Thread: D-Day looms for hard decisions

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

D-Day looms for hard decisions

By Wayne Smith
    March 24, 2008
    INEXORABLY, Australian rugby is closing on the day when some tough and extremely painful decisions will have to be taken.
    It may be that Waratahs flanker Rocky Elsom nudges the game closer to Decision Day if he announces this week he plans to follow NSW team-mate Dan Vickerman to the northern hemisphere for a season or two before possibly returning for a crack at another World Cup in 2011.

Former Test prop Dan Crowley's reaction to that scenario ("black ban them for life") is understandable and almost universal but also utterly unworkable. Lashing out at professional rugby players for taking advantage of professional opportunities and better pay is like backchatting the referee when he makes a muddleheaded decision.

Better to take a leaf from Western Force's book after Mark Lawrence's brain explosion in disallowing Scott Staniforth's legitimate try against the Highlanders on Saturday. Play it cool and eventually things will level out.

The question is how can Australia - and New Zealand too, because it is in the same situation - level out the playing field when British and French rugby is awash with money, more money than the ARU and NZRU are capable of matching, let alone their constituent unions?

How can the Waratahs fight off Northampton's moneybags owner Keith Barwell, if, as is rumoured, he has set his sights on Elsom to consolidate the club in the premiership after fighting its way back into the top division.

Technically speaking, the Saints aren't there yet, but Barwell was moved to tell The Guardian on the weekend that "even the England cricket team couldn't muck it up from here".

Just say, for instance, the Brumbies had wanted one last season out of George Gregan. What hope would they have had going up against the mega-euros of comic strip syndicator Mourad Boudjellal, who has assembled a virtual Who's Who of rugby greats at Toulon for no other purpose but to indulge his whim of having a side in the French first division?

How does Australia fight off Bath's long-time owner Andrew Brownsword, a man reputedly so frugal he doesn't carry a mobile phone, which helps explain how he amassed $1.2billion, a tidy sum to have up your sleeve if you want to lash out on quality rugby players?

The temptation is to suggest Australia should fight fire with fire. Unfortunately there's just not the same critical mass of rugby-mad billionaires in this country that there is in England and France. But while individual ownership might not be a realistic option, it may be there is scope for joint ventures or consortiums to come in, trailing their money behind them.

It's not a thought rugby administrators at any level would find attractive because it inevitably would mean a surrender of some if not most of their authority and control. New Zealand officials are not any more enamoured of the idea either, but at least they are prepared to entertain a discussion of it at the national rugby summit this week in Wellington on where the game is heading and how it's going to find the money to get there.

There is no doubt that private ownership of Australian professional rugby teams would be fraught with danger. England foolishly went down this route when the game went professional in 1996 and the RFU soon found itself in a situation where the tail was wagging the dog, with the clubs dictating terms to the national body. And when the RFU tried to buy back the farm, it found that it had been subdivided into so many private fiefdoms that the task was impossible.

But the flip side is that British rugby is booming, in stark contrast to Australia where finances are so stretched that it simply couldn't find the coin to retain Vickerman and, quite possibly, Elsom. And yes, that's not forgetting Vickerman's ostensible lifestyle reasons for leaving.

But had the ARU shown him some love - and that can take many forms, but money sure is one of them in a professional game -- then he surely would have thought more seriously about playing out his career in a sky blue jersey.

The trick would be in determining how much control to hand over. Too little and there would be no incentive for entrepreneurs to come on board. Too much and rugby could end up in the sort of mess NBL giants the Brisbane Bullets found themselves in when owner Eddie Groves fell on hard financial times recently.

And any move in this direction would open up the question of a salary cap because there would need to be some constraint on how much clubs spent on players and coaches other than the length of the owner's arms and the depth of his pockets.

Yet it would be interesting to see how hard-nosed corporate heavyweights might approach the business of rugby. There is no question that they would expect, indeed demand, results a lot faster than, say, the Queensland Reds have delivered them.

Half a decade has slipped by since Queensland last fielded a side that gave its "stockholders" any return on their emotional investment and that's not the sort of time scale most businessmen find acceptable.

How long would it be, perchance, before a sign appeared at Ballymore similar to one recently erected at Northampton by a Barwell-appointed coach: "Holiday Camp Closed?"

Australia doesn't want to have to buy back the farm. But it can't afford to lose all its cattle either.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I'm against private ownership!

It reduces even further the traditions of rugby and separates the provinces from the unions......at some level today, the Western Force is 'our' team, the Force players are paid (in part) with money from our RugbyWA membership fees, and to a certain extent there is loyalty to the province.....Once private ownership enters and teams become franchises, the loyalty of players is eroded. Check out the NFL in America, most of the top players will only sign one year contracts these days, and end up flitting from team to team as free agents who are available for any cashed up owner to use to buy a superbowl ring. Look at the past five or so years, several players have played in several superbowls for different teams.......I don't like it!

C'mon the

vCash
    Australia doesn't want to have to buy back the farm. But it can't afford to lose all its cattle either.
    I'm not going anywhere.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Can't see it happening, as it already has - the entire S14 competition has already been sold to Fox. If they privatised the teams, I'd have thought it would be difficult to deny the owners a share of the television revenue, defeating the whole purpose. So, if they were going to sell anything, it would have to be the next level down or another competition that ran post-S14. So, they either privatise the Sydney clubs as a test run, or reinstate the ARC and allow the states sell the teams.

vCash
    That secon option sounds interesting Andy, but do you think it'd generate any revenue at all without compromising the S14......we'd find (if it actually worked) that players would be ditching S14 to play ARC for the money.....that'd defeat the entire purpose of the comp!

Funny, in one paragraph, I appear to have changed my mind.....Don't mind me, I'll just ramble on my own over here!

C'mon the

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    That secon option sounds interesting Andy, but do you think it'd generate any revenue at all without compromising the S14......we'd find (if it actually worked) that players would be ditching S14 to play ARC for the money.....that'd defeat the entire purpose of the comp!

Funny, in one paragraph, I appear to have changed my mind.....Don't mind me, I'll just ramble on my own over here!
    sunday session leftovers?

Senior Player Contributor gustafsl's Avatar
    vCash
    Maybe this shows the decline in desire to play for ones country. The only thing keeping a lot of the players in Super 14 is the chance to play for Wallabies or All Blacks. But it seems the only thing (at international level) that matters is the World Cup. See France's tour to NZ or Wales' tour to AUS last year. Both brought sub-par teams and it is stuff like this that is making test rugby a joke, if the players union doesn't care about ordinary test matchs, how can they expect the players to? So players like McAllister and Vickerman have decided that the money is more important than playing for their country during the next two years. They will come back for the World Cup.

Then you have the limited opportunity to play for the country. In a busy year the Wallabies might play like 15 times. And there is only one full back spot. So guys like Hewat end up going for the money option. Hewat was a bit older and the World Cup was probably his last chance to get in, but I think we will start to see other, younger players going overseas if they don't get in the team early. Imagine if Pocock gets picked for the #7 this year, he is only 19, and will be around for 10+ years. What would you do if you were a 24 year old #7? You can take the chance that Pocock doesn't turn out that great...and maybe you get a few games with the Wallabies or you could go make the big bucks in Europe for the rest of your career.

Overall, I think the recent trend might not affect the top level team too much, unless we start losing a lot of players between World Cups. But I think we will end up with a depth problem and if there are any injuries, there will be no top level players to step in.

vCash
    If it has to change, i have two possible ideas of how it could.

Option 1
    ive always thought part ownership might be a realistic option. For example NSWRU sell 49% of the Tahs to a private owner, this means NSWRU gets a cash injection from the sale and it will also lower there exposure for when the Tahs lose money.

Yet, for things like this to happen, the whole structure of the way the State unions and the ARU pay there players and distributes the money would have to change. Instead of topping up contracts the ARU might have to introduce a salary cap instead.

Option 2
    It could also be possible to restructure the whole Australian rugby scene, with the Reds, Brumbies, Force and Tahs becoming independant of there state unions, and working directly under the ARU as franchises.

It would be similar to what the AFL have, where the AFL controls the professional game, and distributes funds to the state unions for the development of the grass roots game.

Obviously for either of these to happen, it would take a massive restucturing, many state unions would be furious at the idea of losing control of there professional teams, and i would be worried about the ARU taking so much control in there present state.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Option 3. Exile wins a bazillion dollars in the lottery And buys the Western Force.

I don't know about you guys - but I like the sound of that.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    How about Exile wins a bazillion dollars in the lottery, and donates 1/4 of it to the ARU, sharing the rest between the other three provinces (Qld, ACT and WA) That would save ALL of Australian rugby and therefore help to build a strong Wallabies team. (Gotta think of the international game too Ex)

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    How about Exile wins a bazillion dollars in the lottery, and donates 1/4 of it to the ARU, sharing the rest between the other three provinces (Qld, ACT and WA) That would save ALL of Australian rugby and therefore help to build a strong Wallabies team. (Gotta think of the international game too Ex)
    Boooo!

All of it to the Force and we will become the international game...you must be extra tired tonight?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    Boooo!

All of it to the Force and we will become the international game...you must be extra tired tonight?
    Not really, I just want to be the best out of a competitive bunch!

I'd ba far happier to be the best Aussie team out of Four Aussie teams in the top four than be the best team in the Super 14 by a country mile with the rest of the Aussie teams at the bottom of the table!

Team loyalty comes first.....national loyalty still exits though, I even like Queenslanders once they get rid of the crap red jersey and replace it with Wallaby Gold!

C'mon the

vCash
    what Australian Rugby needs is some rich Sheik from Dubai to come over and spend $100million on the game, i could live with that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    what Australian Rugby needs is some rich Sheik from Dubai to come over and spend $100million on the game, i could live with that.
    Well the Yanks in charge of Liverpool refuse to sell the club to DIC, it seems they are offering 400 millions pounds at the moment.....that's $874 million AUD.....have the Force contacted them yet?