Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Come on Force fans, we can still get through

vCash

Come on Force fans, we can still get through

1 May 2008
    The West Australian
    John Welborn

Where are the true believers? On this website!!!

It only seems like yesterday the Western Force were charging towards the finals and the Waratahs were sacking their coach and in disarray. Suddenly, a cloud of doom has descended over the Force’s season.

During the week I have been inundated with emails and comments informing me that without Matt Giteau the team is lacklustre and even with the maestro the Force suffer from a chronic lack of self-belief.

So I’m here to beat the drum for the true believers. I’m convinced the Force can make the finals. Us too!

They need to take a leaf out of the Waratahs’ book. And no, I’m not suggesting we sack John Mitchell as coach. The team can turn the season around with a string of victories.

Let’s study the table as it stands and cast a clairvoyant eye over the three remaining rounds.

I am having a terrible year in my tipping competition but I have to come good at some point. The Crusaders play the Sharks, the Reds and the Highlanders. With Robbie Deans on his last crusade, the betting would be on three victories.

The resurgent Waratahs, benefiting from the superb coaching of Ewen McKenzie, should continue their stellar form and also run into the finals with wins against the Bulls, Stormers and Reds.

This secures first and second on the table.

The Sharks will finish with two wins at home in Durban against the Cheetahs and Chiefs and finish third.

The interesting mathematics is all around the battle for fourth and last spot. I see it as a six-way battle between the Chiefs, Hurricanes, Stormers, Brumbies, Blues and Force.

The Reds are too far behind to threaten but will do the Force a huge favour when they defeat the Blues tomorrow in Brisbane. Assuming the Force beat the Chiefs on Saturday, they will leapfrog the Blues.

The final-round defeat for the Chiefs in Durban will take the men from Waikato out of the running as well.

The Force will have their destiny in their hands in round 13 when they take on the Hurricanes and, given their form in away games in New Zealand, should romp it in.

The Hurricanes’ final round match against the Blues in Auckland should prove too high a hurdle. The Stormers have a tough road home with matches against the Brumbies, Waratahs and, finally, Lions at Ellis Park. Again the Brumbies will do their patriotic duty this weekend and beat the team from Cape Town.

Clear so far? This then leaves the Brumbies and Force to play for fourth in the final round at Subiaco. Simple.

I’m booking my flight to Christchurch on semifinal weekend. Are you with me? Hell yes, you pay and I'm there!!!

FANTASY FINISH

Final Now Rd 12 Rd 13 Rd 14
    Crusaders 57 43 4 5 5
    Waratahs 49 36 4 5 4
    Sharks 41 32 0 5 4
    Force 38 24 5 4 5
    Chiefs 36 32 0 4 1
    Hurricanes 36 31 5 0 0
    Blues 35 26 1 4 4
    Brumbies 32 28 4 0 0
    Stormers 32 31 0 1 0
    Bulls 24 15 1 4 4
    Reds 22 16 4 1 1
    Cheetahs 15 11 4 0 0
    Highlanders 12 11 1 0 0
    Lions 12 8 0 0 4

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by laura; 01-05-08 at 18:05. Reason: Swee's reply & my own comments

vCash
    It's John Welborn's column

vCash
    Thanks Swee, I read it online and it didn't say

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    Optimism is strong in this one! (said with Yoda's quirky voice)

vCash

Get behind them

I had already carried out similar calculations to John and realised that we can in fact (technically) still get into the Finals.

I have started on my placard for Saturday ... I STILL HAVE FAITH

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.

Douglas Adams

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by laura View Post
    Where are the true believers?
    right here

I’m booking my flight to Christchurch on semifinal weekend. Are you with me?
    if you book me tickets, then i'm with you

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash

Thumbs up

1 May 2008
    The West Australian
    John Welborn

Where are the true believers?

It only seems like yesterday the Western Force were charging towards the finals and the Waratahs were sacking their coach and in disarray. Suddenly, a cloud of doom has descended over the Force’s season.

During the week I have been inundated with emails and comments informing me that without Matt Giteau the team is lacklustre and even with the maestro the Force suffer from a chronic lack of self-belief.

So I’m here to beat the drum for the true believers. I’m convinced the Force can make the finals.

They need to take a leaf out of the Waratahs’ book. And no, I’m not suggesting we sack John Mitchell as coach. The team can turn the season around with a string of victories.

Let’s study the table as it stands and cast a clairvoyant eye over the three remaining rounds.

I am having a terrible year in my tipping competition but I have to come good at some point. The Crusaders play the Sharks, the Reds and the Highlanders. With Robbie Deans on his last crusade, the betting would be on three victories.

The resurgent Waratahs, benefiting from the superb coaching of Ewen McKenzie, should continue their stellar form and also run into the finals with wins against the Bulls, Stormers and Reds.

This secures first and second on the table.

The Sharks will finish with two wins at home in Durban against the Cheetahs and Chiefs and finish third.

The interesting mathematics is all around the battle for fourth and last spot. I see it as a six-way battle between the Chiefs, Hurricanes, Stormers, Brumbies, Blues and Force.

The Reds are too far behind to threaten but will do the Force a huge favour when they defeat the Blues tomorrow in Brisbane. Assuming the Force beat the Chiefs on Saturday, they will leapfrog the Blues.

The final-round defeat for the Chiefs in Durban will take the men from Waikato out of the running as well.

The Force will have their destiny in their hands in round 13 when they take on the Hurricanes and, given their form in away games in New Zealand, should romp it in.

The Hurricanes’ final round match against the Blues in Auckland should prove too high a hurdle. The Stormers have a tough road home with matches against the Brumbies, Waratahs and, finally, Lions at Ellis Park. Again the Brumbies will do their patriotic duty this weekend and beat the team from Cape Town.

Clear so far? This then leaves the Brumbies and Force to play for fourth in the final round at Subiaco. Simple.

I’m booking my flight to Christchurch on semifinal weekend. Are you with me?

FANTASY FINISH

Final Now Rd 12 Rd 13 Rd 14
    Crusaders 57 43 4 5 5
    Waratahs 49 36 4 5 4
    Sharks 41 32 0 5 4
    Force 38 24 5 4 5
    Chiefs 36 32 0 4 1
    Hurricanes 36 31 5 0 0
    Blues 35 26 1 4 4
    Brumbies 32 28 4 0 0
    Stormers 32 31 0 1 0
    Bulls 24 15 1 4 4
    Reds 22 16 4 1 1
    Cheetahs 15 11 4 0 0
    Highlanders 12 11 1 0 0
    Lions 12 8 0 0 4
    Too Bloody right I'm with you

Rookie
    vCash
    Dreaming! have not looked but can the force be the worst aussie team.

vCash
    We could, I haven't worked it out in detail but would probably have to lose all three games while the Reds would probably need to win two or three of theirs.

Be positive.

True supporters get behind the team when the going gets tough.

It's much better to support our own team, even if its losing, than have no team at all and have to support one of the Eastern States mobs.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.

Douglas Adams

vCash
    After the last couple of games will be hard to find the same optimism as I had at the start of the season still..C'ARN THE FORCE!

vCash
    He's right - they can lift and they can win -the Gods can smile it is possible for us to go to the finals - but all season we've been saying this - we don't know why - they don't know why - it's just not happening for them:

Some say to many are to young
    Some say to tired
    Some say to many negotiation's and ARU stuffing us around
    Some say to many distractions i.e Quokagate , Henjak
    Some say to many people bagging them all the negative stuff from over East is affecting them
    Some say to much reliance on Gitts, Sharpie
    Some say to many games in Subi (lets face it one is to many!)

THEY CAN - BUT WILL THEY ?

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    Whew...thats a bit of a stretch but I'd be happy with a couple of home wins!

and an end to the house of pain...

coz Stone Cold says so

vCash
    We play best as underdogs. After the Queensland perfromance we are well and truly not expect to win. This is when the Force play their best rugby.

Bring it on. Lets do our bit and win the next three and let the other teams look after themsleves.

vCash
    on another point..... we need 3 big wins to persuade the fair weathered members to renew for next season....

vCash
    Rabbit to run in a hat-trick outside the silky skills of the Gittsmeister, and begin a golden age in the annals of dom.

Yeah they can do it...nay WILL do it, I'm there mayor!

C'mon the

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast