Thread: Force Squad to Face Stormers at Home

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Force Squad to Face Stormers at Home

Emirates Western Force Coach John Mitchell has named his team for Friday night’s Investec Super 14 Week 7 clash with the Stormers at Subiaco Oval.

The WA side will be hoping to celebrate career milestones for Captain Nathan Sharpe (100 Super caps) and Tai McIsaac (50 Super caps) with victory in its second appearance at home in the 2008 season.

The clash with the eight-placed Stormers is the first of three consecutive matches at Subiaco Oval for the Perth-based team, with matches against the Bulls (April 4) and Waratahs (April 12) to follow.

Mitchell has made minor adjustments to his starting XV after last week’s eight-point triumph over the Highlanders.

Scrumhalf Chris O’Young has again been named in the number 9 jersey but will need to prove his fitness at tomorrow’s final training session after pulling out of the Queenstown clash with a shoulder strain.

Scott Daruda, who will sign a new two-year contract with the Emirates Western Force tomorrow, has been elevated from the reserves bench to start at inside centre.

It will be Daruda’s third appearance in the number 12 jersey this season, while back rower Scott Fava returns to the blindside flank.

Coach John Mitchell said his side was hoping to treat the Perth crowd to a strong performance in its first home match in three weeks.

“Our fans haven’t seen much of us at home this season but the team is really looking forward to backing up our form overseas with a strong performance against the Stormers on Friday night,” said Mitchell.

Mitchell said the Stormers will be determined to complete their Australasian tour with a win.

“The Stormers have shown that they are capable of beating anyone in the competition and they have toured quite well,” he said.

“They are probably the best attacking team in South Africa so we are under no allusions as to the threat they pose to us on Friday night.”

Overall head to head: Played 2, EWF 1, Stormers 1.
    Last met: 10 February 2007, EWF 22 def Stormers 3, Subiaco Oval, Perth.
    Emirates Western Force v Stormers
    Friday 28 March, 2008
    Subiaco Oval, Perth
    Kick off: 8pm (10pm AEDT)

Emirates Western Force
    1. Pek Cowan
    2. Tai McIsaac
    3. AJ Whalley
    4. Tom Hockings
    5. Nathan Sharpe (c)
    6. Scott Fava
    7. David Pocock
    8. Richard Brown

9. Chris O’Young
    10. Matt Giteau (vc)
    11. Drew Mitchell
    12. Scott Daruda
    13. Ryan Cross
    14. Scott Staniforth
    15. Cameron Shepherd

16. Luke Holmes
    17. Troy Takiari
    18. Sam Wykes
    19. Tamaiti Horua
    20. James Stannard
    21. Lachlan MacKay
    22. Nick Cummins

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Was a fantastic match last time we saw the Stormers here (bar the end result)!

Here's to another great night of rugby with Force coming out in front - still got that "I Have Faith" sign, Skiza?

vCash
    Should be a great match and congrats to Tai too.

vCash
    congrats tai on the 50

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    awesome effort from tai considering how late he took up rugby ....and what more can be said about sharpie, the blokes a legend

vCash
    Come on Boys, let's get this show on the road (actually off the road now for three weeks...)

C'mon the

Senior Player
    vCash
    Would have liked to see Troy Takiari in the starting lineup as I reckon our scrum is better with Taipan, Pek and Troy in the front row. Also, Daruda has lifted his pace to become more used to the Super 14 game but I still think Spanner and Cross in the centres with Cummins out wide is the way to go. I guess its all about having another playmaker to take the heat off Gits....

vCash
    Can't agree with you there BeeJay, I reckon our best Front Row is Pek Tai and AJ.....but I can assure you we'll see every possible combination this week. Troy will come on at about 45 minutes, Luke at about 55 and then one of the props will suddenly strain something at about 70 minutes and AJ will just HAVE to come back on!

Look at the replays so far this year! I'm not saying we're the only ones who do it........

C'mon the

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeJay View Post
    but I still think Spanner and Cross in the centres with Cummins out wide is the way to go.
    couldn't agree with you more beejay...gotta get cummins on the field and spanner is wasted on the wing - he's a damaging ball runner

coz Stone Cold says so

vCash
    I like the front row of Pek Tai Whalley. Though Luke Holmes has been doing quite some good the past few games. Hopefully, we'll see another Whalley try and swan dive tmr. OR EVEN BETTER.... AJ Whalley intercepts the ball at halfway, and outsprints everyone to score a try under the posts with a Giteau-like dive.

I think this is one of the best teams so far this eyar Mitchell has put out. The forward pack is top notch and second to none, with Pocock and Fava on the flanks and Brown as No 8. Hockings has been doing so well and he and sharpe have formed a good partnership. But i think our line out needs to improve against the stormers. Our loose trio needs to step up, with the stormers loosies quite notable and hooker brits playing like a loose forward as well.

Chris O'Young will be able to handle Januarie, i think Ricky is currently out of form and isnt having the best of games. Peter Grant is up there as a future SA Flyhalf, but Giteau has the upper hand in running as well as kicking. Our centres are quite good. Glad to see Daruda starting, i always thought he was a better choice than MacKay. And Cross, need i say more about him?! I would attack the centre channel alot, especially between Bobo and Grant. Bobo isnt quite up there yet in Super 14 and Grant will be so focused on Giteau that he might let his guard down for Daruda more.

I'm looking forward to a great game tmr. C'arn the force.

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    That is a great line-up, FEAR THE FORCE!

Just happy to be here