Thread: Moore picked for size

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Moore picked for size

Wayne Smith | March 26, 2008

WORLD CUP hooker Stephen Moore has been recalled to the Reds' starting side for Sunday's match with the unbeaten Sharks in Durban but not because Queensland is desperately fighting to retain his services.

All indications are that Moore will follow the now well-beaten path from Brisbane to Perth to join the Western Force at the end of this season.

Reds coach Phil Mooney unashamedly had hoped to take full advantage of Queensland's three-match tour of South Africa to talk the 25-year-old Test player around but he conceded yesterday he had not been able to get an answer out of Moore.

Mooney insisted the selection had been made purely on rugby grounds and specifically with the Sharks in mind.

"In all honesty, if it means he's got to be in the starting side to want to play for Queensland, then something's badly wrong," Mooney said. "We've selected him because he's the bigger hooker (112kg to Sean Hardman's 105kg) and the Sharks are a very big, aggressive side."

Mooney also recalled his battle-scarred warhorse David Croft at openside flanker for the job of taking down French five-eighth Frederic Michalak.

The Reds coach also showed patience by sticking with Quade Cooper at five-eighth.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...012430,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Sounds interesting.... McIsaac has been great for the Force but he is getting on and the reality is that if he wants to keep playing rugby after his contract runs out (in 2009 I think) he'll probably go to Europe for the old retirement package. Bring on Moore and Holmes battling for a starting jersey!

vCash
    What a bloody sook. He played like crap in earlier games and obviously resents Mooney keeping him honest. If this attitude prevails, I think he may have a very short career in Australian rugby.

Mooney is doing the right thing by benching some of these so called "big names".

vCash
    I'm leaning a bit more on Tic's side here...I'm not so sure Moore is worth a whole stack to us. I'd be putting him in a battle with Holmesey to see who's the starting Hooker for 2010 (assuming Tai is playing in 2009) If Tai's contract runs out the end of this year, and he goes, I'd put Holmesey in first place and make Moore unseat him. Luke has been great for the since Canno retired, and I can't see any good reason not to assume he would continue as long as we show just a little bit of faith in him!

If Morre is really the legend they think he is, he'll win the start in about four weeks!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tic View Post
    What a bloody sook. He played like crap in earlier games and obviously resents Mooney keeping him honest. If this attitude prevails, I think he may have a very short career in Australian rugby.

Mooney is doing the right thing by benching some of these so called "big names".
    If a bloke wants more game time why stop him?

QLD have two fairly decent hookers, there is no 'junior' hooker like us at the Force have, so why wouldn't Moore search for greener pastures?

vCash
    He can't just demand to start - he has to earn it! That attitude has been part of the problem at the Reds in recent years, and I for one, am delighted to see Phil Mooney address this issue. It is essential in order to get the Reds back to being a rugby powerhouse.

There was a moment in the Reds second round match against the Hurricanes in Wellington that is instructive. Qld were playing very strongly in that match and had led it until about mid second half when the Canes got their noses in front. At that time Qld fought hard and had excellent field position and momentum (and numbers) about 5 metres out from the line. Moore took the ball into a maul and lazily surrendered possession - the result - a Hurricanes try against play, down the other end.

Although the Reds got another try after that, the damage had been done. That game was a genuine 4 pointer for the Reds, but Moore's ball security cost us.

Now, I don't want to lay all the blame at his feet, but it was play like this that should cause Moore to be a bit reflective. He, like anyone else, needs to improve these things in order to start a match. Demanding his position in the team is a real problem, as Phil Mooney has said.

Last edited by tic; 26-03-08 at 09:14.

vCash
    I dont think he will come to Perth. I think that if he wants more game time he wouldn't come to Perth but a different club on the East Coast

vCash
    apparently moores manager has been talking to the force for a couple of months now.... i agree give luke holmes first crack IF taipan leaves

vCash
    We need someone to play that third hooker role, if not now, in the future, Moore would be an option, but is he the best option? Tai will not play the game forever and we need a second hooker capable of filling the gap he will leave! simple as that!

C'mon the

vCash
    Following Sekope Kefu move across the tasman you may see fellow NZ under 21 hooker and member of the Chiefs wider training group Vern Kamo follow his mate, but where to...

Brother Gallagher I hear you

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    QLD have two fairly decent hookers, there is no 'junior' hooker like us at the Force have, so why wouldn't Moore search for greener pastures?
    Then QLD will be in the exact some position the Force is now, Hardman is 30 and doesnt have many years left in him.

Moore is just being a sook, some players choose to aim higher after they get dropped, other players take it as a insult and never make it back.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    Then QLD will be in the exact some position the Force is now, Hardman is 30 and doesnt have many years left in him.

Moore is just being a sook, some players choose to aim higher after they get dropped, other players take it as a insult and never make it back.
    I suppose Moore just listens too much to the hype...

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I was under an understanding that last year the Reds re-signed Moore and (greg) Holmes in a double deal and that the Force couldn't table a better offer for Moore when Canno retired even though I heard he would have taken it. I also thought he agreed to a year with the Reds so long as he got more of a run (less being Hardman's understudy) and admittedly he hasn't been playing that well but who knows.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I was under an understanding that last year the Reds re-signed Moore and (greg) Holmes in a double deal and that the Force couldn't table a better offer for Moore when Canno retired even though I heard he would have taken it. I also thought he agreed to a year with the Reds so long as he got more of a run (less being Hardman's understudy) and admittedly he hasn't been playing that well but who knows.
    Holmes and Moore both signed 2 year deals, though they both had 1 year options in there deals where they could switch to a different S14 team(mostly due to the Reds instability in 2007). Holmes has agreed to stay for next year, though Moore still hasnt decided.

I dont know the finer details of there contracts, im sure that would have being kept private, so any speculation on what was is in them is exactly that.

When Mooney took over as coach, he was told he could choose who he wanted without worrying about how much previous Reds coaches spent luring them there. So regardless of what is in Moore's contract, i guess Mooney is picking players who he thinks is better for the team.