Thread: Mitchell snubs Ireland job

vCash

Mitchell snubs Ireland job

Mitchell snubs Ireland job

Former All Black coach John Mitchell has rejected an approach from the Irish Rugby Football Union (IRFU) for the vacant Ireland job.

But the current Western Force coach says he still holds out hope of eventually returning to coach top-level rugby in the UK in the future.

Mitchell was among the top three contenders identified by the IRFU to replace Eddie O'Sullivan who recently resigned.

Another of the trio, Jake White, has also indicated he has no desire of coaching Ireland.

It leaves Munster coach Declan Kidney as the only member of the group identified by the IRFU who actually wants the job.

Mitchell said he wanted to see out his four-year contract with the Western Force before thinking of returning to the international arena.

"I have had an approach by Ireland," Mitchell told the Irish Daily Mail.

"I do not deny that I want to come back and coach in the British Isles at some stage but not now.

"I have a four-year contract here and I'm big on showing loyalty to this organisation.

"There have been some opportunities since the World Cup but building up this brand new club is important to me.

"I have been very clear about not pursuing any interest from overseas. There are plenty of challenges for me here,"added Mitchell.

Mitchell had his first taste of international rugby during a previous stint in the UK, at one stage working as Sir Clive Woodward's assistant in the England set-up.

He returned to New Zealand, coaching the Chiefs before taking the All Black reigns in late 2001.

He was axed as coach following the third place finish at the 2003 Rugby World Cup.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    good on him

vCash
    Thankyou John for remaining loyal. The players have been & its great to see that our coach is too.

Rookie
    vCash
    Perhaps he might like to talk to the press (and therefore to the fans who support his team) - he lost the job in NZ because he carried on like a big sook with the press and he has not improved a bit. He is also questionable when it comes to team selection. Watch what happens this week.Reckon Ireland may have been a good spot for him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allsaints View Post
    Perhaps he might like to talk to the press (and therefore to the fans who support his team) - he lost the job in NZ because he carried on like a big sook with the press and he has not improved a bit. He is also questionable when it comes to team selection. Watch what happens this week.Reckon Ireland may have been a good spot for him.
    he lost the all blacks job because they didn't win the 2003 world cup. the same reason new zealand always sack their coaches. the fallout is still continuing from last years world cup hence the joke,

whats the difference between new zealand and a teabag?
    the teabag stays in the cup longer

as for team selection, he's no different to any other coach. you have to pick the best team you've got available. same argument happens everytime a team starts losing. As for his sooky media persona, hes a coach not a trained media pony. id be sooky too if i had to front the media to answer questions about off- field player behaviour and not about rugby.

Rookie
    vCash
    I thought the Kiwis just reappointed their losing 2007 WC coach? It was Mitchells relationship with the press that led to the negative reaction from the NZ press that cost him - the Kiwis have their own form of Growden!
    Recent losses have nothing to do with my comment about JM's selection policy. I have been and remain critical of it for 2 years. Quite obviously he has to pick from the best you have available but you have to get that right first and then put the correct numbers on their back. I don't think that fowards make good selections in the backline - Connolly, Jones, McKenzie, Mitchell etc etc. Similarly, I doubt backs could pick a tight five (although they would have a fair idea). Speak to me after the team is announced this week.

vCash
    Yeah they did, even against the NZ presses wishes! I have never found John Mitchell to be negative towards the press. You've got to remember RWC failure is not taken lightly by the NZ public. Also its not unusual for the media to push its own agenda and twist stories to sell them.
    As for John Mitchell's selections, your post history is suggesting two things:
    1: your spanners biggest fan or 2: you are possibly related to spanner
    Having spanner at 12 was good during the forces first year as our outsde backs were average at best. Ever since his play at 12 has lacked the creativity to suit the style the force is trying to play. The ball has not been getting to the outside backs as much without the second play maker at 12. The tries started drying up at about the same time spanner was moved back to 12. Now im not saying this is entirely spanner's fault, it may be coincidence but the backs looked more dangerous when Duruda/Mckay have been at 12.

vCash
    As for the selections made there are a lot of factors to take into account each week. The gameplan, opposition gameplan, injuries and form at the least. You will have to be more specific about your selection criticisms for me to comment.
    I don't think his backline selections have been far off the mark this year. Shepherd back at 15 Mitchell at 11 Cross at13 Giteau at 10, O'young at 9 and Spanner have more or less picked themselves. 12 has been plagued by injuries and while Cummins has promise, he has made some critical errors at big moments ( tahs game ) and is still developing. Sare and Henjak were never going to have much imput and Hilgendorf and Pelesas have been injured.

Last edited by NTT; 27-04-08 at 20:11.

vCash
    In the forwards the front row has been difficult. I think Takiari is our best 3 and Mcisaac at 2. Cowan for me needs to put on another 10 or 15 kgs to make an impact. Hardy and O'connor's season has been ruined by injury. Sharpe is an automatic at 5 Hockings has played his way into the team and Wykes mobility puts him ahead of Pusey. Timani can only be selected in certain circumstances. The backrow has worked really well so far ( except the reds game ) with Pocock 7 Fava 6 and Brown 8. Horua has a great impact off the bench. Which leaves Hogson as the unlucky one although i would like to see him get more game time.
    For me Holmes, Whalley, Fardy and Longbottom need more development. In the backs J O'connor, Haylett-petty, Tatupu and Stannard need more development.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nearthtop View Post
    Yeah they did, even against the NZ presses wishes!
    Graham Henry surviving was out of the ordinary as far as losing RWC coaches go in NZ. ALot of my kiwi mates weren't happy with it either, they all said they should have hired Robbie Deans for the job before we did. I think the Kiwi media said something similar............

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Graham Henry surviving was out of the ordinary as far as losing RWC coaches go in NZ. ALot of my kiwi mates weren't happy with it either, they all said they should have hired Robbie Deans for the job before we did. I think the Kiwi media said something similar............
    Hit the nail Jargs....They're still bleating the same, tired tune!

C'mon the