Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Ella: Beale ready for Wallabies

vCash

Ella: Beale ready for Wallabies

By Jon Geddes Ella: Beale ready for Wallabies | The Daily Telegraph

April 10, 2008 12:00am

THE rugby legend who discovered Kurtley Beale as a 14-year-old schoolboy has declared Beale is ready to play Test football this year.

Former Wallaby Glen Ella spoke out in the countdown to the most anticipated head-to-head clash in Super 14 this season involving Matt Giteau and whiz-kid Beale.

The pair square off in the Australian derby between the Waratahs and Western Force at Subiaco Oval on Saturday night.

"It's a big test for Kurtley because obviously he's going to get measured against the guy standing in his way for a Wallaby position," Ella said.

"Matt has probably been the form five-eighth in the whole Super 14 tournament.

"Kurtley's got to prove he can play there and maybe force the hand of the selectors to put Giteau at inside centre. And we still need a very good No. 12."

He also believes a Beale-Giteau combination has the potential to create havoc on the international scene.

While Beale may still be only be 19, Ella says he can now step up to the demands of Test football.

"He's played most of last year, he's played a full Super 14 season this year, he's not going to be any more ready than that," he said.

Ella has been a mentor to Beale since he first spotted the rugby protege playing for St Joseph's.

"Once I saw him play I used to say to Ewen McKenzie and Eddie Jones, 'Don't worry when Steve Larkham retires, there is a kid from Joeys who will take over'," Ella recalled.

And for five years he has seen the skinny Mt Druitt youngster develop into a genuine Test candidate.

"I just hope he doesn't put too much pressure on himself to do too much.

"The good thing about Kurtley is he is not a big head. He doesn't go out thinking, 'I am Kurtley Beale look out for me'. He knows that every game is a test.

"He is a very mature 19-year-old. He is now comfortable in his role, he understands all the pressure that has been put on him and handles that very well."

Respected judges such as Ella, Michael O'Connor and Rod Kafer have all been impressed by how much Beale has kicked on in his second Super 14 season.

"The improvement in him this year compared with last year has been quite significant," said dual international O'Connor, who heads the talent identification program for the ARU.

"I have no doubt Kurtley will be a Test player. He's starting to refine areas of his game like his kicking and his goalkicking - he's shown he can knuckle down."

Former Wallaby and rugby analyst Kafer says Beale has always shown an aptitude to be able to handle the next level.

"He has the skills, the big question would be whether he has the composure and maturity to run a game at Test level, which you have to do at flyhalf," Kafer said.

"And that is something that probably only comes with experience and time."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Another joke doing the rounds ha ha ha

vCash
    About the only thing Kurtley Beale is ready for is his body cast....courtesy of Brownie!

C'mon the

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Spin, spin, spin. How much bullshit must we take from the east?

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KenyaQuin View Post
    By Jon Geddes Ella: Beale ready for Wallabies | The Daily Telegraph
    Former Wallaby Glen Ella spoke out in the countdown to the most anticipated head-to-head clash in Super 14 this season involving Matt Giteau and whiz-kid Beale.

helloooo.... bam bam, brownie!!!

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    if beale gets picked at 10 for the wallabies i'll be calling for a corruption and crime commission investigation ( Burkie style )

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nearthtop View Post
    if beale gets picked at 10 for the wallabies i'll be calling for a corruption and crime commission investigation ( Burkie style )
    The only way Beale will play 10 for the Wallabies in the next few years will be if Growden, Guinness and Glen Ella are appointed selectors and Robbie Deans has been sacked.

vCash
    Ella must've been hanging around Joey Johns too long before coming up with this rubbish!!!!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

Senior Player Contributor gustafsl's Avatar
    vCash
    What a joke. If they pick Beale over Giteau I'm going to become an All Black supporter.

Why would you put one of the dumbest guys in the league in the key position. Honestly some of the decisions Beale makes out there make me think he is retarded. If Beale plays 10 you might as well put Giteau at 9 because he won't be getting any good ball playing 12. Beale would be better off playing wing or centre where his bad decisions won't affect the team as often.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gustafsl View Post
    What a joke. If they pick Beale over Giteau I'm going to become an All Black supporter.

Quote Originally Posted by gustafsl View Post
    Why would you put one of the dumbest guys in the league in the key position. Honestly some of the decisions Beale makes out there make me think he is retarded.
    I don't think he's dumb and he's still only 19. He's been pushed into playing 10 without being given enough time to develop. He's got the the instinctive skills but not the experience to make the right decisions under pressure. Whether he's good enough to take that in his stride and keep learning and improving, well we'll see.

Glen Ella said in that article......""I just hope he doesn't put too much pressure on himself to do too much." ..........the pressure has come from Waratah Rugby's desperation for a decent fly-half and the media hype he's been saddled with since leaving school. I hope he can get past all that and make good. But not tomorrow night.

vCash
    LAWL!!!

vCash
    Not until he learns how to tackle.

vCash
    and the skills to make him better than gits!

i'll go one better gustafl.
    i'll get a bocs jersey!

vCash
    I hope he doesn't ask Giteau for tackling lessons!

vCash
    Whys that?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast