Thread: McKenzie is stoic but the message is Louden clear

vCash

McKenzie is stoic but the message is Louden clear

WHILE the push for Todd Louden to take over as Waratahs coach intensifies, Ewen McKenzie remained stoic yesterday, saying he was accustomed to carrying "saddle bags" of speculation that he is in his final weeks.

McKenzie's five-year reign as Waratahs coach appears to be nearing its end, with sources telling the Herald last night his assistant Louden is poised to take over if the team fails to deliver the style of positive rugby that several NSW Rugby Union directors are demanding.

The pressure on McKenzie was intensified this week when NSWRU officials said his future hinged on the Waratahs' next three Super 14 games. However, the Herald has been told that Waratahs officials have been scouting for candidates for some time, including in the northern hemisphere, where Michael Cheika and Alan Gaffney were on their list.

Another overseas candidate is understood to be Blues coach David Nucifora, who is also the favourite to replace Pat Howard as the Australian Rugby Union's high-performance-unit manager.

Waratahs officials have strongly denied they have been looking "externally", but one highly placed European source said last night: "NSW Rugby are saying one thing, but I'm telling you, they're doing the other."

At Waratahs training yesterday, McKenzie admitted he had been unhappy at headlines saying he had three games "to beat the sack", but said it was one of the trappings of being a coach. In recent weeks, not only has McKenzie been criticised for the team's dour playing style, there have also been questions over the fitness of the Waratahs, and the management's handling of league import Timana Tahu's hamstring issues.

"The team is going all right, but there is obviously a lot happening around the edges," McKenzie said yesterday. "The saddle bags keep getting loaded up. But that's all right. I'll carry that burden. Hopefully, the team can remain as unaffected as possible and get on with playing."

McKenzie was speaking shortly after the team had been addressed by James Castrission and Justin Jones, who recently became the first to kayak from Australia to New Zealand. It wasn't long before McKenzie was asked whether the Waratahs were up the creek without a paddle.

"No, we're all right," McKenzie said. "We're all right as a team. It's you guys on the outside who certainly have an opinion. We'll keep battling away. Others mightn't be able to see it, but we can see the finishing line. This is a test of character, a test of nerve, and I will keep fronting up. I don't mind. I've got big shoulders, and can carry a big load."

McKenzie said that what he had to achieve to hold on to his position had not changed.

"I haven't been told anything other than I've got to get into the semi-finals," he said. "I have been aware of that since the middle of last year. I am intelligent enough to work out what the performance parameter is. Unless someone can tell me there's a final four already been decided, I will keep going. Until someone tells me who the final four teams are, I will keep going. The team has the same attitude."

The move to promote Louden, who was the attack coach of Super 14 champions the Bulls last year, from within the Waratahs has merit. It would aid a smooth transition and he has first-hand knowledge of the changes required.

Louden has had a steady rise as a coach since guiding Randwick to the minor premiership in the 2006 Tooheys New Cup and a grand-final loss to Sydney University. So valued is he that after leaving the Bulls for NSW, he was reportedly asked to return as late as the start of this year. Wallabies coach-to-be, Robbie Deans has also noted Louden's ability, telling the Herald last week: "It was very evident, the impact he had on the Bulls."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to ..........."

vCash
    It would appear the writing is on the wall for Link

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    "NSW Rugby are saying one thing, but I'm telling you, they're doing the other."

Gee, thats a revalation - NOT.

McKenzie can be as stoic as he likes, unless the Tahs win their next 4 games in a row with bonus points all round he will be down at the dole office, with several other Ex-League players me thinks.

vCash
    In large Letters Jargan!....He's Goooooone!

C'mon the

vCash
    I figured that

and he can take Lote with him as well

vCash
    I wonder if this week counts as the final week re the poll or do we wait for the announcement?

The announcement will be three weeks away, but only because they've said it now. He needs to win the next three games in a row to keep his slot, but against the Cheetahs, Blues and Force, with our game being away, there is only one game which is not questionable! (and one which is a sure loss)

C'mon the

vCash
    For the sake of GIGS hair

vCash

Inside man threatens McKenzie

Inside man threatens McKenzie

By Iain Payten
    March 27, 2008

NEW South Wales Rugby supremos say Ewen McKenzie won't be axed mid-season under any circumstance. Equally, a Super 14 title might not prevent his removal for 2009.

McKenzie's future has again come under the spotlight ahead of the Waratahs' round-seven match against the Cheetahs, with speculation within NSW rugby that the coach has three games to turn the Tahs' style and fortunes around and save his job.

Off contract in 2009, McKenzie has been told he must make the finals to survive.
    NSW Rugby chief executive Jim L'Estrange has admitted, however, that he has already considered other options for Waratahs' coach.

Waratahs assistant Todd Louden and Blues coach David Nucifora are believed to be top targets.

Waratahs management have sounded out Louden about his future, but they say they have not made contact with Nucifora - who is also favourite for the position of Australian Rugby Union high performance manager.

NSW Rugby chairman Arvid Petersen, who has called on the Waratahs to play "entertaining" rugby and declared the next month as "crucial", said there was no chance that McKenzie would be sacked if style and wins weren't forthcoming.

"That has never been discussed and we are fully supportive of Ewen and the team," Petersen said.

"Comments I have made about the season in general are simply that the next three to five weeks are the crunch time of the season. There was nothing about my comments that were reflective of Ewen."

A decision on McKenzie's contract renewal is expected before the end of the season, but L'Estrange said he had considered replacements in the interests of the best long-term structure for NSW.

"We have given thought to it, we think about what options are available out there," L'Estrange said. "Having said that, we already have one of the best coaches in the game."

L'Estrange said that winning the Super 14 was the "ultimate aim" but he stopped short of backing his coach fully when asked if a title would secure McKenzie a new contract.

"It will go a long way to saying we have got the right balance, but a lot of things come into play," L'Estrange said.

"I think you've got to look forward to four to five years, and ask is it the right balance for the team. I'd suggest (a Super 14 title) would go a long way on anyone's CV."

McKenzie took NSW to the final in 2005 but Nucifora won the 2004 title with the Brumbies. Louden helped the Bulls to the 2007 trophy as backs coach.

Though denying a head coach job had been offered to Louden, 37, L'Estrange and Petersen did not diffuse talk that he could eventually fill the role.

"Todd has got to work out whether he has the aspirations to be a head coach," L'Estrange said.

"We certainly want to keep him at the Waratahs."

Petersen added: "We are hopeful he is developing to be a Super 14 coach somewhere in the competition. I would never rule Todd out for any future opportunity, but I have not had dialogue on anything in the short term."

The vast pressure heaped on McKenzie had had Waratahs staff and players privately furious.

But McKenzie said his "big shoulders" could carry the weight of constant speculation.
    "The saddle bags keep getting loaded up, but that's all right," he said. "I'll carry that burden and hopefully the team can carry on unaffected and keep playing. "There's no one (in the side) that doesn't think we're going to go all right."

The Daily Telegraph

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."