Thorn shows the way as code breaker
Bret Harris | May 07, 2008 Thorn shows the way as code breaker | The Australian

WHILE Brad Thorn, 33, is now a veteran of both rugby codes, he has become the prototype for the new-model second-rower in union.

When Thorn returned to the Crusaders this year from NRL team Brisbane, he intended to bulk up from 111kg to 118kg. However, Crusaders coach Robbie Deans convinced him to keep his playing weight down.

One of the main reasons Deans brought Thorn back to Christchurch was because he knew the dual international's mobility would suit the experimental law variations being trialled in the Super 14 this season.

A hard-hitting tackler with the ability to break the defensive line, Thorn was tailor-made for the new style of rugby, which is far quicker under the new laws.

"It has been one of the factors for me playing some of my best football," Thorn said in Christchurch yesterday.

"Last time I was in rugby, I was 117kg to 118kg. When I went back to rugby league each year I slimmed down. I got down to 111kg, which is really lean for me.

"I've come back around 114kg. That's not as lean as when I was in league, but it's not as heavy as I was in rugby.

"I thought perhaps I should get bigger. When we played the trials I realised how much faster the game was and I didn't need much convincing at all."

Thorn must hold the record for the number of times a player has switched codes.

Born in New Zealand, he moved to Brisbane with his family when he was nine years old and represented Queensland and Australia in rugby league.

Thorn returned to New Zealand in 2001 and played for the Crusaders and the All Blacks before going back to the Broncos in 2005.

"I was always going to go back to New Zealand to play rugby because I wanted to answer the question, if my parents had not brought me over to Aussie, would I have progressed in rugby in New Zealand?

"The (Queensland) Reds showed some interest. I played a few games for GPS in Brisbane under (former Wallabies prop) Tony D'Arcy in third grade. "When the Super League war broke out they postponed the competition for a couple of weeks. The Broncos had done their pre-season training so (coach) Wayne Bennett said I could play a couple of games for GPS. That gave me a little taste for rugby union. It was fun, but I had been dreaming about the All Blacks since I was three.

"When rugby went professional my father said one day I should go across and have a go. It was always in my thoughts."

Thorn said going backwards and forwards between two codes and countries was not too disruptive because he had only played for two clubs - the Broncos and the Crusaders.

"I haven't gone to different clubs. I've only played for two clubs. It hasn't been that hard," he said.

"What is really hard is relearning the skills. The game has moved on a bit. That's the hard part."

While Thorn has won two NRL premierships and one Super League title with the Broncos, he has not won a Super rugby title with the Crusaders, being on losing team grand finals in 2003 and 2004.

"My main goal is to win a Super rugby title," Thorn said, explaining his decision to return to rugby again.

"I've won two NPCs (with Canterbury), but I've played in two Super rugby finals and lost both.

"It's something I want to achieve. I also wanted to play 50 Super rugby games. Next week I'll play my 50th."

With the Crusaders securing top spot for the play-offs, Thorn has a good chance of realising his ambitions.

"It's going really well so far. We are still working on stuff," he said.

"We have to give everything we've got. We don't want to lose momentum.

"Once you are there (play-offs), who knows what will happen."

Thorn will return to Brisbane this week for the Crusaders' match with the Reds on Saturday.

"The Reds' form is improving," he said. "They always play hard on their home turf. Playing at Suncorp Stadium is exciting for me."

Thorn's good form this season is also likely to see him in the black jersey again.

"Things have gone OK," he said. "I just have to keep playing good football and then it's up to the selectors. It would be very exciting."

And that would pit Thorn against a Wallabies team coached by Deans, the man who brought him back to New Zealand. "That would be a bit weird," Thorn said.