Thread: Shep's Column - Pre Reds Game

vCash

Shep's Column - Pre Reds Game

Western Force fullback Cameron Shepherd

April 16, 2008 11:00am

SIGNING again with the Force was a big relief, writes star fullback Cameron Shepherd.
    While I knew this was where I wanted to be, the lead-up was still a stressful time, perhaps more than you realise because it's always in the back of your mind.

Rugby is a business and you have to look after yourself, which is one of the reasons I only signed for two years.

A third year would have put me through to the World Cup.

I had that option, but I know I can be a better player and I want that challenge of the World Cup to make myself better.

One thing's for sure, I've definitely made the right decision staying here with the Force.

Friday night's game against the Reds is going to be another passionate one.

It was so disappointing, really sad, to have lost against the Waratahs the way we did.

It could have gone either way, especially when we were pressing in that final stanza after the siren.
    We've talked about it and now we don't have any choice, we've got to win in Brisbane.

A few of the guys were a bit battered and bruised after that game, which is not surprising when you look at the statistics.

We made the Waratahs make almost 300 tackles, that's almost 100 more than most games, and we made about 150.

It's a credit to defensive structures and you can see why everyone copped a bit!

Talking of copping a bit, Lachie (Lachlan MacKay) was looking a bit sorry for himself this week after getting knocked about a bit by the Waratahs and being left with a shiner. But then I guess he owes us a couple of years of being bashed!

I'm looking forward to seeing him out there on Friday night now that he's over his injury problems.

It's very exciting for him because he was probably looking at the season coming to an end
    wondering whether he was going to go another year without a game.

I thought he was one of our best when he came on for Gits. It's not easy when you get thrown into the deep end like that.

The great thing about having him, Crossy (Ryan Cross) and Scott (Staniforth) in the backline is that they are so big and dominant.

If they can make the advantage line it allows Drew (Mitchell) or myself to get into first receiver.

Let's hope the plan works on Friday.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Shepherd

The great thing about having him (Lachlan Mackay) , Crossy (Ryan Cross) and Scott (Staniforth) in the backline is that they are so big and dominant.

If they can make the advantage line it allows Drew (Mitchell) or myself to get into first receiver.

Let's hope the plan works on Friday.
    I hope thats not all of their plan!

BTW, thanks for re-signing Sheps!!

Last edited by laura; 17-04-08 at 12:43. Reason: makes more sense & answers no.8

vCash

Question

Quote Originally Posted by laura View Post
    I hope he's not giving away the game plan!

BTW, thanks for re-signing Sheps!!
    If the game plan is in there, it must be well hidden!!!!

Brother Gallagher I hear you

vCash
    with finals on the line, expect the ball to start going wide earlier in the phases, we need bonus points. cant wait to see the force backs unleashed