Thread: Waugh incensed by dubious refereeing

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash

Waugh incensed by dubious refereeing

hehehehe, when things are not going your way blaming somebody else is the real mature way to handle it.....I thought Waugh was better than that.....Not surprised that SMH produced the piece though....complete tossers!

Waugh incensed by dubious refereeing
    Rupert Guinness | March 24, 2008

WARATAHS captain Phil Waugh has issued his second broadside on the standard of refereeing in the Super 14, questioning whether officials are taking the physicality out of the game.

Waugh was incensed with South African referee Craig Joubert after the Waratahs lost 34-7 to the Crusaders on Friday night, especially with his penalty against Dan Vickerman in the 2nd minute.

Vickerman was pinged for obstructing Crusaders jumper Ali Williams in a line-out inside NSW's 22 - but replays showed that the Wallabies second-rower did not block Williams. The subsequent Dan Carter penalty gave the Crusaders a 3-0 lead.

On the other hand, the Crusaders were lucky to escape being penalised on several occasions. In the 39th minute Richie McCaw got away with a decoy run that clearly blocked Waratahs No.13 Ben Jacobs, and to compound that error, Joubert penalised Lote Tuqiri for tackling the Crusaders skipper from the wrong side one phase later. Another Carter penalty made it 6-0 to the home side.

"I felt like we weren't getting too many breaks from the referee, particularly in the first half," Waugh said. "It just felt like we were getting absolutely hammered. To go down 6-0, [after] a couple of penalties which I didn't think were justifiable …

"Vickerman [penalised for] attacking the guy in the air - that was pathetic. I looked at it on the screen. The player [Williams] didn't even go to the deck. And then [Joubert] penalises us for taking him out.

"There are going to be close calls and it is a contact sport and blokes are going to get hit and things like that. But I am sure everyone saw that and would agree with me."

Waugh previously vented his frustration about refereeing decisions after NSW's 20-17 loss to the Chiefs in Hamilton in round two.

In that game, South African referee Marius Jonker failed to call on the television match official to review whether NSW breakaway Rocky Elsom had held up Sitiveni Sivivatu over the line. The try to the All Blacks winger gave the Chiefs a 10-0 lead.

Waugh believes referees are failing to understand the ramifications of their calls and he was particularly upset with the penalty against Vickerman. "To go three points down, softly like that in a game … the refs don't understand how critical those sort of calls are in the context of the game. It's disappointing they don't understand that," Waugh said.

"It wasn't dangerous play. He [Williams] didn't go to the ground. [But] there is three points on the scoreboard, a minute and a half into the game.

"I don't know what it is with the refs. But it seems like we are getting a little bit of the raw end of the deal. Maybe we should stop being so friendly to them in the hotel foyer and things like that."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Just happy to be here

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Maybe they would be better suited to doing what the did on Saturday. Suck it up....get back into the game and score again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The EnForcer View Post
    hehehehe, when things are not going your way blaming somebody else is the real mature way to handle it.....I thought Waugh was better than that.
    Where the hell did you get that stupid idea, Phil Waugh has been the most petulant ill-mannered spoilt brat since....since......I just can't think of anybody worse!

Tell you what Philly boy, we'll assume that you're not talking absolute shit (because I can't be bothered tracking down video of the incidents to check) and say those TWO penalties of the four penalties more that the Crusaders recieved were bad calls, How's about we take 6 points off the 34 they got, that makes them 28!

Let's also assume that there were a couple of penalties within kicking range that WEREN'T called for you, so Kurtley would kick (well Kurtley would kick none of them, but since we're in the realms of fantasy already) 6 points, making you guys 15........That's 28 - 15 you still don't get a bonus point

prat!

C'mon the

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Waugh believes referees are failing to understand the ramifications of their calls and he was particularly upset with the penalty against Vickerman. "To go three points down, softly like that in a game … the refs don't understand how critical those sort of calls are in the context of the game. It's disappointing they don't understand that,"

It made the score 3-0, FFS. Saying that that one call was critical in the context of the game implies that, from that point on, the Waratahs were scrambling, playing catch-up or dropped their bundle!

Champion
    vCash
    While it wouldn't have made any difference to the Tah"s result Waugh is right, some of the reffing has been bad especially from the Saffa ref's. The ref's descision not to award Scott Staniforth a try on Saturday is a case in point.

vCash
    Bad reffing yes, two kicked penalties destroying a game and causing a 17 point drubbing? I think not!

C'mon the

vCash
    Let's face it you are not going to get referees to blow his whistle the way you want him to blow by arguing with him, so the only way out is to get him on your side. The only way to do this is to be respectful against him even if you are 100% sure that he is an total idiot.

Now this the theory

Just remember how many 50/50 decisions you have in one game, now let us say you can get the Ref to blow his whistle in your favour 70% of the time just because your team never gave him any shit. Well you will win most tight games just because of averages.

So we have a rule with our juniors of never but never to give the Ref shit, and if you do so you will miss a match, and it works!!!