Thread: We've got a report but we've still got problems - Andy Haden

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash

We've got a report but we've still got problems - Andy Haden

We've got a report but we've still got problems - Andy Haden
    By MARC HINTON - Sunday Star Times | Sunday, 20 April 2008
    We've got a report but we've still got problems - Andy Haden - Rugby news & coverage - Stuff.co.nz

Former ALL Black great and astute rugby observer Andy Haden has labelled the World Cup review a "waste of time" and says he feels sorry for captain Richie McCaw being made a scapegoat for the quarter-final defeat in Cardiff.

The NZRU's much-hyped and overly- produced review of last year's failed World Cup campaign was finally unveiled in Wellington on Thursday, a 47-page document that was six months in the making and cost around $130,000 to compile.

And in the end it was a fairly thorough and honest piece of work, with the finger pointed at Graham Henry and the NZRU for a number of shortcomings, including the failed reconditioning programme, a poor buildup, a lack of on-field leadership and an overblown management and coaching team.

There was also a fairly extensive report on why a dropped goal was not taken late in the 18-20 defeat to France, with skipper McCaw being tagged the main culprit. It was found Henry had sent out a message for an attempt to be taken but that McCaw had made an on-field decision to press on for a try or penalty. But, really, the review produced few findings that the average rugby fan couldn't have come up with hours after the Cardiff capitulation, and given as it failed to reach a definitive conclusion over culpability and it was not part of the reappointment process anyway, it's been difficult to fathom what it has achieved.

This is a view shared by Haden, the former All Blacks locking great who retains close links to the game.

"I think it was a complete and total waste of time," said Haden.

"The rugby union have probably worked hard to get it as far under the carpet as they can. There's a hell of a lot of stuff that I think is radically wrong, and not giving [Robbie] Deans the job is something that was indicative.

"These guys screwed it up and someone had to carry the can. You can't blame your captain and then say 'oh, but he's a great captain'. That's only a symptom of what went wrong, and they should never have been in that position."

Haden is also heavily critical of a culture of arrogance that has developed around the All Blacks and NZRU management, with this report doing little to ease concerns in that area.

"We look terribly arrogant in so many ways," said Haden, who played 41 tests for the All Blacks from 1972-85. "Our apologies look to be delivered with arrogance, our excuses are delivered with arrogance. I just think if as an organisation we at least looked contrite it would help.

"You can say we have apologised to our fans, but you can't say that with a smirk on your face. It doesn't ring true. That's sad.

"The reason why people have been alienated from the game is because we don't look determined to do something about it. With this report and how it's been delivered, and what's in it, it didn't look to me as if they had a resolve amongst them to do something about it."

Haden was also interested to see the Australians are leading the way in the privatisation of their Super 14 sides.

"People say they hear the Australians talking about it and 'oh-oh, they've stolen another march on us. Not only have they got Robbie Deans they've got better ideas as well'.

"This is the sort of thing we're dealing with. They do adapt better to circumstances, they're lighter on their feet and they do get people who get the job done. We've got people who tip-toe their way round the rule book.

"If you have all of it dictated from Wellington, all controlled from the central employer, it's unhealthy, and it's anti-competitive. It's just like what we're getting in schools now where they don't keep the score in the netball game. We've gone down that track."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    Interesting words. I think I'm pretty happy he's guaranteed to be ignored!

C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Interesting words. I think I'm pretty happy he's guaranteed to be ignored!
    You don't agree with him I take it? I thought it sounded pretty level headed. I mean it was only Ireland and New Zealand (wasn't it) who conducted World Cup Reviews that cost thousands and thousands of dollars? Whats the point of that like he says you can see half of what went wrong for NZ and the errors Ireland made are too numerous to count. Why the hell did they reappoint Eddie O'Sullivan for 4 more years before the world cup?! It just ended up costing them 350 odd thousand Euro to sack him. God I hate the culture of the western world where you can monumentally screw up and still get a severance package that could buy you one of the Pacific Islands.

Ohh hang on. Do you mean your happy its going to be ignored because it means they will probably chump it up again? Well I couldn't agree more with that then.

vCash
    If he is listened to in NZ it will be for the better!!!
    No pride in the Black jersey for the players is the biggest comment from the public back home at the moment.

BLACK IS THICKER THAN BLOOD

vCash
    They (the NZRU) face a big problem. The NRL is pushing hard over there, and the Warriors are doing well. There was a comment in one thread about parents being worried about their young boys being props - well RL is the place if you don't want to be hurt in a scrum. The continued disappointment at the WC is cause for concern. Before the WC, the AB's were THE team. Now they are just another team, and with their great exodus - they are building teams for the Northern Hemisphere. If you want to see dark, be in NZ when they lose a Bledisloe. Been there twice for it - and it's a sweet tasting beer when it happens. The NZ is rugby. They still live for the Bledisloe and Tri-Nations. But until the crack WCII, they are not going to be happy. Do I read it right NZ peeps??

vCash
    They are so Rugby obsessed across the ditch that they have become too focussed on obtaining the only championship which has continually eluded them, despite the ABs' fantastic record & dominance. This has in some ways made them prisoners of their own history. What I mean is that they have so consistently overreacted by routinely cleaning out the whole coaching staff after WC losses that most observers were predicting it would be on again. This time they felt they had to do something different so they reappointed a coach who had adopted strategies that even Blind Freddie had spotted as very risky from the start. In so doing they shunned the man who was the best credentialed to right the ship for 2011. Any report that doesn't say that is a waste. Specially after the decisions have already been made.