Thread: Experimental laws appear doomed

vCash

Experimental laws appear doomed

Experimental laws appear doomed
    By Iain Payten Experimental laws appear doomed | The Daily Telegraph

March 20, 2008 12:00am

THE long-term future of the Experimental Law Variations appears all-but-doomed, with England's top rugby official conceding northern hemisphere supremos believe there is "nothing wrong with the game".

The suspicions of anti-ELV sentiment in the north was confirmed by Rugby Football Union chief executive Francis Baron, who said his Six Nations counterparts are "nervous" about the impact of the ELVs and unable to see an avenue to trial them in Europe.

The Six Nations bosses meet next week to decide on a common approach to the ELVs, and if unified in their opposition, could almost kill off any hope of the fast-paced rules being in Test rugby this year - or beyond to the 2011 World Cup.

"I was at the international CEOs conference in Hong Kong the other week, and it was interesting talking to my colleagues at that meeting," Baron told The Daily Telegraph from London yesterday.

"I think it is fair to say there is a stronger feeling in the north that there is nothing fundamental wrong with the game, and there is a nervousness about trying to change too many things at once.

"That is a slightly different view to the southern hemisphere, who feel that change is required and they want to press on and get it implemented.

"There is concern about some of the ELVs as a matter of principle, there is concern they could change the shape and nature of the game."

With rugby in rude health in Europe on the back of the recently completed Six Nations tournament, and booming club competitions, Baron said there was difficulty in finding a slot to trial the ELVs.

"I think everybody is naturally nervous about going down a route until you have had a season's worth of trial," Baron said.

"In the north it's different to the Super 14 because the Heineken (European) Cup and the internationals break up the club season. All our competitions are running in the same window, so you can't isolate one competition and say 'that competition is going to trial ELVs'. That's the difficulty we have in the north, which the south doesn't have."

If the Six Nations demur on adopting the ELVs in the north, only an IRB edict for all northern hemisphere rugby to begin trials in September in club football would keep the law changes alive.

Beginning trials the following year would be too close to the 2011 World Cup.

SANZAR are also waiting on the northern response to see whether they will play the Tri-Nations under ELVs. Baron said a blanket IRB edict for September trials "would be very difficult to implement".

"I guess we are all a bit nervous we are beginning to run out of time to complete that program before the World Cup in New Zealand in 2011," Baron said.

Baron also poured cold water on ARU boss John O'Neill's plan for the Wallabies to play a Grand Slam tour in 2009.

O'Neill revealed this week he was hoping to persuade England to squeeze an extra Test into their November, three-match window.

"It is a very difficult year for us that year because it is a British Lions tour year," Baron said.

"We haven't had a great chance to discuss it but my guess is there isn't a lot of possibility because it is a Lions year and the season starts late that year because they don't finish the tour until mid-July."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    There is a topic on one of the other Rugby Forums I frequent saying that perhaps this was the worst Six Nations ever....despite whether it is true or not that sentiment alone would think would cause the NH to sit back and think maybe they should give change a go?

Last edited by BLR; 20-03-08 at 10:18.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    ..saying that perhaps this was the word Six Nations ever....
    I assume "Word" as in best.

Regardless of whether this was the best ever, what we have is a situation in the NH where the game is looking quite healthy and crowd numbers are on a high more so in England and France (don't know what the stats are for the rest). As an example, Toulouse play Stade Français this weekend in a regular T14 (French comp) match in front of a sold out 80000 Stade de France. No reason for the myopic NH administrators to change "their" game, the products doing fine over there.

Over here south of the equator, things are a little different. External pressures dictate that we look at ways of improving the product which we hope will in the short and long term ignite the game and bring the crowds back and by extension bring in the big money. Crowd numbers are not looking too flash, and our broadcasting rights revenue looks to head south as well if we don't act.

Unfortunately for us, the Home Nations are in control off the field. We march to their tune and if they say no then no it is and the status quo remains.

vCash
    The English Premiership has doubled its revenue in the last 18 months and KenyaQuin mentioned the 80 000 sell out in St Denis this weekend.

Not the same urgency as there is down here... Not that I necessarily agree with them mind you...

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    I suspect he meant "worst"

Just happy to be here

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The EnForcer View Post
    I suspect he meant "worst"
    Indeed, I edited the post to say as much...

vCash
    "It was the best of times, it was the blurst of times?! Stupid monkey!"

(Sorry, it just reminded me of The Simpsons )

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    Indeed, I edited the post to say as much...
    Ah..I thought you meant "Word" (old school rap/hip hop) as in the good stuff or the "goods" or for the more modern "fully sick". Either way, word or worst, my comment stands. Now