Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Six from 14 say Brumbies

vCash

Six from 14 say Brumbies

Six from 14 say Brumbies - Rugby - Fox Sports

Six from 14 say Brumbies

By Jim Morton

March 24, 2008 THE Brumbies are pushing for a six-team finals series from next season as a "middle-ground" preliminary move towards Super rugby expansion.

Brumbies chief executive Andrew Fagan revealed the Australian Rugby Union was supportive of their proposal for two more teams being rewarded with play-off places.

The Super 14's top-four finals system makes the world's biggest provincial competition the most cut-throat tournament of any professional sport involving teams from Australia.

Whereas the AFL and NRL reward half of their 16 teams with an eight-team finals cut-off, and the NBL are even more generous with eight in their 13-club league, the current Super 14 structure sees 28 per cent of teams given a play-off position.

A model hasn't been locked in as part of the proposal, blocked last year due to the tight broadcast schedule, but Fagan would prefer to see all six teams play off on the first week of finals.

That would see the two lowest-ranked losers knocked out and the rest seeded to play off 1 v 4 and 2 v 3, as the current system works.

ARU chief executive John O'Neill is keen to expand the Super 14 season for more product when the broadcast deal comes up for negotiation from next year.

He also wants a six-team finals format as part of a 22-week competition, which should allow at least three more home-games for the each team.

New Zealand and South African reactions to O'Neill's revitalisation plans have been cool to say the least but Fagan believes there should be more support for just one extra week added to the Super rugby calendar for 2009.

Even if O'Neill wins the day with his plans, an expanded Super rugby competition wouldn't kick-off until 2010 or more likely 2011.

“I know that John O'Neill from the ARU perspective is talking to SANZAR about all those possibilities at the moment with a particular push of expanding the Super 14 competition overall,” Fagan said.

“But if that's going to become a 2010 or 2011 potential start point, there's some things we should do in the mean time to freshen up the competition and ensure we can maintain some interest and it would only add an extra week in the calender which we should manage.

“And in the event that's not on the cards a middle-ground of expanding (for 2009) is a six-team finals series.”

The Brumbies' frustrating record over the past two seasons, where they have finished fifth and sixth and have both times secured more wins than teams in the top four, is only part of their willingness to force a change.

The short competition and it's intensity can make for skewed results, particularly when travel to and from South Africa and New Zealand is factored in.

A top-six would also generate extra interest for the middle-of-the-road teams, as it is in the AFL and NRL, as well as more gate and broadcast revenue.

“A top six in a 14-team competition is appropriate,” Fagan said. “It would allow an evening out of some factors that can influence such a short competition.

“I think you would concede that any of those top six teams could win the competition. It would allow another week of finals football to maintain interest and you could arguably see finals in Australia, South Africa and New Zealand on the same weekend.”

AAP

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Rubbish!!! Keep it at 4 teams and therefore competitive rather than rewarding mid-table mediocrity!!!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    Desperation .....

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    As mush as it pains me to say it, seeing as the Brumbies have come 5th four times I think they need to leave it as a top 4.

Adore this life
    There is no guarantee
    Could end by tomorrow

vCash
    Why not just make it 14 teams in the finals......then the 'Tahs & Reds can enjoy finals rugby.....!!!!!!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

Player
    vCash
    jedi i think you should check your maths.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sloppy View Post
    Tahs + Reds = LOSERS!!!!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    Mid table does not neccessarily mean number 7 on the ladder....simply not in the top four and not in the bottom few...there is no maths needed....unless you want to call 6th on the table 'upper-middle'....

vCash
    OK then let's do the maths

Nothing to see here!

Last edited by GIGS20; 24-03-08 at 21:05. Reason: I was wrong so I got rid of it!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I guess your maths was wrong there sloppy, I can't see any way in which the 'Tahs or Reds could miss the finals under Jedi's system. I guess knowing how much they suck they could creatively find a way, but I'm not sure how that would look, possibly you could explain it to me!
    Are you sure he doesn't mean Jedi's previous post about 6th place being mid table, in a 14 team competition.....

vCash
    Oh oops Sorry Sloppy!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thequeerone View Post
    Desperation .....
    Reeks a bit of it, doesn't it

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Striving for mediocrity

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Champion
    vCash
    dry your eyes you Canberra Princesses, top four since the start of super rugby, and it'll stay like that, one team i hope doesn't change the thinking !!

vCash
    The only realistic way to have a 6 team finals series is for 3 & 4 to have home qualifiers against 5 & 6 where 3 & 4 are on a hiding to nothing. All for the right to play an away semi against 1 or 2 whov'e had a week off to get over niggling injuries.
    No thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast