vCash

Sonny Bill wanting ABs contract

Sonny Bill open to All Black poaching
    By Todd Balym
    19:12 AEST Thu May 1 2008
    Go mobile
    Related links:
    Image Search: Sonny Bill Williams

Bulldogs superstar Sonny Bill Williams would seriously contemplate switching to rugby union and chase dual international status if the All Blacks offered him enough money.

Williams' thoughts are sure to send shockwaves through Belmore after the club secured him on a bargain five-year deal last year worth around $400,000 a season.

The fact Williams agreed to less than his market value for a longer term deal could come back to haunt the Bulldogs if the New Zealand Rugby Union moves to poach the 22-year-old.

Just last month, Williams said his belief in loyalty was diminished after Willie Mason walked out on the Bulldogs last November and in the future he would only sign deals that looked after him and his family.

He could easily command double his NRL contract at the All Blacks and said the lure of defecting to union was genuine.

"It's probably the number one sport and game in New Zealand and every young kid aspires to such great heights as playing for the All Blacks," he told the Nine Network.

"If they (NZRU) did come knocking with a good offer I would definitely have to sit down and seriously look at it.

"I'm grown up now and professional so, yeah, I would have to say yes."

My view on it is he's just another player now, since Wille Mason and the other forward pack left the bulldogs he is not the player he used to be. If i was in the NZRU i would like to see money put into the youngesters instead of a player who thinks he's better than he once was..

But these are my comments only.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    You might be right though he is only 22 and with an escape clause in his contract (should he have one) the Kiwis might consider, for one reason or another, getting him across. At 2nd Centre (dunno where else he would fit) he could be quite a handful (even I will acknowledge that).

vCash
    I don't think the NZRU have much cash to spare, can't really do a 'ARU' on Sonny....if he REALLY want to play for the AB's do a Brad Thorn instead of coming to the media whinging he will only switch codes for more cash...I don't trust him...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    I don't think the NZRU have much cash to spare, can't really do a 'ARU' on Sonny....if he REALLY want to play for the AB's do a Brad Thorn instead of coming to the media whinging he will only switch codes for more cash...I don't trust him...
    With a good number of their stars heading north, might have enough to convince him across..nothings impossible. Infact, they will be short of stars/drawcards and may need him more than they would openly admit.

Champion
    vCash
    remember he is a impact player in league for his shoudler charges, he may be sitting on the sideline a bit if he doesn't change his game, if he moves to Rugby

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    that was going to be my point Benny - All he can do in defence is Shoulder Charge, which any fool can do, the real skill and talent is in the ability to wrab the player up, ball and all, turned towards your goal line to allow your teammates to rip the ball off your opposite number.

I can't see him being very succesful in the All Blacks, who even with the current exodeus of players to the Nothern Hemisphere aren't struggling for replacements.

Do they even need him?

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    i hate how leagues want to come to union only if they get paid heaps and guranteed a spot in the international team and get it even if they havent earned it! The only exception is crossy here...he was overlooked had time to work on his game and now he is ready and really deserves it!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    Do they even need him?
    Contrary to the suggestiveness in my previous post above, I hope not. My point is simply that with these admin types, you never know what they would do especially when desperate.

Falling spectator numbers (live and telly) = falling venue = crazy ideas.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post

My view on it is he's just another player now, since Wille Mason and the other forward pack left the bulldogs he is not the player he used to be. If i was in the NZRU i would like to see money put into the youngesters instead of a player who thinks he's better than he once was..

But these are my comments only.
    You're kidding right? He's playing a more mature game this year, making a lot better decisions about what to do and when. Earlier this year he was trying to take over the role Masin and Shrek played but he seems to be letting the other big boppers do more of that now while he's back to what he does best - ball playing forward running on the fringes.

vCash
    My old man is a Bulldogs supporter, so have watched SBW many times. Don't under estimate his ability - he can offload, break tackles and more importantly, make tackles. His shoulder charge is impressive in League, but obviously won't be tolerated in Union, but his skill set is a bit more than that one move.
    The ABs would no doubt take his better qualities and hone his tackling technique - one thing you don't see enough of in Rugby is a good ball and all tackle, especially with the ELV's. If you can keep a player on his feet in the maul, it's on!
    Not many things that keep me interested in mungo ball these days, but SBW was one of them.

vCash
    He likes to lie down too much. Maybe that will be ok in Union during a ruck or a maul or whatever but in League it just looks lazy. Watch a Doggies game (if you can stand League) and look at SBW after he makes tackles. Often he just lies on the ground after the play has passed on watching the game!! Lazy git.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    why all blacks? is he a Kiwi?

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by force addict View Post
    sure is bro, eh

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by force addict View Post
    Nope, he just has a burning ambition to win every game of rugby he plays for four years, build up an unassailable record, become an unbackable favourite, only to lose toFrance in the World Cup!

C'mon the

vCash
    Oh snap GIGS!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast