Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mitchell says off-field incidents scuttled Force Ambitions

vCash

Mitchell says off-field incidents scuttled Force Ambitions

There was a brilliant article in the West Australian today - I will attempt to paraphrase the bits that stood out - again why this is not posted on the Web is beyond me.

Dave Hughes the West's Rugby Reporter is in Wellington and obviously got a very frank interview with Mitch.

Mitchell reckons that the Quokkagate and LeftBank incident injured the Forces chances at finals in a big way - there was far to many off- field distractions this year.
    Personally he found the entire season to be his most difficult season as a coach because of all the controversies.
    Mitch and Greg Harris are gonna do a major review of Season 2008 and identify what needs to change
    Mitchell said "People need to control their attitudes in certain areas. We have to st higher standards and understand what it takes to succeed in high-performance sport. We need to improve on and off the field.

Mitchells Shopping List for Season 2009:
    Tighthead Prop
    Hooker
    Loose forward
    Scrum Half
    Outside Back.

He wants to review the second row and look at succession planning in the Locks.

Mitchell also reckoned that improved depth was the key to success next year if they had similar injury crisis to this year.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    THP: almost half the props in Australia are out of contract this season
    Hooker: Adam Frier
    Loose Forward: ??
    Scrum Half: Valentine
    Outside Back: Andrew Walker

vCash
    Time to clean up act
    DAVE HUGHES WELLINGTON
    8 May 2008

Western Force coach John Mitchell admitted yesterday that the succession of off-field problems over the past six months had hindered the club’s bid for the Super 14 finals this year.

The Force arrived here last night to play the third-placed Hurricanes in the penultimate round of the season with only a miniscule chance of advancing to the semifinals.

In a remarkably frank interview, Mitchell said the Force needed to improve their off-field behaviour as well as their on-field performance to be a contender next year.

He admitted the 2008 season had been one of his most difficult as a coach because of the controversies the club has had to deal with.

The Force’s preparation for the season hit trouble on the now notorious weekend camp to Rottnest, struggled through a succession of exposés of misbehaviour and pay-offs, and culminated in the costly brawl at the Left Bank bar at Fremantle, after which starting scrum-half Matt Henjak was fired for breaking the jaw of winger Haig Sare.

“This year has been extremely hard,” Mitchell said. “Too many distractions off the field affected what happened on it.

“People need to control their attitude in certain areas. We have to set higher standards and understand what it takes to succeed in high-performance sport. We need to improve on and off the field.”

Mitchell and new chief executive Greg Harris are to review the season and identify what changes and improvements need to be made.

With centre Scott Staniforth the latest to be ruled out for the rest of the season after he learnt yesterday he would need keyhole surgery on a knee, the Force have 10 starting-calibre players on the injured list.

Mitchell said improved depth was needed for the Force to maintain a challenge next year if a similar injury crisis occurred.

He revealed he was on the look-out for a tighthead prop, a hooker, a loose forward, a scrum-half and an outside back. He will also take a close look at their resources in the second row.

“We’ve got to look at our succession planning at lock,” he said. “We need to consider where Pat O’Connor is with his injury and sort out Tom Hockings’ contract.

“I’ve read he intends to re-sign but I believe players are never there until the ink has dried.”

Perth products Kieran Longbottom and Dane Haylett-Petty will start for the first time tomorrow.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Someone said that Ratu who played for Perth Spirit was also in the Junior World Cup team any chance he'll come back to Perth for the Force?

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Someone said that Ratu who played for Perth Spirit was also in the Junior World Cup team any chance he'll come back to Perth for the Force?
    As I recall, Ratu was a winger who weighed as much as the Spirit props. Legendary.

vCash
    Do we want him? He seemed scared to tackle and run hard despite his size....very dissappointed he didn't have any Jonah in him.

vCash
    we dont need another scrumhalf!

vCash
    Yes we do, we just don't need him to be Josh Valentine!

C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    Do we want him? He seemed scared to tackle and run hard despite his size....very dissappointed he didn't have any Jonah in him.
    I didn't really get to see much of the Spirit being overseas but if he isn't the goods ahh well.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post

Loose Forward: Rocky Elsom???

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Good gangly God TOCC, what are you trying to do to us?!?!?!?!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I didn't really get to see much of the Spirit being overseas but if he isn't the goods ahh well.
    Believe me, if he went into tackles like a man his size should plus didn't SLOW down before contact when carrying the ball he would be brilliant....unfortunately he wasn't either of those things....real pity as well, he would have been a player that'd sell tickets as well if he got a bit of mongrel in him.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    BLR, the man played one or two games for the Spirit last year while carrying an injury that prevented him from playing and training for his club or the academy for most of the year.. With respect, you are wrong about him.

The boy was chased by the South African Bulls, offered big dollars (pounds) to move to UK, recruited by Randwick, who have him now, and subsequently selected for Australia under 20, on a bit more knowledge and appreciation of his abilities than I suspect you have.

He is an immature young twerp with the dedication and concentration span of a 12 year old, and with an inflated ego to boot, but that has nothing to do with his not inconsiderable abilities.

Last edited by fulvio sammut; 09-05-08 at 06:33.

Senior Player Contributor gustafsl's Avatar
    vCash

Please not Walker...please not Walker.

He was by far the worst player for Australia at the 7's, maybe even the worst in the entire comp. He can barely get a game with the Reds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    He is an immature young twerp with the dedication and concentration span of a 12 year old, and with an inflated ego to boot, but that has nothing to do with his not inconsiderable abilities.
    Yeah, I thought it was a mind thing more then anything...I mean, my criticisms point towards that do they not? It's not like I said he couldn't catch or run, I said that he didn't go into tackles hard or run into contact hard, like a man his size should...that isn't a technical problem...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast