Thread: Deans to lead Wallabies new era

vCash

Deans to lead Wallabies new era

Deans to lead Wallabies new era - Rugby - Fox Sports

Deans to lead Wallabies new era

By Bret Harris

April 01, 2008 AUSTRALIA captain Stirling Mortlock believes the appointment of New Zealander Robbie Deans as the national team's head coach will mark a new era for the Wallabies, but he admits it will be a journey into the unknown.

Deans, who is coaching the Crusaders in the Super 14 series, does not officially take over as Australia coach until June 1, just two weeks before the first Test of the year against Ireland in Melbourne.

It does not give Deans very much time to get to know the players and vice versa.

"Initially, it will take us out of our comfort zone," said Mortlock, who will celebrate his 100th Super rugby game when he makes his comeback from injury against the Chiefs in Canberra on Friday.

"I talked to Robbie before the season. He was totally comfortable with it. It's not too dissimilar to what we normally do. Everyone is focused on their provinces.

"We have two weeks before our first Test whereas last year we only had one week and it was extremely tight. This will be positive for everyone."

One of the advantages of sitting on the sidelines for the first seven rounds was that Mortlock was able to watch a lot more games on TV than normal.

And Mortlock has taken a special interest in the Crusaders, trying to determine aspects of their game which Deans may apply to the Wallabies.

"I'm not sure what direction he will take the Wallabies," Mortlock said. "There are certain traits the Crusaders display that I'm sure he will want the Wallabies to display.

"If we do that, it will be a good thing because those traits are the hallmark of a great team. We would be heading on the right track. We (Australians) are different in style and mentality to New Zealanders in general.

"There will be a little bit of tailoring the program to the guys he has at his disposal. It will be a little bit of the unknown.

"But the Crusaders' performance this year has just reinforced how successful he has been in Super rugby for a long period of time.

"It's a real positive opportunity for the Wallabies. A new era for Australian rugby. A great opportunity and a very exciting time.

"Everyone was disappointed with the way we performed at the World Cup. There will be a clean slate for guys trying to get in as well."

Significantly, this is an advantage Australian players will have over New Zealanders given the NZRU retained All Blacks coach Graham Henry despite the team's failure at the World Cup.

Mortlock is certainly a player that Deans rates highly. But his immediate value is to the Brumbies, who will be hoping his return will provide the momentum to make a run for the playoffs.

"Obviously, there is a big question mark over my match fitness," said Mortlock, who will start at outside centre and take over the captaincy and goal-kicking.

"There is a lot more ball in play (under the new laws) and quick tapping. The game has sped up considerably. I'll be off the pace, but not too much I hope.

"I've done a lot of work on my conditioning, but nothing really gets you fit like playing a match."

Mortlock will become the sixth member of the Brumbies' 100 game club, joining George Gregan, Stephen Larkham, Bill Young, Jeremy Paul and George Smith, who celebrated his milestone in the Brumbies' win against the Cheetahs last month.

"It's something you will look back on with pride when your career finishes, but it doesn't mean too much in the scheme of things right now," Mortlock said.

"I'll take a win ahead of a milestone any day."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    sharpie for captain!!!

vCash
    Agreed

vCash
    here here and Gits for VC

vCash