Thread: No noughts hanging over Cross

vCash

Smile No noughts hanging over Cross

No noughts hanging over Cross
    Tuesday 01st April 2008

Ryan Cross: A Force to be reckoned with

Former Roosters league player Ryan Cross is as good an example of the steady emergence of the Western Force as you could find.

Cross switched to the Perth-based franchise after it had taken the wooden spoon in their first season in the Super 14 after nine years with the Sydney glamour club in the National Rugby League (NRL).

He made his debut in 2007 against the Highlanders and played every game for the Western Force last year before being named in the Australia A team and playing in all five of their Pacific Nations Cup games.

After finishing last in 2006, the Force went into the final round of last season with a mathematical chance of making the semi-finals.

This year, they have claimed their first win on New Zealand soil after beating the Blues and followed that up with another away win against the Highlanders a week later.

An unexpected home defeat to the Stormers was a blow to their campaign, but coach John Mitchell and his troops are still knocking on the door of making the top four, with a run of home games still to go.

Cross' form in the midfield has been one of the reasons for the team's success but the former Australian Schoolboys full-back admits it has been a difficult transition coming back to the 15-man code.

"I found last year pretty difficult," Cross told the The Southland Times.

"Obviously, it's a new game and the season is over so quickly but I learnt a lot last year and I definitely feel a lot more comfortable in the team; I'm just really enjoying myself. I've worked hard; it definitely hasn't come easy, that's for sure."

Positioning and deciding when to join a ruck and when to stay out where among the lessons Cross, who switched to league straight after school, has had to re-learn.

"You've just got to get your instinct back and I think last year I was just half a second behind, but now I feel like I'm getting to where I need to be," he said.

Cross and his Force team-mates will be chasing a win against the defending champion Bulls on Saturday - must-win game if they have any hope of reaching the play-offs.

Cross was one of the Force's try-scorers last week - touching down for a consolation try against the Stormers in the last move of the match - and will be looking for more against the struggling Bulls.

An Australian junior rugby league representative, Cross is eager for more international experience, and should he continue putting in impressive performances in the number thirteen jersey - an international call-up is imminant.

"It's definitely in the back of my mind. I'd love to play for Australia," said Cross.

"Hopefully, if I can keep improving and the Force keep winning, then I think you'll see a lot more Force players in the Australian team."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Jasper

vCash
    Bloody hell, that Southland Times sure does get around alot!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    all these Southland Times inteviews were done while the boys were in Queenstown. The journos have to share the one typewriter in the great south so it takes a while to get the news out. They use the term warm off the press down that way!

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Umm

Cross and his Force team-mates will be chasing a win against the defending champion Bulls on Saturday - must-win game if they have any hope of reaching the play-offs.

Saturday or Friday ?????

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    saturday Kiwi time?

vCash
    "Hopefully, if I can keep improving and the Force keep winning, then I think you'll see a lot more Force players in the Australian team."

We should see more, but will we?

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tragic View Post

We should see more, but will we?
    Well maybe Link will stop using Wallabies starting spots as recruiting material now that he's sacked!

C'mon the

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    Umm

Saturday or Friday ?????
    19:45 here, 22:45 syderney time, 00:45 kiwi time.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    kiwi time??? was that article in an N.Z. paper ?

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    apparently so................

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    no. my rugbywa supplied fixtures for perth time, then calculations and memory for the others.

on friday night, sydney will be 3 hrs ahead of us and nz is 2 hrs ahead of sydney.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    kiwi time??? was that article in an N.Z. paper ?
    Southland Times....