Johnson may coach Waratahs and US
Bret Harris | May 02, 2008 Johnson may coach Waratahs and US | The Australian

SCOTT JOHNSON may yet have his American pie and eat it too.

Johnson is the preferred candidate for the Waratahs' head coach position despite having already agreed to coach the American Eagles for the next four years.

But a compromise solution may allow Johnson to be involved in coaching both the Waratahs and the Eagles.

Johnson, a former attack coach for Australia, is on a shortlist for the NSW job, which includes Sydney club coach Chris Hickey and NSW defence coach Les Kiss, who is being chased by the Brumbies to be their defence coach.

It is understood the NSWRU wants Johnson (attack) and Hickey (forwards) to form a coaching team, with Kiss promoted to a new role that encompasses more than defence.

While Johnson has indicated his intention to honour his commitment to the US, there is believed to be an unspecified "complicating factor", which may prevent him from continuing in the job, at least on a full-time basis.

If Johnson is appointed Waratahs co-coach with Hickey, it may open the way for him to remain involved with the Eagles, perhaps in a consulting role.

Former Australia coach Eddie Jones operates this way, fulfilling coaching roles with Japanese club Suntory, English club Saracens and the Blue Bulls in South Africa at the same time.

USA Rugby chief executive Nigel Melville was confident Johnson would honour his commitment to the Eagles, saying he had a moral and legal obligation to the American team.

"Absolutely. Why wouldn't I be?" Melville said from USA Rugby headquarters in Boulder, Colorado. "Why would he agree to do something he didn't want to do?

"Scott and I have spoken. He hasn't applied for the (Waratahs) job. He's coming here. He's here (training camp in San Diego) next week.

"There has been a lot of speculation. The fact you haven't got a coach at NSW is someone else's problem, not mine.

"As far as I'm concerned he is morally and legally obligated to coach the USA.

"If he wanted to be somewhere else, I'm sure he would talk to me."

Melville said USA Rugby was looking to Johnson to improve the skill level of the American players.

"I've known Scott Johnson for a long time," Melville said. "He is very player focused and very strong on skills development.

"We have some great athletes, but our skill level is not what it could be.

"We want Scott to improve our skill level and take us to the next level."

Ironically, USA Rugby announced Johnson's appointment on April 1, the same day the NSWRU revealed it was not renewing the contract of head coach Ewen McKenzie.

It is understood the Waratahs approached Johnson to reconsider his decision to coach the Eagles.

While Johnson has stated his intention to honour his commitment to the US, the Waratahs have reason to believe, or hope, he may still be available.

NSWRU chief executive Jim L'Estrange is planning to finalise a recommendation for the job of head coach before he departs on Wednesday to join the Waratahs in Cape Town for their match with the Stormers.

L'Estrange is due to make the recommendation to the NSWRU board at its meeting in Sydney on May 13.

"We have given everyone a chance to put their ideas forward," L'Estrange said. "It's been a very good process for us.

"The most important thing is not just a person in the job, it's the right person in the job.

"I hope to have the recommendation for the board in a week's time. That's what we are aiming at.

"We are not bound by a time per se. I will only put the recommendation up if I believe I've got the right person.

"If I don't believe I've got the right person, and I'm not in a 100 per cent comfortable position to actually take a recommendation to the board, then I'd say, I'm not panicked. It's like putting the CEO in charge of a big business. I'll get the right person. That's the biggest imperative."