Poll: Who do rate as the better Scrumhalf for the Force in 2008.

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Stannard Versus O'Young

vCash

Stannard Versus O'Young

Stannard Versus O'Young

An animated discussion began last night - this is a precis

O'Young clinical, accurate, faster - trys / action occur from the backs

Stannard - poorer decisions, slower off the back line - No. 8's score in the frist part of the match and backs in the latter part of the match.

When Stannard was playing there were 5 lost opportunities to score a try and 3 tries 1 by Hodgson, 1 by Drew and the last by Stannard.
    When O'Young came on there weren't any missed oppurtunities but there was a try - allbeit disallowed by a ref.

In general would it be fair to say that the games we have preformed better in we have had Stannard, Gitts, Cross and Mitchell as the starting line up ?

Curious to know what others think of this Hypothesis / Work of to many Toohey's ?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    I dont know that you can compare the play between the presence of Stannard or O'Young, there were other players in the team that were different as well.
    I dont know that you can put it down to 3 tries were scored when Chucky was on and 1 when O'Young was on, because they weren't playing with the same 14 others.

Last edited by laura; 04-05-08 at 11:05. Reason: oops

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by laura View Post
    I dont know that you can compare the play between the presence of Stannard or Chucky, there were other players on the team that were different as well. I dont know that you can put it down to 3 tries were scored when Chucky was on and 1 when O'YOung was on, because they weren't playing with the same 14 others.
    stannard and chucky are the same person

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    I posted the following in another thread

I think that Stannard had one of his best games so far for the I don't think O Young could have done any better!!

However, I think we seriously need to get a proper halfback so we can have a organised forward pack at the rucks and malls and that we can deliver good quality ball to our backs.

vCash
    stannard had a blinder!
    congratulated him on his try and you could tell he was pretty chuffed with himself.
    he picked the gap and went for it

vCash
    i thought they were both pretty good last night... so proud of stannard's try, what a 5 points that was! we do need another scrumhalf though. my dad brought along his best mate, who played srumhalf for the cats in super 12, and he was pleased with both of them, and he knows what is good from a srumhalf a lot better than me...

vCash
    and how far did the ball go after stannard threw it!?!?!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    First match I have seen Chucky play in person and I reckon he had a great match overall with a couple of blemishes.
    For someone at his stage of development for this level I think he is well on track.
    Let's not forget how Hennas went in the first few matches of 2006....

O'Young really doesn't do that much for me at this level and he went overseas for a reason. He isn't the future.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    i'd have to agree burgs.

vCash
    Stannard by a mile.

O' Young has zero physical presence, tends to over work the blindside and takes forever to find the ball in the ruck.

Every forwards dream is to become a back...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Stannard by a mile.

O' Young has zero physical presence, tends to over work the blindside and takes forever to find the ball in the ruck.
    stannard is definetly quicker with the recycling

vCash
    I'm going to go out on a limb and actually say O'Young. I don't doubt Chucky's talent but i have to say i feel much more comfortable watching O'Young then i do Stannard. I don't have as much confidence in Stannard's consistency under pressure. He does make some poor decision, and he is slower of the back line. Also, he often fails to consider his options when passing the ball from the ruck.

O'Young on the other hand is fasted and more accurate. Unfortunately, he can be a little predictable at times, but I feel right now that his consistency is safer than inconsistent flair from chucky.

Last edited by Jehna; 04-05-08 at 17:57.
    "Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    I don't know who you guys we're watching last night but it doesn't sound like the James Stannard I saw out there.

I agreed with Mitch Hardy when he said Chucky was not getting the back of all the rucks and mauls - would have said somewhere between 50-75% of the time. I would have said 6 decision in a row were completely stupidly wrong.
    The vision not to put the ball to the open when there was a 5 player overlap, instead choosing to go blind to one man with 3 cover defenders and then shouting at the support for not getting there quick enough!

Go blind by yourself and spilling the ball forward instead of feeding it back inside to 3 front row forwards who had readied themselves to bash it up a far better option.
    Throw a long high ball so Cameron Shepherd had to jump to catch the ball on attack - causing him to be cut in 2 and turn over ball!
    I need not go on.

COY is boring, but gets good ball to our playmaker(s) Giteau (and O'Connor) which where we better of with it.
    Although there appears to be no merit in a unstructured attack against the Chiefs as that is how they play. Against Crusaders a radical attack would be just the ticket as structure is their game...

If we don't secure the likes of Josh Valentine, who with my limited knowledge of back line play, seems to be a cross between COY/JS, I would much prefer to see James O'Connor in at half with Gitts and Spanner outside of him and COY as his back up on the bench. When we have a game like the Cheetahs or Lions or a team that could be particularly weak due to injury, that's when I would have Chucky out there so he can get game time and experience without the pressure!

Brother Gallagher I hear you

vCash
    i think its working well at the moment with stannard starting, he is just playing better.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thequeerone View Post
    No. 8's score in the frist part of the match and backs in the latter part of the match.
    I've read similar to this in a few places today.
    I think that on average that would be quite a normal state of affairs in evenly matched contests.
    The first half when everyone is fresh is more about grinding tight Rugby allowing the backrow to shine, with the gaps opening up for the faster stepping backs in the latter parts of the match.
    I really don't think that is any reflection on the #9 of the day?

Last edited by Jehna; 04-05-08 at 17:57.
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast