 rights are held by pay-tv, which may as well be non-existent in Japan. If they stay on pay-tv, hardly anyone will watch the games and the sponsorship opportunities will be severely limited. Getting a terrestrial tv station to buy the rights is important.

vCash
    true, in reference to the pay-tv, well im not exactly sure what the market is like in Japan, but im sure the S14 will be sold to the highest bidder, whether that is pay-tv or FTA i dont know, but it doesnt necessarily have to be pay-tv.

vCash
    true, in reference to the pay-tv, well im not exactly sure what the market is like in Japan, but im sure the S14 will be sold to the highest bidder, whether that is pay-tv or FTA i dont know, but it doesnt necessarily have to be pay-tv.
    Pay-tv's market share over there is tiny, even compared to Australia. On the other hand, terrestrial tv is a true king-maker (as an example, the highest selling album in Japanese history achieved the feat largely because its title track featured on a 1999 soap opera).

My understanding is that News Corp pays SANZAR for the rights to S14 but they then on-sell the rights to other stations (for example, Super Sport in South Africa), so it is open for a terrestrial tv station to buy them if the price is right.

Apprentice
    vCash
    They have a small club competition manned almost entirely by foreigners at the end of their playing careers.
    Who is this bird? The Jap league has a strict limit on round eyes... no more than three in the XV at a time.

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    I guess she just didn't do all her homework Ben.
    The point of the article is still valid. In all commerical enterprises you have to keep looking to 'grow your brand'. Its a matter of how, when and where.
    The AFL is simply landlocked - they will never have an overseas based team so Australian regions with lots of people is their target.
    the NRL have an international flavoured brand, so they are slightly more marketable.
    The ARU, and SANZAR, IS an international brand. All the income stream is generated by internationals, either Tests, Tours or S14. We have a much better chance of capitalising on the Asian interest in sport than any of the others. We just can't seem to get the right formula for an 'Australia only' competition - but we live in hope.
    The key thing is that TV rights and Naming Sponsors are the biggest dollar source. We need to find ways to make them grow AND spread them further, thats the tough one.

Apprentice
    vCash
    they will never have an overseas based team so Australian regions with lots of people is their target.
    Mate I would not bet against a Kiwi side one day.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Cousins View Post
    Mate I would not bet against a Kiwi side one day.
    It's one thing making a side, it is another thing making it so it isn't just a Mickey Mouse side....