Thread: Johnson gets his Eagle wings

Legend Contributor
    vCash

Johnson gets his Eagle wings

Scott Johnson, who earlier this year dropped out of the race to take over from John Connolly as Wallaby coach, has been appointed the new head coach of the American national team, the Eagles.

Johnson, who was the Wallaby attack coach for the past few years, was on a shortlist of candidates to be interviewed by the Australian Rugby Union (ARU) - before they added Robbie Deans' named and later appointed the New Zealander to the position of Australian head coach.

He pulled out of the race at a late stage and on Tuesday it was revealed that the Sydney-born former utility back has signed a four-year contract to be the new US Men's national team head coach.

He will make his American coaching debut as soon as his visa is approved.

"We are obviously delighted to announce Scott [Johnson] as the new Eagles coach," United States Rugby CEO and President of Operations Nigel Melville said.

"He is very knowledgeable and places a strong emphasis on fitness and skills. He has worked with the world's top players and will bring enormous enthusiasm to the role.

"The fact that he has accepted the challenge to coach the Eagles for the next four years is very significant to the future of the game in the US," Melville added.

"His coaching style is very player-centred and he is excited to work closely with all our national squads' coaches and players."

Following the World Cup, Johnson turned down several other offers from around the rugby world, including Australia, preferring to take on the challenge of working with a developing union such as the US.

"I've always been a huge advocate in the theory that the success of rugby worldwide is contingent on a strong American foothold, and I feel privileged to get this opportunity to be a part of the development of the game on a larger scale," Johnson said.

As a player, Johnson captained the Australia Under-21 side and represented New South Wales, before beginning his coaching career with the Sydney-based side, Penrith.

He went on to become the New South Wales assistant coach in 2001, also coaching the NSW Blues and the Australian Barbarians.

Renowned for his in-depth rugby mind, Johnson then left Australia to work with the then struggling Welsh team.

He worked briefly under Graham Henry and then Steve Hansen, becoming a prominent coaching figure as skills coach for Wales at the 2003 World Cup in his native Australia.

He remained in his position following the departure of Hansen and appointment of Mike Ruddock, and was part of the coaching team that delivered the 2005 Six Nations Grand Slam, delivering on his famous prediction to the BBC's Scrum V program in 2003 that the then Wooden Spoon winners would win the competition within two years.

Following the resignation of Mike Ruddock from his post in the 2006 Six Nations, Johnson took over for three matches as an interim head coach until the end of the tournament. His contract having run its course, Johnson then departed Wales for Australia, where he took up the position of attack coach with the Wallaby squad through the World Cup last year.

"I want to make it clear that I'm not coming to America to coach as an Australian," Johnson added.

"When I'm there, I'm an American. I'm going to immerse myself in the culture and coach to the strengths and weaknesses of the American athlete.

"I'm in it for the long haul now, and it's important to get this right. In a rugby sense, this is the last frontier and I'm really looking forward to getting the Eagles in a position to be a world force."

http://www.rugby365.com/news/497532.htm

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Good news, hopefully he manages to shape them into a squad which will get some good results.

vCash
    If he does then his coaching credentials will improve and he could secure the Wallaby Job - he does come over as be highly passionate about Rugby - can't see living in the US of A will do his waist line much good though

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    One thing for sure - the USA starts taking this game seriously, it changes the landscape altogether...

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    This very good news for you seppos Larry......hope things come together for RWC 2011.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Great news for the seppos. There's a lot of (college) rugby played over there....and they have CHEERLEADERS..... too.

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!