Chairman says Waratahs must attack

By Jon Geddes
March 26, 2008

AS the pressure mounts on New South Wales coach Ewen McKenzie to hold his job next year, NSW Rugby chairman Arvid Petersen has called for the Waratahs to adopt a more attacking brand of rugby.

Petersen's comments come as both the team and the coach enter their make-or-break period in the Super 14.

"In my mind our whole season is going to come down to how we perform in the next three to five weeks," Petersen said at Tuesday's Tooheys New Shute Shield launch.

"I think it would be fair to say we have to see more attack come from the NSW Waratahs.

"We have to get an entertaining brand of rugby to get the fans in."

His blunt message comes on top of a scathing assessment of the team's performance against the Crusaders by rugby legend Mark Ella on 2KY's Big Sports Breakfast.

"It was disappointing, mainly because of the lack of adventure from the Waratahs again," Ella said.
"Of all the Australian teams, we've got probably the biggest stars but we play the worst football.

"We've got to actually play out the game a lot smarter. At the moment, we're just playing crazy football."

But McKenzie said there were no limitations placed on the Waratahs players in attack.

"The only limitations are the weather and being in a position on the field to attack," he said. "Our overall intention is to go out and score tries, and we are cognisant of the need to entertain."

Petersen said that part of the reason the NSWRU formed their Rugby Committee this year was to get more attack into the Waratahs' structure.

"I think first and foremost we want to win, we'll take any win," Petersen said.

"But we are still hopeful we are going to see a bit more of our backs and get a bit more attack play going.

"I think we have definitely improved in the speed this year, the young players all have another year under their belt, they have a bit of seasoning. There is no doubt we should get them all firing."